Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Inspired by this video:

Watch the video first:

 

I thought what about making cloud cities in ksp?

Doing this requires any cloud or atmosphere effects* mod.

For balloon mods i think using hooligan labs,procedural airships or heisenburg seems to be the mods,

for cities maybe kerbinside or habitat module or just making out of structrual panels.

And there a few things that are not possible or with another mod like growing trees,or extracting water from clouds or having domes full of oxygen. In the title I wrote Venus,because also you can do this RSS and RSSVE.

 

                                                                          

*Atmosphere effects=

*Atmosphere effects=

                                                                          

*Atmosphere effects=

Spoiler

Examples:Astronomers's glow,Scatterer

                                                                                                                    

 

 

Edited by Curiosity7907
Link to post
Share on other sites

Question:

-Can I use kerballons? It's an old mod that adds balloons for hovering on atmosphere. My plan is basically have a whole city floating on the eve atmosphere supported by balloons

-I don't know of my laptop can handle cloud mods, it's a low end anyway. So is it okay if I post a pic without clouds?

That's all. I'll try this one

Edited by ARS
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ARS said:

Question:

-Can I use kerballons? It's an old mod that adds balloons for hovering on atmosphere. My plan is basically have a whole city floating on the eve atmosphere supported by balloons

-I don't know of my laptop can handle cloud mods, it's a low end anyway. So is it okay if I post a pic without clouds?

That's all. I'll try this one

Ok,can you use scatterer?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, scatterer is too much for my laptop. Even simple flying on kerbin is lagging a lot. But I DO have a design for my floating eve colony

Edited by ARS
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Curiosity7907 said:

Ok,can you use scatterer?

im going to be honest having scatterer as a requirement for a challenge is a bad idea because what about the people who cannot run it not everyone has a super fast computer so maybe tell people the altitude of the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2017 at 6:21 PM, kerbinorbiter said:

im going to be honest having scatterer as a requirement for a challenge is a bad idea because what about the people who cannot run it not everyone has a super fast computer so maybe tell people the altitude of the clouds

It can be possible without scatterer,but actually scatterer is for realism.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally I'm able to devote some time into the game. Here's my floating colony on eve:

Yxz6qd5.png

TCttIjs.png

It uses 4 heavy payload balloon to stay afloat. The engine beneath the structure is for stabilization (it's a nuclear thermal jet engine that allows it to run inside non-oxygenated eve atmosphere). The balloon alone is not enough to lift the colony by itself, neither do the engines. However, together, they allow the colony to be placed on top the eve clouds (Not pictured, my computer isn't strong enough to hande graphic mods). This is still a colony prototype. The structure is very hard to stabilize inside eve atmosphere and engine is not perpetual, eventually, the enriched uranium resources used to run it will be running out, and the colony collapsed. I might try to improve the design more if I have more time

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2017 at 7:13 PM, ARS said:

Finally I'm able to devote some time into the game. Here's my floating colony on eve:

Yxz6qd5.png

TCttIjs.png

It uses 4 heavy payload balloon to stay afloat. The engine beneath the structure is for stabilization (it's a nuclear thermal jet engine that allows it to run inside non-oxygenated eve atmosphere). The balloon alone is not enough to lift the colony by itself, neither do the engines. However, together, they allow the colony to be placed on top the eve clouds (Not pictured, my computer isn't strong enough to hande graphic mods). This is still a colony prototype. The structure is very hard to stabilize inside eve atmosphere and engine is not perpetual, eventually, the enriched uranium resources used to run it will be running out, and the colony collapsed. I might try to improve the design more if I have more time

this looks good, I think that there is a need for more habitat modules and nuclear thermal jet engines are cool ideas.Are the electric charge produced by nuclear reactor?can you use tac life support or snacks or kerbalsim that will add realism 

Edited by Curiosity7907
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Curiosity7907 said:

this looks good, I think that there is a need for more habitat modules and nuclear thermal jet engines are cool ideas.Are the electric charge produced by nuclear reactor?can you use tac life support or snacks or kerbalsim that will add realism 

Actually, the electric charge generated by solar panel alone is enough to sustain the colony, with some batteries. The only reason I'm using the nuclear reactor is that, the nuclear thermal jets is basically a reactor turned into an engine. It uses surrounding atmosphere as fuel, so in order to use it, it must be fired up like most fission reactor that you often see in near future or life support mods. And this reactor needs enriched uranium resources. The reason I'm using nuclear thermal jet is:

1. Jet engines does not work on eve

2. Rocket engines have poor fuel efficiency compared to jets

I can install life support mods, but one thing that I'm worrying is that how to resupply the colony, since this is basically a rendezvous inside atmosphere, though seeing how often people atttempted aerial refueling in KSP, we might even see someone landing a plane on eve flying airbase :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2017 at 3:24 AM, ARS said:

Actually, the electric charge generated by solar panel alone is enough to sustain the colony, with some batteries. The only reason I'm using the nuclear reactor is that, the nuclear thermal jets is basically a reactor turned into an engine. It uses surrounding atmosphere as fuel, so in order to use it, it must be fired up like most fission reactor that you often see in near future or life support mods. And this reactor needs enriched uranium resources. The reason I'm using nuclear thermal jet is:

1. Jet engines does not work on eve

2. Rocket engines have poor fuel efficiency compared to jets

I can install life support mods, but one thing that I'm worrying is that how to resupply the colony, since this is basically a rendezvous inside atmosphere, though seeing how often people atttempted aerial refueling in KSP, we might even see someone landing a plane on eve flying airbase :)

Some life support mods do have stuff like oxygen scrubbers,greenhouses,which recycle.Doing a rendezvous inside the atmosphere,while the target is hovering,should not to hard,you can try that in Kerbin,but remember that,the supplies will get recycled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...