Jump to content

Please Add More Launch Escape Systems


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

I have been making a new rocket, and I was surprised to find only one launch escape system (I'm inexperienced). I am wondering if squad can add more launch escape systems in stock?

I think that the time spent modelling, texturing and testing a new launch escape system would take more time than is worth it, when you can simply add separatrons to a nosecone for the 1.25m capsule. If you really want one, use tweakscale (modded) on the current one. I do imagine, however, that we may see some in the Making History Expansion, considering that they are meant to be replicas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alternatively, you could slap a bunch of sepatrons on the sides to have a launch escape system. Its kinda similar to what the dragon capsule uses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even the stock ingame escape tower is kinda wrong anyway. It burns too short and too weak. The Apollo escape tower could get the capsule several hundreds meters away in only a few seconds. As is the mk1-2 capsule is barely carried 30m from the ignition point, much less with a heatshield and or blast cover like the Apollo vehicle had. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I kinda wish it was easier to make a stock blast cover. That would add a lot. Maybe this could be somthing for the DLC, although non-DLC part would be better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14 June 2017 at 5:50 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

Even the stock ingame escape tower is kinda wrong anyway. It burns too short and too weak. The Apollo escape tower could get the capsule several hundreds meters away in only a few seconds. As is the mk1-2 capsule is barely carried 30m from the ignition point, much less with a heatshield and or blast cover like the Apollo vehicle had. 

Yeah. Totally agree. When I did a Pad Abort Test, the capsule didn't get high enough for the parachutes to deploy properly. Luckily, I added a monoprop tank underneath the capsule to power rcs thrusters that were ment to keep the capsule upright. The tank acted as an airbag, and Jeb, Bill, and Bob went home safe and sound.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

Yeah. Totally agree. When I did a Pad Abort Test, the capsule didn't get high enough for the parachutes to deploy properly. Luckily, I added a monoprop tank underneath the capsule to power rcs thrusters that were ment to keep the capsule upright. The tank acted as an airbag, and Jeb, Bill, and Bob went home safe and sound.

Thats good, but we really don't like having to LES and waste a tank as an airbag. So Yes, I would have to agree - More/better LES.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14 June 2017 at 9:41 PM, qzgy said:

Thats good, but we really don't like having to LES and waste a tank as an airbag. So Yes, I would have to agree - More/better LES.

Well, if I use the tank as an airbag, I'm not going to use the tank anyways. Unless you are playing in Career mode. Then yeah. Big waste of a tank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, qzgy said:

I kinda wish it was easier to make a stock blast cover. That would add a lot. Maybe this could be somthing for the DLC, although non-DLC part would be better.

A stock blast cover can be made using fairings, maybe not the mist beautifull option but it works! Just place an upside down fairing on top of the capsule and work from there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, NSEP said:

A stock blast cover can be made using fairings, maybe not the mist beautifull option but it works! Just place an upside down fairing on top of the capsule and work from there.

Ah, Ok. Did not know this. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the idea of more launch escape towers, and perhaps improving the existing one.

As previously mentioned, the current stock one is not powerful enough to be realistic. I find that it's effective for small 1.25m vehicles, but for a 2.5m capsule I usually prefer to use the significantly-more-powerful one from the Modular Rocket Systems mod, if I have that installed.

As for new ones, I think a small Mercury-style LES tower would be a nice addition - as long as it's powerful enough to be effective. Maybe also an improved late-game version of the existing stock one, to parallel Orion technology as the current one is Apollo-inspired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎17 at 3:08 PM, eloquentJane said:

I like the idea of more launch escape towers, and perhaps improving the existing one.

As previously mentioned, the current stock one is not powerful enough to be realistic. I find that it's effective for small 1.25m vehicles, but for a 2.5m capsule I usually prefer to use the significantly-more-powerful one from the Modular Rocket Systems mod, if I have that installed.

As for new ones, I think a small Mercury-style LES tower would be a nice addition - as long as it's powerful enough to be effective. Maybe also an improved late-game version of the existing stock one, to parallel Orion technology as the current one is Apollo-inspired.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out. I don't mind installing more mods if required

 

Edited by SpaceEnthusiast23
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out. I don't mind installing more mods.

The Modular Rocket Systems LES comes with a shroud (with built-in decoupler) but also works fine with a custom-built fairing shroud. MRS isn't updated to 1.3 yet though, so you might need to wait a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

The Modular Rocket Systems LES comes with a shroud (with built-in decoupler) but also works fine with a custom-built fairing shroud. MRS isn't updated to 1.3 yet though, so you might need to wait a while.

Specifically the reason why I didn't update yet. Just gonna wait a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...