Please Add More Launch Escape Systems

3 minutes ago, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

I have been making a new rocket, and I was surprised to find only one launch escape system (I'm inexperienced). I am wondering if squad can add more launch escape systems in stock?

I think that the time spent modelling, texturing and testing a new launch escape system would take more time than is worth it, when you can simply add separatrons to a nosecone for the 1.25m capsule. If you really want one, use tweakscale (modded) on the current one. I do imagine, however, that we may see some in the Making History Expansion, considering that they are meant to be replicas

Alternatively, you could slap a bunch of sepatrons on the sides to have a launch escape system. Its kinda similar to what the dragon capsule uses.

Even the stock ingame escape tower is kinda wrong anyway. It burns too short and too weak. The Apollo escape tower could get the capsule several hundreds meters away in only a few seconds. As is the mk1-2 capsule is barely carried 30m from the ignition point, much less with a heatshield and or blast cover like the Apollo vehicle had. 

I kinda wish it was easier to make a stock blast cover. That would add a lot. Maybe this could be somthing for the DLC, although non-DLC part would be better.

On 14 June 2017 at 5:50 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

Even the stock ingame escape tower is kinda wrong anyway. It burns too short and too weak. The Apollo escape tower could get the capsule several hundreds meters away in only a few seconds. As is the mk1-2 capsule is barely carried 30m from the ignition point, much less with a heatshield and or blast cover like the Apollo vehicle had. 

Yeah. Totally agree. When I did a Pad Abort Test, the capsule didn't get high enough for the parachutes to deploy properly. Luckily, I added a monoprop tank underneath the capsule to power rcs thrusters that were ment to keep the capsule upright. The tank acted as an airbag, and Jeb, Bill, and Bob went home safe and sound.

1 minute ago, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

Yeah. Totally agree. When I did a Pad Abort Test, the capsule didn't get high enough for the parachutes to deploy properly. Luckily, I added a monoprop tank underneath the capsule to power rcs thrusters that were ment to keep the capsule upright. The tank acted as an airbag, and Jeb, Bill, and Bob went home safe and sound.

Thats good, but we really don't like having to LES and waste a tank as an airbag. So Yes, I would have to agree - More/better LES.

On 14 June 2017 at 9:41 PM, qzgy said:

Thats good, but we really don't like having to LES and waste a tank as an airbag. So Yes, I would have to agree - More/better LES.

Well, if I use the tank as an airbag, I'm not going to use the tank anyways. Unless you are playing in Career mode. Then yeah. Big waste of a tank.

4 hours ago, qzgy said:

I kinda wish it was easier to make a stock blast cover. That would add a lot. Maybe this could be somthing for the DLC, although non-DLC part would be better.

A stock blast cover can be made using fairings, maybe not the mist beautifull option but it works! Just place an upside down fairing on top of the capsule and work from there.

28 minutes ago, NSEP said:

A stock blast cover can be made using fairings, maybe not the mist beautifull option but it works! Just place an upside down fairing on top of the capsule and work from there.

Ah, Ok. Did not know this. Thanks!

I like the idea of more launch escape towers, and perhaps improving the existing one.

As previously mentioned, the current stock one is not powerful enough to be realistic. I find that it's effective for small 1.25m vehicles, but for a 2.5m capsule I usually prefer to use the significantly-more-powerful one from the Modular Rocket Systems mod, if I have that installed.

As for new ones, I think a small Mercury-style LES tower would be a nice addition - as long as it's powerful enough to be effective. Maybe also an improved late-game version of the existing stock one, to parallel Orion technology as the current one is Apollo-inspired.

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎17 at 3:08 PM, eloquentJane said:

I like the idea of more launch escape towers, and perhaps improving the existing one.

As previously mentioned, the current stock one is not powerful enough to be realistic. I find that it's effective for small 1.25m vehicles, but for a 2.5m capsule I usually prefer to use the significantly-more-powerful one from the Modular Rocket Systems mod, if I have that installed.

As for new ones, I think a small Mercury-style LES tower would be a nice addition - as long as it's powerful enough to be effective. Maybe also an improved late-game version of the existing stock one, to parallel Orion technology as the current one is Apollo-inspired.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out. I don't mind installing more mods if required

Edited by SpaceEnthusiast23

6 hours ago, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out. I don't mind installing more mods.

The Modular Rocket Systems LES comes with a shroud (with built-in decoupler) but also works fine with a custom-built fairing shroud. MRS isn't updated to 1.3 yet though, so you might need to wait a while.

5 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

The Modular Rocket Systems LES comes with a shroud (with built-in decoupler) but also works fine with a custom-built fairing shroud. MRS isn't updated to 1.3 yet though, so you might need to wait a while.

Specifically the reason why I didn't update yet. Just gonna wait a bit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.