Famous hilarious pilot quotes

Triop

18 hours ago, LordFerret said:

I told him "Good luck!" ... more-so meaning to have fun. I got lambasted royally on the spot and was told you never wish a paratrooper 'good luck' before a jump.

And they got the same for the airmen, private as pro', ultralight as super-heavy. Never wish a "good flight" before a flight. Even in the air clubs I used to be some were laughing after wishing a "bad flight".

Or even the tradition to never embark onboard a boat with a rabbit.

ATC recordings on Youtube can offer a good laugh. Kennedy Steve is (still) always ready to drive pilots to giggles and tug drivers to drinking.

"Super tug, you're not very super.... Yes, mediocre tug?"

"Given enough thrust anything can be made to fly." -  Northrup-Grumman ejection seat rep.

"Only 2 things fall out of the sky.  Bird excrements and fools." - US Army Infantryman.

Edited by Fengist

"The purpose of the propeller is to keep the pilot cool. We know this because when the propeller stops, the pilot begins to sweat."

Or words to that effect. Not sure of the exact quote.

11 hours ago, Fengist said:

"Given enough thrust anything can be made to fly." -  Northrup-Grumman ejection seat rep.

"Only 2 things fall out of the sky.  Bird excrements and fools." - US Army Infantryman.

Only thing left to say after that...

"Airborne!"

"If my main don't open wide, I've got a reserve by my side. And if that chute should fail me, too... look out ground, I'm a coming through!"

Many likes have been given :sticktongue:. Here's one from myself after some friends on Discord were giving me tips on how to get my F-4 replica more maneuverable.

"Don't confuse me with all this technobabble! I can't build the thing. My job's literally fly the thing and pray to whatever deity of your choice that it works." My F-4 crashed into the ocean a minute later :/

18 hours ago, XB-70A said:

And they got the same for the airmen, private as pro', ultralight as super-heavy. Never wish a "good flight" before a flight. Even in the air clubs I used to be some were laughing after wishing a "bad flight".

Or even the tradition to never embark onboard a boat with a rabbit.

End of the day, as we all sat around having barbecue and beverage, I apologized again and told him I thought what I said was better than what I was initially tempted to say - as one would an actor about to go perform on stage - which was "Break a leg!"

His instructor friend spit his beverage all over himself.

This SR-71 blackbird exchange:

Until 1981, possibly a bit later than that, U-2 & SR-71 crews weren't allowed to discuss altitudes with air-traffic-control above 60,000 feet (for reference, air-traffic controllers refer to an altitude as "FL" for flight-level followed by altitude in feet, rounded to the nearest hundred feet, and then divided by 100, so fifty-thousand feet would be FL500). Soon after this restriction was lifted, the following exchange is alleged to have occurred.

SR-71 radio call-sign Aspen 21: Control, this is Aspen two one requesting clearance for flight-level seven zero zero
Air Traffic Control: (laughing audibly on the mic and then speaking incredulously) Good one! If you can climb up that high, it's all yours!
Aspen 21: (nonchalantly and without missing a beat) Roger that, descending to that altitude.
All who heard the exchange: !!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.