[1.3.0] Procedural Parts - Starwaster Branch

Starwaster

@Starwaster. I'm looking for help configuring a new container type and getting the Volume & Mass numbers right.

It's a procedural Equipment container for @Angel-125 new BARIS mod. I'm modeling the Procedural version after his 2.5 meter container which has the following the following parameters

• Dry Mass: 0.25
  • Wet Mass: 5.25
  • Units of Equipment = 2000
  • Mass / Unit of Equipment = 2.5

Could I get some help in getting the TankContentSwitcher numbers correct? I'm not sure I understand what dryDensity does, and I think that's my problem. 

<SNIP relevant parts from config file>

mass = 0.25 ??? I think this is correct

MODULE
    {
        name = TankContentSwitcher
        useVolume = true

TANK_TYPE_OPTION 
        {
            name = Equipment
            dryDensity = 0.1 ??? I'm not sure what to put here
            RESOURCE 
            {
                name = Equipment
                unitsPerT = 400  ??? This seems pretty straightforward as 2.5 x 400 = 1 Ton, but could very well be wrong too.               
            }
        }
    }

EDIT:

I think if figured it out...i switched from unitsPerT to unitsPerKL and it seems to work. Here's how it looks now.

MODULE
    {
        useVolume = true

TANK_TYPE_OPTION 
        {
            name = Equipment
            dryDensity = 0.102
            RESOURCE 
            {
                name = Equipment
                unitsPerKL = 652
                forceEmpty = true
            }
        }
    }

Thanks!

Edited by Tyko

One more question I need help on...I've got everything tweaked correctly except the dry mass. I tried a bunch of different mass numbers and even zeroed it out, but I'm still getting the exact same dry mass. Is there some global factor that's over-riding the mass in the config file?

Any help would be really appreciated...here's the config I'm working on with the mass currently set to zero

Spoiler

PART:NEEDS[BARIS]
{
    // --- general parameters ---
    name = proceduralEquipmentCarrierBaris
    module = Part
    author = Tyko (with Angel-125 BARIS content)

// --- asset parameters ---
    MODEL
    {
        model = ProceduralParts/Parts/cylinderTank
        scale = 1,1,1
    }
    scale = 1
    rescaleFactor = 1

// --- node definitions ---
    node_stack_top=0,0.5,0,0,1,0,1
    node_stack_bottom=0,-0.5,0,0,-1,0,1
    node_attach=0,0,0.5,0,0,-1,1

// --- editor parameters ---
    cost = 0 // 4000
    TechRequired = generalConstruction
    entryCost = 4000
    category = Payload
    subcategory = 0
    title = Procedural Equipment Carrier
    manufacturer = TykoTek LLC
    description = Made from viscoelastic nanopolymers (which were discovered by accident... growing in the back of the office mini-fridge) this container adapts for all your equipment needs. Hardens to a rigid structure before launch!

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
    attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
    mass = 0
    dragModelType = default
    maximum_drag = 0.2
    minimum_drag = 0.2
    angularDrag = 1
    crashTolerance = 12
    breakingForce = 500
    breakingTorque = 500
    maxTemp = 2000
    bulkheadProfiles = size1, srf
    tags = baris equipment

MODULE
    {
        name = ProceduralPart
        textureSet = Mu

costPerkL=0

TECHLIMIT {
            name = generalConstruction
            diameterMin = 0.1
            diameterMax = 1.5
            lengthMin = 0.1
            lengthMax = 0.5
            volumeMin = 0.1
            volumeMax = 1.0
        }

TECHLIMIT {
            name = spaceExploration
            diameterMax = 3.0
            volumeMax = 3.0
            lengthMax = 1.0
        }

TECHLIMIT {
            // Make everything unlimited for metaMaterials
            name = largeVolumeContainment
            diameterMin = 0.01
            diameterMax = Infinity
            lengthMin = 0.01
            lengthMax = Infinity
            volumeMin = 0.01
            volumeMax = Infinity
        }
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ProceduralShapeCylinder
        displayName = Cylinder
        techRequired = start

length = 0.25
        diameter = 1.25
    }
    MODULE 
    {
        name = ProceduralShapeCone
        displayName = Cone
        techRequired = generalConstruction

length = 1.0
        topDiameter = 0.625
        bottomDiameter = 1.25
    }
    MODULE 
    {
        name = ProceduralShapePill
        displayName = Fillet Cylinder
        techRequired = advConstruction

length = 1.0
        diameter = 1.25
        fillet = 0.25
    }
    MODULE 
    {
        name = ProceduralShapeBezierCone
        displayName = Smooth Cone
        techRequired = advConstruction

length = 1.0
        topDiameter = 0.625
        bottomDiameter = 1.25
    }

MODULE
    {
        useVolume = true

TANK_TYPE_OPTION 
        {
            name = Equipment
            dryDensity = 0.09
            RESOURCE 
            {
                name = Equipment
                unitsPerKL = 651.9
                forceEmpty = false
            }
        }
    }
}

For some reason after I save a spacecraft and reload them my engines move away from the procedural tank leaving a gap. In some cases they move into the procedural tank upon reload. I can easily fix it each time before launching, but it's a pain with larger rockets. Any simple solution to this? 

Hmm. I had such an issue with procedural fairings. If this happens in connection with fairings you might want to try deactivating interstage nodes in the right click menu. A screenshot of a stack with that particular problem could be helpful, though. :)

Cheers

SchrottBot

I think this is one of the most useful mods out there - many thanks for the maintenance @Starwaster - very much appreciated !!!

In line with @Murican_Jeb's comment, I remember the Procedural Parts Extended mod, which introduced elliptical geometry to Procedural Parts - it was awesome! Any chance of bringing this old mod back to life?

Many thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, hypervelocity said:

In line with @Murican_Jeb's comment, I remember the Procedural Parts Extended mod, which introduced elliptical geometry to Procedural Parts - it was awesome! Any chance of bringing this old mod back to life?

Looks like there are no plugins in that mod, just cfg files. Have you tried installing it with the latest versions of everything else? It might still work; I think Procedural Parts has been pretty conservative with its cfg formats.

10 minutes ago, hypervelocity said:

From what I read in the mod's thread, there seems to be an issue in how the tanks' capacities are calculated.

The "issue" with tanks appears to be a bit broader than that:

On 1/20/2015 at 4:23 AM, Azimech said:

Also note: these are structural parts only, you'll find no tanks!

So basically these are a re-skin of the Procedural Parts that don't contain fuel. Which makes sense, because supporting new shapes for fuel tanks would require a plugin to calculate the volume.

3 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

So basically these are a re-skin of the Procedural Parts that don't contain fuel. Which makes sense, because supporting new shapes for fuel tanks would require a plugin to calculate the volume.

Wow ... that old mod.  Maybe I'll give it some love in the future. If enough people want it, I might get motivated to do some work on it.

1 minute ago, Azimech said:

Wow ... that old mod.  Maybe I'll give it some love in the future. If enough people want it, I might get motivated to do some work on it.

I've seen several inquiries about more shapes; square and rectangular cross-sections come to mind. They (and ellipses) would be easier to implement as fuel tanks than the BezierCone that PP already has, since they have very simple volume formulas. Of course it goes without saying how cool it would be if someone created a system for arbitrary cross sections. :wink:

6 hours ago, phoneix_007 said:

I really need your help! My Cyro/BallonCryo tanks explode when I switch to vessel throught Tracking Station or Kerbal Alarm Clock. It says it was destroyed because of over heating :( Any solutions?

It's a known Real Fuels issue which has been fixed - just make sure you're updated to the most recent version.

• 2 weeks later...

Im not sure where to begin to diagnose this. I THINK the issue is PP on account when I avoid using the parts I dont get this problem. That being that saved craft will crash on loading in the VAB using PP's. It loads on the pad just fine if I bypass the VAB, but once saved no edits can be made because it'll crash. Any advice? Mod List    Output_log    KSP.log     

Looking at that last KSP.log I see a NullRef in relation with FAR/Procedural parts. Could that be a culprit? Edit: Tried removing FAR. No change.

Edited by Motokid600

On 9/14/2017 at 1:45 PM, Motokid600 said:

Im not sure where to begin to diagnose this. I THINK the issue is PP on account when I avoid using the parts I dont get this problem. That being that saved craft will crash on loading in the VAB using PP's. It loads on the pad just fine if I bypass the VAB, but once saved no edits can be made because it'll crash. Any advice? Mod List    Output_log    KSP.log     

Looking at that last KSP.log I see a NullRef in relation with FAR/Procedural parts. Could that be a culprit? Edit: Tried removing FAR. No change.

Error 404. There's no log files at those links

• 3 weeks later...

I have run the last  ver for 1.3 and it works well with 1.3.1 you will still get the message mod is incompatible with verson of ksp at the start of the game, but it works.  It just needs to be recompiled and versioning number fixed

On 10/8/2017 at 9:49 AM, Rafael acevedo said:

I have run the last  ver for 1.3 and it works well with 1.3.1 you will still get the message mod is incompatible with verson of ksp at the start of the game, but it works.  It just needs to be recompiled and versioning number fixed

i have gotten the game to start with procedural parts but when i go to load a craft with the parts it does not load. crafts without the procedural parts work fine. hopefully an update will come soon