Take-Two Kills "Essential" Grand Theft Auto V Mod

Melfice

<THREAD TITLE CHANGED BY MODERATORS>

http://www.pcgamer.com/gta-modding-tool-openiv-shuts-down-claiming-cease-and-desist-from-take-two/

Shortly after announcing that the GTA V publisher is probably undermonetising its userbase (having made mere billions from it's shoddy GTA Online service), Take-Two sent a cease-and-desist letter to the developers of the OpenIV mod.
A lot of GTA V mods use OpenIV as a base, because it offers a lot of hooks into the game code so with OpenIV shut down, modding for GTA V is severely hampered until a new solution is created.

The official line is that the mod reverse-engineered the game, but I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with the fact that this mod can also be used to spawn GTA Online exclusive vehicles into the single-player. Something RockStar has taken deliberate steps to disable. Because, of course, it's better to buy that content in Online because remember: GTA Online is undermonetised.

I wonder which other mod-heavy games Take-Two have recently acquired? I wonder which other mod-heavy games have been working on a multiplayer mode?
Not implying anything, of course.

Edit:

Update: I've communicated with GooD-NTS via email and I believe this to be a legitimate legal notice sent on behalf of Take-Two. I've also received word from Rockstar that a statement will be issued "shortly" but I have not received it yet. I will update this story again if and when I receive the statement.

http://gtaforums.com/topic/889348-take-two-vs-modding/

I try to be optimistic. I do. But if they're willing to stab GTA's modding community in the back, regardless of Rockstar's own feelings on the matter, I start to get concerned. Regardless of how SQUAD feels, I could see T2 stepping in and deciding that "Oh, you've been making a mod for EVA parachutes for years? Oh well, our new DLC has EVA parachutes and now you're competing/infringing on our trademark." 

I mean, there's apparently a chance that the letter's fake, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I personally will be keeping a close eye on this for the foreseeable future... Simply put I don't trust Take Two.  I have been burned by them one too many times.  With their recent Nuking of GTA Mods I am very concerned that it is possible that they will do the same thing to KSP.  It may not happen, but it makes me extremely concerned.

4 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Squad PR has confirmed multiple times that the game will stay open for modding. Please stop fear-mongering, it does nothing for anyone.

The only problem about this is that Squad PR (or Squad itself) is not the one to decide what happens with mod support.

Though I personally do not believe that mod support will be axed, since it would be quite difficult to enforce: as long as people do not download a new game version with some new EULA, they have every right to modify their (old) version of the game and share these modifications. The people who play KSP modded are just not enough to waste legal efforts on, money is made with the hordes of people who are willing to pay money to be spared the tedium of installing mods (well, the most money will probably still made with people who see a shiny add, buy the game at full price, and then do not play it).

1 minute ago, cfds said:

The only problem about this is that Squad PR (or Squad itself) is not the one to decide what happens with mod support.

Squad probably worked that into the terms of the purchase. If that's what happened and TT agreed, they can't touch it. Since Squad has said it now multiple times, I'm confident that TT isn't going to touch mods. 

22 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

KSP PR has confirmed several times that the game will stay open for modding. Speculations like this do nothing but create neadless fear.

Its not baseless, especially now that DLC are coming out (which, you know, is something which can compete with mods since a DLC for KSP basically just is a mod), and its not like its really up to the KSP team anymore...

Well considering GTA is a haven for trolls and griefers alike (ive run into more than my fair share there) AND allowing online only content in single player to me sounds like a reasonable reason to kill such a mod. If moving content around like that is possible with such a mod then altering your maze bank account with illicit funds, god moding, and so on are not beyond possible and i think R* TT2 were absolutely spot on correct to shut that down.

And since KSP is a game that is single player AND is absolutely NOT suited to an online environment we reasonably have nothing to fear about our mods. I have given my list on why mp isnt suited to ksp but i will give my short list again in no order:

1. Mod compatibility

2. Part counts

3. Computer performance high end vs potato

4. Time warp

5. Trolls

6. Griefers

i can go on but i shant.

time 00:49:05

10 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

Well considering GTA is a haven for trolls and griefers alike (ive run into more than my fair share there) AND allowing online only content in single player to me sounds like a reasonable reason to kill such a mod. If moving content around like that is possible with such a mod then altering your maze bank account with illicit funds, god moding, and so on are not beyond possible and i think R* TT2 were absolutely spot on correct to shut that down.

The mod they were banning only effected the singleplayer, actually. 

Edited by nosirrbro

3 minutes ago, nosirrbro said:

The mod they were banning only effected the singleplayer, actually. 

No, it let single players use cars, weapons and what not that were exclusively meant for online only as well, directly competing with TT online sales of these items.

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Galileo said:

No, it let single players use cars, weapons and what not that were exclusively meant for online only as well. 

Well, yes, but that still only effects single player in the sense the mod does not work in multiplayer, which was my point. 

1 hour ago, Melfice said:

I wonder which other mod-heavy games Take-Two have recently acquired? I wonder which other mod-heavy games have been working on a multiplayer mode?

KSP falls under only one of those categories...:P

14 minutes ago, nosirrbro said:

Well, yes, but that still only effects single player in the sense the mod does not work in multiplayer, which was my point. 

Yes, but TT wants those players to buy that car or that gun regardless. They felt they were losing money, through that mod, so they shut it down. So while it doesn't add or change anything online, it does have affect on the multiplayer aspect of the game for TT, particularly the financial aspect.

Regardless, if the Developers of KSP, which now work under TT, have said "modding isn't going anywhere", then I believe it. If that wasn't the case, I think TT would have told them prior to them making that statement, don't you think?

nothing will happen to the modding community and KSP. 

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Galileo said:

Yes, but TT wants those players to buy that car or that gun regardless. They felt they were losing money, through that mod, so they shut it down. So while it doesn't add or change anything online, it does have affect on the multiplayer aspect of the game for TT, particularly the financial aspect.

Regardless, if the Developers of KSP, which now work under TT, have said "modding isn't going anywhere", then I believe it. If that wasn't the case, I think TT would have told them prior to them making that claim, don't you think?

Perhaps, but its not good to just assume everything will be fine and don't look into it at all.

And anyway, TTWO could say they were losing DLC sales from mods and use the same logic.

Just now, nosirrbro said:

Perhaps, but its not good to just assume everything will be fine and don't look into it at all.

And anyway, TTWO could say they were losing DLC sales from mods and use the same logic.

They could, but I would assume Squad had in the purchase agreement that mods were to stay. It's the biggest selling point of KSP. 

Just now, Galileo said:

They could, but I would assume Squad had in the purchase agreement that mods were to stay. It's the biggest selling point of KSP. 

It could be, but it also could be that Squad didn't even consider it a possiblity as take two hadn't been known to do it when said deal was proposed.

3 minutes ago, nosirrbro said:

It could be, but it also could be that Squad didn't even consider it a possiblity as take two hadn't been known to do it when said deal was proposed.

They did it a couple of times actually. They strong armed a few modders out there into giving up their mod because they were a "competitor" to their product. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-10-take-two-sends-private-investigators-to-gta5-modders-home-report

now, this was in regards to the multiplayer stuff, but all the same. 

1 hour ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

KSP PR has confirmed several times that the game will stay open for modding. Speculations like this do nothing but create neadless fear.

What KSP's PR says now has little bearing on what Take Two will decide to do in the future, you know.

4 minutes ago, qeveren said:

What KSP's PR says now has little bearing on what Take Two will decide to do in the future, you know.

Again, if the Developers of KSP, which now work under TT, have said "modding isn't going anywhere", then I believe it. If that wasn't the case, I think TT would have told them prior to them making that statement, don't you think? We have absolutely zero reason to think otherwise. 

We only know what we have been told by devs that now work for TT. Anything else is speculation and fear mongering. What does the community stand to gain from that?

Edited by Galileo

5 minutes ago, Galileo said:

They did it a couple of times actually. They strong armed a few modders out there into giving up their mod because they were a "competitor" to their product. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-10-take-two-sends-private-investigators-to-gta5-modders-home-report

now, this was in regards to the multiplayer stuff, but all the same. 

Its still entirely possible they simply would not have considered it, after all if they liked take two enough to sell KSP to them then they likely were mostly unaware of their more shady actions.

1 minute ago, nosirrbro said:

Its still entirely possible they simply would not have considered it, after all if they liked take two enough to sell KSP to them then they likely were mostly unaware of their more shady actions.

Or, TT agreed to the terms Squad set out. Who knows? I sure don't and we won't know anything until it happens, but I'm going to go with what the devs have said thus far since there is nothing else available that says different.

Just now, Galileo said:

Or, TT agreed to the terms Squad set out. Who knows? I sure don't and we won't know anything until it happens, but I'm going to go with what the devs have said thus far since there is nothing else available that says different.

Yes, its certainly nothing to panic about, but it is something to watch out for in the future, especially with the coming DLCs. Don't blindly accept absolutely anything someone tells you with absolute certainty.