[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.54 June 15

rsparkyc

8 hours ago, ubik2 said:

I'm pretty sure this is an issue with Principia. If you remove it, the moon stops teleporting around and blowing up any ship that gets too close to the surface.

For a while, I would drop Principia in for getting my craft from Earth orbit to a Lunar orbit, then remove the mod and restart to land, then add it again when I'm done. These days, I've been running enough Lunar missions that I haven't bothered re-enabling it. Unfortunately, it actually needs to be removed (it's not enough to disable it from the in-game Principia UI), and with the long startup times, it's tedious to switch.

This is a known issue https://github.com/mockingbirdnest/Principia/issues/1413 , and i believe the commonly employed workaround is to set 1x warp altitude higher than the highest point of planetary surface in RSS kopernicus configs. I also heard rumours that the next RSS release was gonna fix it

Edited by nanomage

The time warp fix is actually very easy to implement:

• Browse to the "RealSolarSystem/RSSKopernicus/Earth" directory
  • Open the "Moon.cfg" config file
  • Find the line No. 41 (should  read "timewarpAltitudeLimits")
  • Change the second value from "5000" to "15000"
  • Save the changes and (re)start KSP

Source: GitHub fix-up PR (https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealSolarSystem/commit/9c611dc4b8481fbde735cfd5a377f71eeb8f0c17)

Edited by Phineas Freak

Thank you all for your responses.

Removing Principia has worked, however the time warp fix did not, at least not for my current savegame (maybe it was because I was already too close to the moon so the bug was already "saved"?). I will see next moon landing if the time warp fix helps, if it doesnt, then maybe i will remove principia for good.

Removing Principia has also significantly improved performance on my machine, especially during timewarps. Maybe it just has issues with my Pc being too slow? That'd be odd, because my processor is actually pretty good (3.6ghz/4 cores)

Edited by Leraw

Apologies if this has been asked, but I haven't located the question or answer in the forum, if it has.

I'm running the published RP-0 (installed from CKAN) on 1.2.2, and I'm at the point where I should be able to unlock the Hydrolox node in the R&D Building (the one with the J-2 engines, not the early Hydrolox).

I'm not able to do so, because the button to research the node is missing. Not greyed out or inactive -- it's just not there.

I think I've seen @NathanKell mention the same bug in the recent Race Into Space campaign on YouTube, but I don't recall him mentioning a specific fix or workaround. (Though admittedly, I haven't yet caught up through all the back episodes.)

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful. I'm not afraid to hack savefiles, etc. to get around the issue, but I don't want to just randomly flail at it without any understanding.

Thanks in advance...

1 hour ago, Zophos said:

Apologies if this has been asked, but I haven't located the question or answer in the forum, if it has.

I'm running the published RP-0 (installed from CKAN) on 1.2.2, and I'm at the point where I should be able to unlock the Hydrolox node in the R&D Building (the one with the J-2 engines, not the early Hydrolox).

I'm not able to do so, because the button to research the node is missing. Not greyed out or inactive -- it's just not there.

I think I've seen @NathanKell mention the same bug in the recent Race Into Space campaign on YouTube, but I don't recall him mentioning a specific fix or workaround. (Though admittedly, I haven't yet caught up through all the back episodes.)

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful. I'm not afraid to hack savefiles, etc. to get around the issue, but I don't want to just randomly flail at it without any understanding.

Thanks in advance...

Did you look into the Kerbal Contruction Time thingy? I once had a simliar problem and forgot it was already scheduled in KCT.

1 hour ago, Lilienthal said:

Did you look into the Kerbal Contruction Time thingy? I once had a simliar problem and forgot it was already scheduled in KCT.

@Lilienthal: Thanks for the quick response. I'm certain it's not scheduled, and in any case, I can unlock the ones I've scheduled that have not yet completed. I can also unlock other nodes that I hadn't already scheduled.  Specifically, I got a pile of science from a Venus fly-by mission, which I went to spend. I clicked on, and unlocked, all the nodes that I had already scheduled, then started unlocking new nodes. After I'd unlocked three or four, I tried hydrolox, but no unlock button was available.

On 8/26/2017 at 3:47 AM, Leraw said:

Thank you all for your responses.

Removing Principia has worked, however the time warp fix did not, at least not for my current savegame (maybe it was because I was already too close to the moon so the bug was already "saved"?). I will see next moon landing if the time warp fix helps, if it doesnt, then maybe i will remove principia for good.

Removing Principia has also significantly improved performance on my machine, especially during timewarps. Maybe it just has issues with my Pc being too slow? That'd be odd, because my processor is actually pretty good (3.6ghz/4 cores)

the quaking terrain issue, and landers bouncing/exploding on touchdown, is not performance-related, it's known to be caused by principia trying to manipulate vessel position at the ground level. Here's how i edited the timewarp altidude definitions to solve this (i was very blunt in my approach because i don't really know what these numbers refer too:

timewarpAltitudeLimits = 30000 30000 30000 30000 100000 300000 600000 1000000

with this i can land, though descending from 30k without timewarp can get tedious

Edited by nanomage

15 hours ago, Zophos said:

@Lilienthal: Thanks for the quick response. I'm certain it's not scheduled, and in any case, I can unlock the ones I've scheduled that have not yet completed. I can also unlock other nodes that I hadn't already scheduled.  Specifically, I got a pile of science from a Venus fly-by mission, which I went to spend. I clicked on, and unlocked, all the nodes that I had already scheduled, then started unlocking new nodes. After I'd unlocked three or four, I tried hydrolox, but no unlock button was available.

For those coming along behind me, here's a workaround: I edited the tech tree to make it possible to unlock the Hydrolox node if any of its prerequisites are unlocked, rather than all of its prerequisites. Details below. The upshot is that Hydrolox can be unlocked even if the Heavy Orbital Rocketry node is not (which I'm fine with doing, because I have, in fact, scheduled that node in KCT), and now the button shows up in the R&C Building.

The specific edit is as follows, for my current install (RP-0 ver. 0.54):

Spoiler
  • Open the file <KSP>/GameData/RP-0/CTTChanges.cfg in an editor. (Notepad++ is a good choice.)
  • Locate the "rp0_node4_hydroloxTL3" node in the tree (likely at or around line 683, or by searching)
  • Change the line "anyToUnlock = False" to "anyToUnlock = True".
  • Return to the R&D Building and unlock Hydrolox (after unlocking Early Hydrolox).
  • Profit.

This will get around the immediate problem, and an analogous edit can probably work around any other issues that come up with any other nodes that refuse to unlock.

Edited by Zophos
Spoilered instructions

Hi there. I'm using the latest dev releases of RO, RSS and RP0. My problem is that while EVAs work perfectly well, EVA reports can't be performed, either through the right-click menu or through [x]science. Any ideas on what the problem could be? I can provide logs if necessary, but given timezone and lateness, I probably can't reply until tomorrow (I'm really sorry).

I have a question about Remote Tech communication network contracts. I'm doing a contract to set up a 3 satellite network, but I can't complete it. I've got the satellites in the correct orbit, each one has two omni directional antennae and two dishes, one pointed at earth, the other at 'active vessel', but the contract says 'Earth Communication coverage 0%/60%'. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

22 hours ago, DocRockwell said:

I have a question about Remote Tech communication network contracts. I'm doing a contract to set up a 3 satellite network, but I can't complete it. I've got the satellites in the correct orbit, each one has two omni directional antennae and two dishes, one pointed at earth, the other at 'active vessel', but the contract says 'Earth Communication coverage 0%/60%'. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

If I recall correctly, the RemoteTech contracts require that your satellites have links between eachother, not that each satellite has its own link to the ground.  Try pointing sat-2 at sat-1, sat-3 at sat-2, sat-1 at sat-3.  The other dish on each sat can be pointed at Earth IF your satellites are close enough to close the link using the dish+omni.

Edited by DRVeyl

On 8/27/2017 at 9:16 PM, DocRockwell said:

According to one of the lovely devs on #RSS(Pap, I think?), RemoteTech "Coverage" is currently buggy and not working as intended. It may be that you've set up everything correctly, and it still won't work.

I had the same problem with the 4-sat network and 3 dishes+omnis on each sat. Each had 2 dishes pointed at neighbours, 1 dish at Earth. This should have done the trick, but my coverage never went above 20%.

Alt-F12 was my friend. I force-completed the contract and moved on with my space program.

Yeah, I couldn't get that contract sorted. Accepted another 3-sat contract after it failed and thought I had everything down, except this new one requires "Resources: CommSatBus: 500 units". No bloody clue how to satisfy that. The satellite already had a stage to deploy it to GTO with over 500 fuel units remaining. Tried a weather satellite contract with a resource requirement, used nitrogen for the RCS so it would have a lot of units, still nothing. Think I'll use the cheat menu fix. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

If I want to leave NoNonRP0 enforcement in place for all *except* one or two specific parts that I name, what modulemanager adjustments to those parts do I need to make to get them to show up?

Specifically, I'd like to get the LaserDist parts enabled, as I use the distance measuring abilities of them in my rover driving scripts.  (The script uses the distance readouts to figure out things like whether the rover is level with the terrain, or to read if there's a dropoff coming up ahead.)  I know I'll have to adjust the electriccharge consumption to use wattage, but I can do that in the same MM config file that I use to enable it in RP0.  What I don't know is what flag RP-0 uses to decide "this part is foreign to me" versus "this part is known to me".

15 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Steven Mading The quick way (no costing or tech tree placement)

@PART[myPart]:FOR[LaserDist]:NEEDS[RP-0]
{
    %RP0conf = True
}

The FOR pass is completely hypothetical, you can change it as required or even remove it.

Thank you - that's just what I needed.  I can also put the module ec drain changes in there too to express it in wattage instead of stock's uhh.. whatever stock's is.

• 2 weeks later...

https://imgur.com/bazw5L5

It says the following:

Exception occured while loading ScenarioModule 'BiomeTracker':
System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'CelestialBody.GetDisplayName'.
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil+<>c__DisplayClass31_0.<ParseCelestialBodyValue>b__0 (.CelestialBody cb) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateWhereIterator>c__Iterator1D`1[CelestialBody].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[CelestialBody] (IEnumerable`1 source) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseCelestialBodyValue (System.String celestialName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseSingleValue[CelestialBody]

(System.String key, System.String stringValue, Boolean allowExpression) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseValue[CelestialBody] (.ConfigNode configNode, System.String key, Boolean allowExpression) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ContractConfigurator.BiomeTracker.Load () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ContractConfigurator.BiomeTracker.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Hello I get the image above whenever I start a game and no contracts show up in the mission list.

I'm assuming somethings wrong with my install?

:-(

Any idea what it could be?

Edited by Noel32
Added details

Hi @Noel32,

Contract Configurator 1.23.2 is only compatible with KSP 1.3.0.

RO/RP-0 are made for KSP 1.2.2, so I would suggest you to rollback CC to the version 1.22.2 and to ensure that you are playing your RP-0 carreer with the right KSP version and the mods that are compatible to.

• 2 weeks later...

So,

I'm trying to build some nuclear rockets, and I'm getting some weirdness. Basically, no matter what I design the delta-V seems really low for a given sized fuel container. I.e. If I use the most advanced dual mode NERVA rocket ~2Tons and I use pretty much any hydrolox engine (~2Tons), for the same volume of fuel (same sized tank), the actual delta-V comes out in favor of the Hydrolox engine, often by a significant margin. So I'm wondering if this might be a bug or if I'm missing something? The ISP on the NERVA's is listed at ~900 ISP, so for a similar volume of fuel I'm guessing the the DV should be double, usually it seems to be the opposite, with the hydrolox being about double the ISP of the NERVA. I realize the NERVA engines are heavier, so I tried an example with everything as near equal as I could and it came out with the opposite result.  

7 hours ago, harlikwin said:

So,

I'm trying to build some nuclear rockets, and I'm getting some weirdness. Basically, no matter what I design the delta-V seems really low for a given sized fuel container. I.e. If I use the most advanced dual mode NERVA rocket ~2Tons and I use pretty much any hydrolox engine (~2Tons), for the same volume of fuel (same sized tank), the actual delta-V comes out in favor of the Hydrolox engine, often by a significant margin. So I'm wondering if this might be a bug or if I'm missing something? The ISP on the NERVA's is listed at ~900 ISP, so for a similar volume of fuel I'm guessing the the DV should be double, usually it seems to be the opposite, with the hydrolox being about double the ISP of the NERVA. I realize the NERVA engines are heavier, so I tried an example with everything as near equal as I could and it came out with the opposite result.  

that sounds like it's intended and realistic

hydrolox propellant mixture is actually ~85% oxygen by mass and thus an order of magnitude denser than pure hydrogen for NTR. Go for the same mass, not volume, for your NTR stages and then you'll see them gains!

Install RP0

I managed to kill my installation of RP0. Also it got pretty old, and I have the feeling that a lot of mods are not 100% perfectly installed. (Especialyl now with 1.3 around.)

Is there an easy way to install RP0? Does it currently work just out of the box with ckan? Or which tricks do you need? (Especially: How do you avoid installing 1.3 versions that don't run on 1.2.2 ?)

Thanks in advance,

Gustav.

On 9/27/2017 at 6:50 PM, nanomage said:

you'll see them gains!

Well, I tried to do it as you said. I designed 3 vehicles at ~78 tons. The conventional design using 9 RL-10 enines, 1 design using a single NERVA 2, and another design using 6 bi-modal NTR's. All pretty much have the same Delta V ~9k. I just used a command module and swapped out tanks (all cryo-balloon tanks) and engines to get a TWR ~.5 or better

6xBimodal NTRs = (13.65 ton of engine mass) 9815 Dv

9X RL10 engines (2.25 tons of engine mass) is  8180 Dv (If I reduce the fuel load by 10 tons to account for the heavier NTRs, DV is 7764 Dv)

1x Nerva2 = 13T engine mass which is 9206 DV

So I really don't get it, the ISP of the RL10 is 422, while the NTR's are 900+. So to my possibly incorrect way of thinking I should be getting way more DV out of the NTR's for the same overall "mass" of rocket which is mainly fuel. I mean 2x ISP = 20% gain in DV seems off to me. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.