[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.54 June 15

rsparkyc

12 hours ago, Scorpu said:

Thank you, @winged.

But why is SLS SRB so expensive? Also, one more thing about RP-0 costs that has bothered me, is that Apollo Command Module is ~6500 in Kerbal funds. Meanwhile, Orion CM costs 60000. I heard that Lockheed Martin, which is Orion's prime contractor, is sometimes called 'money blackhole'. But does it really have to be reflected in RP-0? 

The era specific parts have been added in such a manner that approximates their real life costs and performance.  That simulation of real life aspect to RO and RP-0 is a strong driver for many of the people involved.

Other people, however, want a game rather than an historically correct simulation.  That's lead us to having replica probe cores as well as procedural avionics, amongst other things.  So, if you want game / career friendly parts that don't exist, please do feel free to contribute them via github?  I'm very sure that your time and effort spent designing, testing, balancing, etc, will be very much appreciated.

Well, I have progressed through Nathan's video tutorials on RP-0 and I have made it to #5 Moon Attempts. The problem I am having is that things have changed a little since he made those and I dont get the same Dv that he was getting. So building according to his video doesnt give me enough Dv to accomplish this part. I do have access to the next level of motors and such because I had more science and money. I have tried to modify things in different combinations to get that little bit more Dv but without success. The next booster is either too strong or the next level of 2nd stage cant handle the extra weight that more burn time gives me. Im not sure what to do at this point. I bet others have come upon this same problem as I. I was wondering if anyone has found a solution to the problem at hand. I was considering adding one or 2 more baby sargeants tomake p for the loss. Im open to suggestions if anyone has a solution that will allow me to continue to follow the tutorial..

@KevinKyle Could you put your save folder up somewhere?  (Zip the whole save game up.)  I'm happy to have a look, but I'm not going to start a new career to get to the same point as you :)  Also, which videos are you following?  He put up some campaign videos a couple of months ago, and some tutorial type videos a Very long time ago...

Why I sure can but Im currently at work. I can upload them to my dropbox and give you a link. Im following the 2016 older tutorials on RP-0, not the "race" ones.which are newer. I can also post a pic of my current science tree which might be helpful as well. Since Im fairly new to RSS/RO/RP-0, i struggle a bit unlike my skills in the regular Kerbal world where I know what I( am doing. I will make a new post tonight when I get home in about 5 hours. Thanks for taking a look. :)

7 hours ago, MatBailie said:

@KevinKyle Could you put your save folder up somewhere?  (Zip the whole save game up.)  I'm happy to have a look, but I'm not going to start a new career to get to the same point as you :)  Also, which videos are you following?  He put up some campaign videos a couple of months ago, and some tutorial type videos a Very long time ago...

Here ya go, Explorer 4 is the one thats made per the tutorial It should be getting closer to the moon than it is. The others (Ballista 4 and on) I think were attempts to improve things.

Link to Nathans video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXK2cQPKOVM

I will be busy until later tonight so I wont reply until then (about 3-4 hours from now.)

1 hour ago, Kevin Kyle said:

Here ya go, Explorer 4 is the one thats made per the tutorial It should be getting closer to the moon than it is. The others (Ballista 4 and on) I think were attempts to improve things.

Link to Nathans video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXK2cQPKOVM

I will be busy until later tonight so I wont reply until then (about 3-4 hours from now.)

I look forward to your dropbox link :)

On 11/7/2017 at 8:56 PM, dangel74 said:

Hello, everyone. Thanks for great mod. I installed it on KSP 1.2.2 via CKAN. My prop plane flew just fine but my jet with derwent V engine seems like not getting enough fuel, although I have a lot of Kerosine and more than enough (according to required area parameter) air intake. https://imgur.com/9nwIy6f

The problem on the screenshot is that despite engine providing ~15 kN of thrust my plane didn't accelerate past few m/s. i figured that the problem was caused by wheels creating A LOT OF friction. So, I turned friction control to override and set to 0.3 at rear wheels and 0.1 for front ones. This way plane did accelerate but started uncontrollably turning to the left. If I increased friction on rear gear plane halted again at different speed. So, I am wandering is it normal wheel behavior to have so much friction without brakes on? And how can I balance it to make this thing take off. Also on a side note how can I solve patchy runway glitch?

6 hours ago, dangel74 said:

The problem on the screenshot is that despite engine providing ~15 kN of thrust my plane didn't accelerate past few m/s. i figured that the problem was caused by wheels creating A LOT OF friction. So, I turned friction control to override and set to 0.3 at rear wheels and 0.1 for front ones. This way plane did accelerate but started uncontrollably turning to the left. If I increased friction on rear gear plane halted again at different speed. So, I am wandering is it normal wheel behavior to have so much friction without brakes on? And how can I balance it to make this thing take off. Also on a side note how can I solve patchy runway glitch?

I've never experienced that.  But if you upload your save game (zip the folder) I'll be happy to have a look (assuming you just install from CKAN?)

4 hours ago, MatBailie said:

I've never experienced that.  But if you upload your save game (zip the folder) I'll be happy to have a look (assuming you just install from CKAN?)

Here is a zip file with save folder and my list of mods https://www.dropbox.com/s/lg440aj2jhnl1l2/rp0.zip?dl=0 . I also manually installed RSSVE with its EVE prerequisite.

2 hours ago, dangel74 said:

Found the solution. F***ing brakes were on by default as the engine. Is were any way to switch that to vanilla behavior?

I did think about asking that, but decided it would be too rude :)  Glad it's solved though, hope someone (or a previous post) can help with the runway...

In the developmental branch, what controls the RP-0 tool-bar dialogue?  (The one that lists tooled items, training, avionics status, etc)

I ask because mine appears to have borked itself and I want to try to reset it :)  I just get a small grey rectangle.  Perhaps as if it's gone to a negative size or something?

rp_0_dialogue_by_matbailie-dbtkipx.png

Edited by MatBailie

OK,  next problem. So Im doing the moon missions from Nathan's tutorial and I have already completed the contract 5000KM Moon flyby. SO I decided to take the Moon impact mission. The problem is that it wont complete. I can satisfy only 2 of the 3 requirements at any given time. First is build a new ship, ok thats easy enough. Dont remember the second one but I dont have a problem with it. Third one is impact the Moon. OK, I can do that, did it twice in a row. Thing is, once I satisfy the impact parameter, the build new vehicle parameter fails on impact and the contract does not complete. Sooo, what am I doing wrong? In the tutorial, he just hits it and all is good. I fail to understand.

Edited by Kevin Kyle

28 minutes ago, Kevin Kyle said:

OK,  next problem. So Im doing the moon missions from Nathan's tutorial and I have already completed the contract 5000KM Moon flyby. SO I decided to take the Moon impact mission. The problem is that it wont complete. I can satisfy only 2 of the 3 requirements at any given time. First is build a new ship, ok thats easy enough. Dont remember the second one but I dont have a problem with it. Third one is impact the Moon. OK, I can do that, did it twice in a row. Thing is, once I satisfy the impact parameter, the build new vehicle parameter fails on impact and the contract does not complete. Sooo, what am I doing wrong? In the tutorial, he just hits it and all is good. I fail to understand.

When I encounter something like that, I confess to using Alt-F12 :wink:

Feel free to ping me a save game again (with a quick save in Lunar SOI?) and I'll see if I get the same as you.

10 minutes ago, MatBailie said:

Feel free to ping me a save game again (with a quick save in Lunar SOI?) and I'll see if I get the same as you.

Cool  I will do it again, maybe tonight or tomorrow and make a save at that point.

Hello newbie here. First let me say THANK YOU to the RP0 team this mod is wonderful!

I am having a problem reinstalling RP0 after switching over to stock 1.3.1 for awhile. 

I did a clean install of 1.2.2 from steam. Then I tried to install via CKAN but the game would crash while loading. I Then started installing in smaller bites. Order was RSS then RO then RP0 with no optional mods. I tracked down that SXT is what is crashing the game. I tried loading an old version of SXT but still no luck. Can anyone help with ideas or a recommended version of SXT to use?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Vapor in my fuel lines said:

Hello newbie here. First let me say THANK YOU to the RP0 team this mod is wonderful!

I am having a problem reinstalling RP0 after switching over to stock 1.3.1 for awhile. 

I did a clean install of 1.2.2 from steam. Then I tried to install via CKAN but the game would crash while loading. I Then started installing in smaller bites. Order was RSS then RO then RP0 with no optional mods. I tracked down that SXT is what is crashing the game. I tried loading an old version of SXT but still no luck. Can anyone help with ideas or a recommended version of SXT to use?

Thanks

Are you using an old "SXT" or are you using "SXTContinued"?

I had no problems with a clean install of KSP 1.2.2 (literally clean, not an old install with the mods removed, I removed the folder and re-downloaded KSP) and then using CKAN to install RP-0 (Not RSS, then RO, then RP-0, just straight to RP-0).  Doing so gave me SXTContinued v0.3.12.1, and everything worked first time.

Edited by MatBailie

28 minutes ago, MatBailie said:

I had no problems with a clean install of KSP 1.2.2 (literally clean, not an old install with the mods removed, I removed the folder and re-downloaded KSP) and then using CKAN to install RP-0 (Not RSS, then RO, then RP-0, just straight to RP-0).  Doing so gave me SXTContinued v0.3.12.1, and everything worked first time.

First time I tired just CKAN like you suggest. Then I tried going in steps. I was using the SXT continued. Hmmm I'll try wiping it off and trying again.

4 hours ago, Kevin Kyle said:

Cool  I will do it again, maybe tonight or tomorrow and make a save at that point.

Kevin, I'm at exactly the same spot you are in your career,  although I've watched through episode 10 NathanKell's video campaign to see the next (or the next couple) LV design. I had also noticed that my vehicles didn't quite match the video's dV expectations, and I often ended up with minor variations to everything ... a few cm here, a liter of volume utilized there, etc. One thing that I found is that procedural wings get freakin' heavy if you don't turn down their structural strength. That seemed to consistently save me 150-200 dV on the earlier LEO launchers in the series. But I tend to overbuild for what I need as a matter of course by 200 m/s or so (being, after all, completely not my money!), fly the thing to verify its basic soundness, then start trimming back the excess mass until I get closer. Remember to start trimming the excess from the top down: a kg up high on the stack matters a whole lot more than a kg on the booster in terms of final dV

What I've noticed missing (or maybe just haven't figured out how to access, or what extra mod it might be) is that awesome simulation mode Nathan likes to use for the first run of a new LV. He clicks on Launch, and he has options ... I just get the message that the vessel is in the queue. I do plenty of testing, but I always have to actually built the thing, which takes time and money and (on more occasions than I care to admit) a call to Range Safety. There also seem to be a few developer's tools he has constantly at his fingertips.

Anyhow, I've learned more from watching the campaign videos about some of the subtleties in the KSP-sim system than I ever would have discovered through my own fumbling about. Heck, just learning some of the hotkeys in the VAB has saved me HOURS of headaches. I keep telling myself, after completing an LV and when I'm ready to go to the pad for testing, "thank goodness, now its just orbital mechanics to worry about!" At least THAT I understand, lol! But definitely keep enjoying the campaign series Kyle, you won't be disappointed. Lots of useful info in there, not just about RP-0 but about the historic space programs too. 

19 minutes ago, cymrych79 said:

What I've noticed missing (or maybe just haven't figured out how to access, or what extra mod it might be) is that awesome simulation mode Nathan likes to use for the first run of a new LV. He clicks on Launch, and he has options ...

The simulation mode is part of Kerbal Construction Time.  For various reasons the simulation aspect was removed.  Now, instead, the mod KRASH is recommended for the simulations.  The costs haven't been balanced for RP-0 yet, but the functional purpose still works fine.

25 minutes ago, cymrych79 said:

Lots of useful info in there, not just about RP-0 but about the historic space programs too. 

That's why watching his videos are so enjoyable :)  Rather than being bone dry recounts of a geek playing a dumb game, they're juicy recounts of history, as well as a geek playing a dumb game!

8 hours ago, MatBailie said:

Went back and tried from a clean slate again it all worked fine. Thanks for the help

19 hours ago, MatBailie said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pri3dmr6y3qaziw/KKMoonImpactsaves.zip?dl=0

There ya go Mat. There is a save in there called Moon Impact Mission if you want to reload it from its current position. Ship Name is "Explorer Impactor" Over in the missions list you can see that the first two requirements are currently met. 

OK, so I just ran it on through again. So thats 3 straight hits to the moon and 3 times the contract has failed. At least Ive hit it 3 times straight.

Edited by Kevin Kyle

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.