[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.54 June 15

rsparkyc

I'm not sure if anyone has addressed this already, I've read several pages and haven't seen anything about it, but is there a reason that I'm not getting procedural avionics with the master branch in 1.3.1? I had them with the dev RP-1 branch but noticed they were missing in the master RP-0 branch. Sorry if it's been addressed already.

51 minutes ago, gemini4 said:

Does the latest release of RealFuels for 1.3.1 require the fix .dll file listed in @Bornholio's spreadsheet?

on this note... @Bornholio I think its time for a quick chat about any recent changes to getting a Dev build of RP-1 Seeing as its abit "tricky" keeping everything updated to "most current supported version" of the "required/recommended/supported" mods with any needed fixes or additions (scrapyard returning part reuse to KCT for example) for the user to get the "FULL" RP-1 experience , running on KSP 1.3.1. 

I'm personally starting to feel abit lost and I've been around career mods for RSS/RO from the "realistic progression lite" days..

Note this is no way said disrespectfully, I know things take time to get done, and I thank everyone involved for their time

On 5/29/2018 at 8:24 AM, DGraves88 said:

I'm not sure if anyone has addressed this already, I've read several pages and haven't seen anything about it, but is there a reason that I'm not getting procedural avionics with the master branch in 1.3.1? I had them with the dev RP-1 branch but noticed they were missing in the master RP-0 branch. Sorry if it's been addressed already.

Unless I missed something, I believe that RP-0's master branch is KSP 1.2.2 only.
For KSP 1.1.3, I suggest you to use the Developmental branch that comes with the new features of RP-1.

I am trying to figure out the best way to carry lots of dV, for an orbital capture mission to Mercury. So far, the best I have found in storable propellants/engines is the AJ10 advanced. Packing 12km/s into this will be painful. Is it practical with hydrolox or is it not going to stay cold this close to the Sun? Any suggestions?

18 minutes ago, Antstar said:

I am trying to figure out the best way to carry lots of dV, for an orbital capture mission to Mercury. So far, the best I have found in storable propellants/engines is the AJ10 advanced. Packing 12km/s into this will be painful. Is it practical with hydrolox or is it not going to stay cold this close to the Sun? Any suggestions?

12km/s in a single stage is crazy (imo). I'm not even sure its possible with any engine, unless you've turned test flight off (rated burn time will limit you). 

Cryogenic fuels aren't great for long term missions. Best bet would be to use multiple stages and avoid cryo fuels. Even then you'll struggle.

Have you considered planning multiple sling shots to reduce your dV requirements?

4 minutes ago, MatBailie said:

12km/s in a single stage is crazy (imo). I'm not even sure its possible with any engine, unless you've turned test flight off (rated burn time will limit you). 

Cryogenic fuels aren't great for long term missions. Best bet would be to use multiple stages and avoid cryo fuels. Even then you'll struggle.

Have you considered planning multiple sling shots to reduce your dV requirements?

I wasn't planning one stage. I was thinking 1 + 4 + 10 AJ10s, plus a bit more on the tiny probe itself. But then the "probe" is a beast to launch and send on its way. And I'm hoping there is something with better ISP that Ive just missed. And forget ion engines. Too little thrust for Mercury insertion.
Slingshots are hard to do in KSP. Even with maximum 6 conic sections its just not easy. I would be using principia, but this computer is not up to the challenge :/

9 minutes ago, Antstar said:

I wasn't planning one stage. I was thinking 1 + 4 + 10 AJ10s, plus a bit more on the tiny probe itself. But then the "probe" is a beast to launch and send on its way. And I'm hoping there is something with better ISP that Ive just missed. And forget ion engines. Too little thrust for Mercury insertion.
Slingshots are hard to do in KSP. Even with maximum 6 conic sections its just not easy. I would be using principia, but this computer is not up to the challenge :/

I suggest you look at the real life missions.  They're very light and use Multiple slingshots.  Messenger didn't even insert into Mercury's orbit, just did a few fly bys.  It feels as though you're trying to accomplish too much through brute force.  If you want a realistic chance of Mercury's orbit, you need to work smarter rather than harder.

Google for the transfer window planner application (a windows exe, not a mod), it can plan multiple fly by maneuvers, and may help find some good sling shots.

18 hours ago, Antstar said:

There are few better engines:

- Russian engines used on Fregat and Briz-M with 327 s of isp.

- Aestus II - 340 s of isp

- Bell Model 8096L with 324 s of isp - with that one you can use default tank instead of service module which will contribute to higher delta V number.

- Procedural SRBs with isp of 305 s can be very efficient for very small upper stages (50-150 kg). In fact the smallest LEO launchers can be made only with SRBs.

Edited by winged

On 6/3/2018 at 7:46 AM, Antstar said:

RCS, once you get into the high 200's ISP they should be your go to propulsion for probes. Only annoying thing is you will need a dV calculator to use them well ( I use this handy spreadsheet).  I make lunar landers and hop rovers with them.  also mission mass, more is less.  cut out everything un-needed. minimize structure and batteries, solar works a lot better near mercury so dump power generation as you finish your correction burn. make sure you are using the right antenna, not something more than you need.

Mercury is a bear to do though, you looking to minimize your transit velocity. faster missions are worse because of capture dV requirements.  Like winged says a good start for capture is Solids since gravity loss minimized and oberth effect can be maximized.  come in skimming the dirt and burn them right at pe. lastly get ready to lob a flyby probe to maintain control or prepare a maneuver since it can be hard to maintain earth LOS when you get so close for the burn.  Early probes aren't to bad to get very eccentric captures with.

Okay, I was sent over here after stumping the attempts at helping me with what I really think is a Remote Tech issue.  I'm running 1.3.1, RO/RSS and the Dev Branch RP-0 (aka RP-1? -- with the very, very complex-looking tech tree) -- just downloaded the Dev Branch Test Flight, haven't installed it yet.  I can get a complete mod list if it's needed.

My early sounding rockets work great (WAC Corporal/Aerobee 100 equivalent), but Remote Tech is making my head hurt.  Despite having a control core (Procedural Avionics or the Aerobee Avionics Core) adequate for multiple tonnes of craft, I keep getting "Controls Locked" messages, and with a Reflectron DP-10 antenna (on top of the built-in omni in the avionics) I can't so much as stage once the launch clamps disengage.  Without Remote Tech, everything is fine.

Stranger, if I launch a bone-stock A-4 (using only A-4 parts, haven't tried any modifications), I have pitch/yaw/roll control despite No Connection, for as long as the battery holds up and the fins have air to work in.  Can't Range Safety Destruct, though (works fine if the launch clamps are still engaged).

I've just uninstalled Remote Tech, though I'll put it back if/as needed to test, and I want to use it in my RO/RP-1 career.  Meantime, I need to get Flight Test installed and check if it seems to work.

Okay, my RSS/RO/RP-1/Principia install seems to be operating as designed, which brings me to a pertinent question about "how it's designed" -- and I'm posting it here, because it's an issue with RP-0.  I'm running the Dev Branch on 1.3.1, and I'm trying to figure out why, if I'm starting in 1951, I don't have fins for a 1944 rocket design!?  I can in fact build an analog to a WAC Corporal with the Starter parts, but I have to use B9 Aerospace Procedural Wings to create the fins for the WAC itself and its Tiny Tim booster.  I also don't get the Aerobee style decoupler in the starters -- which is another 1944 part.  Instead, I have to wait months to get the fins and decoupler.

It would also make more sense if both versions of the Aerobee motor (with one that's rocket engine shaped, because the cooling passages spiral around bell, nozzle, and combustion chamber, and the one that looks like a bulged tin can because, I presume, it has a less restricted cooling jacket). became available at once -- since they're identical in performance before upgrading and the "ugly" one came first (1944 vs. 1946).

These appear to be changed from the "test version" Grayduster used for his YouTube video series, released a few months ago (Episode One here) -- he had both Aerobee engine versions, as well as fins to put on his WAC Corporal right out of the gate.  In other words, the order of availability made more sense in his than it does in the one I downloaded a week or so ago.

I realize this version of RP-0 (aka RP-1 in this form) is still in development -- I'm just suggesting ways to improve it before full release.

I'm having problems with engines shutting down when the launch clamps get released. Is this just me being stupid or is it a problem with my install?

I have tried to install the RP-1 mod with its dependables, and I always end up with engines that shut down when releasing the launch clamps. It doesn't matter if I do it with staging or manual unclamping. When the last clamp is released the engine turns off, and the rocket falls to the ground.

Spoiler

6yWsiKO.png

LmITeLr.png

As you can see from the pictures the throttle on the engine goes from 100% to 0%, but the throttle on the nav-ball is at a 100%.

If I try to launch without clamps, there is no problem.

Spoiler

Installed Modules:

- AdvancedJetEngine v2.10.0

- ATKPropulsionPack 3.1

- fB9_Aerospace_ProceduralWings 0.40.13

- B9PartSwitch v2.1.1

- BackgroundResources v0.13.6.0

- ClickThroughBlocker 0.1.2

- CommunityResourcePack 0.8.1.0

- ConnectedLivingSpace 1.2.6.2

- ContractConfigurator 1.23.3

- CustomBarnKit 1.1.16.0

- DeadlyReentry v7.6.2

- DistantObject v1.9.1

- DistantObject-RealSolarSystem v1.9.1

- DMagicOrbitalScience 1.3.11

- DMagicScienceAnimate v0.19

- EarlyBird 

- EditorExtensionsRedux 3.3.16

- EngineLight 

- FASA 1:v7.2.2

- FerramAerospaceResearch 3:0.15.9.1

- FirespitterCore v7.6.0

- FirespitterResourcesConfig v7.6.0

- FuseBoxContinued 0.1.15.4

- HangerExtenderExtended 3.5.2

- HazardTanksTextures 1.0

- KerbalAlarmClock v3.8.5.0

- KerbalConstructionTime 1.3.9

- KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.3.0

- KerbalJointReinforcement v3.3.3

- Kopernicus 2:release-1.3.1-7

- KSCSwitcher 1.4.3.0

- KSP-AVC 1.1.6.2

- MagiCore 1.3.1

- MainSailorTextures-Complete 2.0.0.0.1

- MainSailorTextures-Essentials 2.0.0.0.1

- ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.4.0

- ModuleManager 3.0.4

- PersistentRotation 1.8.4

- PlanetShine 0.2.5.3

- PlanetShine-Config-Default 0.2.5.3

- ProceduralFairings v4.0

- ProceduralParts v1.2.15

- ProceduralParts-Textures-SaturnNova 1.2

- ProceduralParts-Textures-SCCKSCS 1

- RasterPropMonitor 1:v0.29.3

- RasterPropMonitor-Core 1:v0.29.3

- RCSBuildAidCont 0.9.5.1

- RealChute v1.4.5

- RealFuels rf-v12.6.0

- RealHeat v4.5

- RealismOverhaul v12.1.0

- RealPlume 2:v11.0.0

- RealSolarSystem v13.1.0

- RemoteTech v1.8.9

- RetractableLiftingSurface 0.1.5

- RP0 (Developmental)

- RSSDateTimeFormatter 1.4.3.0

- RSSTextures2048 v13.1

- SCANsat v18.4

- ShipManifest 5.2.0.0

- SmokeScreen 2.7.6.1

- SolverEngines v3.5

- SovietEnginePack 0.4

- SXTContinued 1:0.3.23.1

- TACLS v0.13.6.0

- Taerobee 1:3.0

- TestFlight (dev)

- TextureReplacerReplaced V0.5.4

- Toolbar 1.7.16.5

- VensStylePPTextures 1.1

- VenStockRevamp v1.9.6

- WildBlueTools 1.41.0

Version 1.3.1 for Mac

Here are my:

Player.log

Savegame.zip

Edited by MaltYebisu
Added version number

1 hour ago, MaltYebisu said:

I'm having problems with engines shutting down when the launch clamps get released.

I'm just guessing at the cause of your problem, but one possibility is remotetech deciding you have no comm link and shutting the engines down.  Check that you have some sort of antenna.  Avionics normally have a built in antenna, but you could try adding another antenna as well.  There is also an option in remotetech's settings to disable that behaviour.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:13 PM, Zeiss Ikon said:

Okay, my RSS/RO/RP-1/Principia install seems to be operating as designed, ... in 1951, I don't have fins for a 1944 rocket design!?

It would also make more sense if both versions of the Aerobee motor (with one that's rocket engine shaped, because the cooling passages spiral around bell, nozzle, and combustion chamber, and the one that looks like a bulged tin can because, I presume, it has a less restricted cooling jacket). became available at once -- since they're identical in performance before upgrading and the "ugly" one came first (1944 vs. 1946).

A set of small Aerobee Rocket fins, and the V2/A-4 Fins should be available in the automatically given post start node. at 1fund each as will a set of proc wing/control surfaces and all moving wings.  between these nose people make starting surfaces.  They are in this node so that people don't get forced to have them in VAB from the start. 

did you add some of the mods (say vens, fasa, RN's) after the fact.  most of the parts are atleast in appropriate dates, maybe a few of the RN things didn't get in with correct nodes because of name differences

6 hours ago, MaltYebisu said:

I'm having problems with engines shutting down when the launch clamps get released. Is this just me being stupid or is it a problem with my install?

I have tried to install the RP-1 mod with its dependables, and I always end up with engines that shut down when releasing the launch clamps. It doesn't matter if I do it with staging or manual unclamping. When the last clamp is released the engine turns off, and the rocket falls to the ground.

remote tech has a setting for throttle loss on loss of control.  one option sets that to zero most of the time i'd say thats it, but yours doesn't look like that.

Second, if you had a pressure fed engine..but same.   I've had thrust problems because of real plume before.  Lastly is something about it causing a thrust unstart from negative g's and ullage state flickering?

At that point in program i rarely use a launch clamp.

Edited by Bornholio

1 hour ago, Bornholio said:

A set of small Aerobee Rocket fins, and the V2/A-4 Fins should be available in the automatically given post start node. at 1fund each as will a set of proc wing/control surfaces and all moving wings.  between these nose people make starting surfaces.  They are in this node so that people don't get forced to have them in VAB from the start. 

did you add some of the mods (say vens, fasa, RN's) after the fact.  most of the parts are atleast in appropriate dates, maybe a few of the RN things didn't get in with correct nodes because of name differences

I'd paste in my mod list, except that AVC doesn't actually copy it to the clipboard in Linux (or at least in Ubuntu Mate 16.04.3).  A quick scan down, however, seems to show I'm lacking RN -- let me go check...

...yep, CKAN confirmed RN Misc was not installed.  I've installed it; starting the game again, and I have 58 mods (though I still don't see RN anything in the mod list in AVC).  Of course, it takes longer because the cache is invalid. :rolleyes: 

Okay, I found the other Aerobee fins, by looking in the VAB bins in my Sandbox save; they seem to come from RN US Rockets, and are marked "RP-0 nocost" -- but don't show unless I use filtering to find them.  I think they may have been caught by the "NoNonRP0"; I've read of this behavior with parts "assigned to invalid nodes" by this feature of RP-0.  Part of that would be that they never show in the tech tree nodes, and if you have "unpurchased parts" disabled you won't see them in the VAB without filtering, either.  Seems like there might be a need for an update on that parts pack, or a change in what goes where in the RP-0 tech tree.

8 hours ago, AVaughan said:

I'm just guessing at the cause of your problem, but one possibility is remotetech deciding you have no comm link and shutting the engines down.  Check that you have some sort of antenna.  Avionics normally have a built in antenna, but you could try adding another antenna as well.  There is also an option in remotetech's settings to disable that behaviour.

Thank you for your suggestion, @AVaughan.  :)

Spoiler

TteAaPY.png

I think this means that the RemoteTech settings are not the problem here. Besides, changing this setting did not fix the problem.

I did, however, try to uninstall RemoteTech and then the problem went away. This is strange. :confused: I will try to post this problem to the RemoteTech topic.

3 hours ago, Bornholio said:

I've had thrust problems because of real plume before.  Lastly is something about it causing a thrust unstart from negative g's and ullage state flickering?

@Bornholio, Thank you. :) I tried to uninstall Real Plume, and it didn't fix the problem.

If any of you RP-0/RP-1 and Realism Overhaul experts know about any similar problems with RemoteTech, please don't hesitate to come with more suggestions.

Edit: On the RemoteTech Topic's last page I found a post by @TaxiService that helped me fix the problem! Thank you! :D

On 6/11/2018 at 10:11 PM, TaxiService said:

Here's an unofficial RT 1.8.11.131 compiled from latest develop for KSP 1.3.1. Enjoy, folks!

RemoteTech version 1.8.9 was the last version listed for KSP 1.3.1 on CKAN and on the Golden Spreadsheet Mk1.3 & Mk1.3.1. @Bornholio, should this unofficial RT version be added to the spreadsheet?

Edited by MaltYebisu
Update: Problem fixed

I'm trying RP-1 and have some problems with Aerobee engines not igniting. This problem is with no issues with test flight failure or ullage that I could see.

On two different occasions, on the same save, I ended up with vessels that used to work fine then stop working. The problem is that the Aerobee suddenly stops igniting on a craft that used to work. 

I inadvertently managed to save the first of them when I recovered the vessel with KCT, attached launch clamps, changed the kOS boot script and saved. The reason I found out that this was a problem with the ship, was because I tried to use the same ship to make the contract before the time ran out.

The other vessel got the same problem, and I managed to save the log of the problem occurring (the first log is me trying the ship on a different save). 

Is this just a strange random occurrence, a problem with my save/install, or a known problem with one of the mods? 
(I hope this is just me being stupid and missing something obvious)

Spoiler

KSP Version: 1.3.1.1891

Installed Modules:

- AdvancedJetEngine v2.10.0
- B9_Aerospace_WingStuff (master)
- BackgroundResources v0.13.6.0
- BAMCont 1.3.1
- BARISBridge (?)
- Chatterer 0.9.93
- ChattererExtended 0.6.2
- CollisionFX v4.0
- CommunityCategoryKit 2.0.2.0
- CommunityResourcePack 0.8.1.0
- ConnectedLivingSpace 1.2.6.2
- ContractConfigurator 1.23.3
- CrowdSourcedFlags 1.55.5
- CustomBarnKit 1.1.16.0
- DeadlyReentry v7.6.2
- DistantObject v1.9.1
- DistantObject-RealSolarSystem v1.9.1
- DiverseKerbalHeads 1.1.1
- DMagicOrbitalScience 1.3.11
- DMagicScienceAnimate v0.19
- EditorExtensionsRedux 3.3.16
- EngineLight (master)
- FASA 1:v7.2.2
- FerramAerospaceResearch 3:0.15.9.1
- FirespitterCore v7.6.0
- FirespitterResourcesConfig v7.6.0
- FreedomTex 1:v1.5.1.0
- FuseBoxContinued 0.1.15.4
- HangerExtenderExtended 3.5.2
- HaystackReContinued 0.5.3
- HazardTanksTextures 1.0
- JanitorsCloset 0.3.3
- KerbalAlarmClock v3.8.5.0
- KerbalConstructionTime 1.3.9
- KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.3.0
- KerbalJointReinforcement v3.3.3
- Kopernicus 2:release-1.3.1-7
- kOS 1:1.1.5.0
- KSCSwitcher 1.4.3.0
- MagiCore 1.3.1
- MainSailorTextures-Complete 2.0.0.0.1
- MainSailorTextures-Essentials 2.0.0.0.1
- MechJeb2 2.7.0.0
- MiniAVC 
- ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.4.0
- ModuleManager 3.0.4
- PADContinued 0.3.3.2
- PersistentRotation 1.8.4
- PoodsMilkyWaySkybox v1.2.0
- ProceduralFairings v4.0
- ProceduralParts v1.2.15
- ProceduralParts-Textures-SaturnNova 1.2
- ProceduralParts-Textures-SCCKSCS 1
- RasterPropMonitor 1:v0.29.3
- RasterPropMonitor-Core 1:v0.29.3
- RCSBuildAidCont 0.9.5.1
- RealChute v1.4.5
- RealFuels rf-v12.6.0
- RealHeat v4.5
- RealismOverhaul v12.1.0
- RealPlume 2:v11.0.0
- RealSolarSystem v13.1.0
- RemoteTech v1.8.11.131
- RetractableLiftingSurface 0.1.5
- RP0 (dev)
- RSSDateTimeFormatter 1.4.3.0
- RSSTextures2048 v13.1
- SCANsat v18.4
- ShipManifest 5.2.0.0
- SigmaReplacements-SkyBox B_v0.2.2
- SmokeScreen 2.7.6.1
- SolverEngines v3.5
- StageRecovery 1.7.2
- SXTContinued 1:0.3.23.1
- TACLS v0.13.6.0
- Taerobee 1:3.0
- TestFlight (dev)
- TextureReplacerReplaced V0.5.4
- Toolbar 1.7.16.5
- ToolbarController 1:0.1.4.7
- TransferWindowPlanner v1.6.2.0
- VensStylePPTextures 1.1
- VenStockRevamp (master)
- WildBlueTools 1.41
- xScience v5.11

My logs and craft and save files:

Ship number one:

Craft file

Player.log

Ship number two (I apologize for some bad words in the log and save game):

Savegame

Craft file

kOS scrips used :blush:

player.log

================

EDIT

================

I found the problem, and it was me! :blush:

I am sorry if anybody tried to figure this out, I should have tried it out more. The problem was with my script. And when I tried to test things, I didn't notice that I hadn't turned the thrust on! :blush:

When I got some sleep and tried again, it worked... I feel stupid, but at least it wasn't a problem with my install.

Edited by MaltYebisu
Super embarrassing!! I found the problem...

Since 1.4.4 released I went a loaded a fresh install and fired up CKAN.  Updated the golden sheet to include what mods on it are successfully loading.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jqFjaHCo0gdIj5mX61V8D02Ma6v1WfH2Zuv0ddXgG5M/edit#gid=0

Feel free to update as more become available since I'm traveling for business too much to keep on the ball for a while.

vjNKFK5.png

Have an early mars surface probe.  The gemini top hat has a quite high temp and good drag when lightly loaded.  Need to have an orbital relay go with or be in orbit already.  Happy rocketting

On 6/25/2018 at 2:25 PM, Ixenzo said:

Is there a way to disable or reduce the impact of tooling in terms money and build time penalty?

***Developmental Branch***

Normal way is increase your BP/s quickly and tool everything.  Awang had a "tool Everything" button patch out.

else.

Edit the configs that control all that.  https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/blob/Developmental/GameData/RP-0/ProcCosts.cfg

If you reduce that significantly you should also reduce rewards.  There is no set value as it hard to balance all that peicemeal.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/blob/Developmental/GameData/RP-0/GameParameters.cfg

That aside, the whole thing needs more balance.  I find I'm ahead of the time line by quite on hard. Mainly due to aggressive play and making sure I'm powering out missions over and over.

BSNYZm1.png

Early Sounding Rocket.  Uses Proc Wing parts as ground support/landing gear.  Earn science put tech node points into build time until at least .5bp

Edited by Bornholio

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.