[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.54 June 15

rsparkyc

Damn, I want to get KSP working again after that SpaceX conference...

Thing is, the RP-1 installing process seems to be quite difficult for me. Basically I'm having three issues here.

1: As mentioned before, something doesn't seem to work between RO and TestFlight, making the game crash on the loading screen.

2: Something is not working with RSSVE/EVE/Scattere, as even after several attempts at reinstalling and rechecking the versions as mentioned in the 1.3.1 RP-1 Spreadsheet, my days still have a very dark blue sky and weird lighting effects, while nights are pitch-black. Also when seen from space, earth is sometimes flickering. Is there any currently valid installation instruction for those mods?

3: Minor issue, but pretty annoying on upper stages: All my RCS Thrusters have the same size, despite having different power levels. I remember them being available in three different strengths that would also be different in optical size. Anyone got an idea what's causing this?

12 hours ago, Bornholio said:

RP-1 does mess with contracts, mainly turning all the stock ones off and providing its own historical basis ones.  If you go into the setup for contract configurator (escape menu) you can turn on or off certain categories and troubleshoot it that way.  otherwise probably on to looking in the contract configs for that https://github.com/jrossignol/ContractPack-Tourism/tree/master/GameData/ContractPacks/Tourism.Don't see similar structure to fail in that case.  I'll try installing that mod when i get home later

Okay, so, I started a new game and hacked a station into orbit. It is not RP-1 or scan, so it must the the third group "stock".

Under stock, in the difficulty settings menu / contracts, there is WBIContractVesselTour. Wild Blue Industries, I guess. But I trawled the while WBI directory and can't find any config files which affect contracts.

I tried deselecting this type of contract but they still appear and flicker. I'm out of ideas...
EDIT- restarting the game and they are gone. So I guess that did it. But they are interesting contracts, so is this a WBI problem or a RP-1 problem?

Edited by Antstar

4 hours ago, BerthNerd said:

Damn, I want to get KSP working again after that SpaceX conference...

Thing is, the RP-1 installing process seems to be quite difficult for me. Basically I'm having three issues here.

1: As mentioned before, something doesn't seem to work between RO and TestFlight, making the game crash on the loading screen.

2: Something is not working with RSSVE/EVE/Scattere, as even after several attempts at reinstalling and rechecking the versions as mentioned in the 1.3.1 RP-1 Spreadsheet, my days still have a very dark blue sky and weird lighting effects, while nights are pitch-black. Also when seen from space, earth is sometimes flickering. Is there any currently valid installation instruction for those mods?

3: Minor issue, but pretty annoying on upper stages: All my RCS Thrusters have the same size, despite having different power levels. I remember them being available in three different strengths that would also be different in optical size. Anyone got an idea what's causing this?

Go with the instructions from RSS/RSSVE/RO/RP-0, on 1.3.1 everthing works fine!

If you want more help post your log or the mod versions you used.

When installing mods, always check after a few if the game still works, than you know where you did something wrong

Edited by JohnMcLane

KSP 1.3.1 - RSS/RO/RP-1  Golden Spreadsheet : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A7gQkIiQKi0VtRecE6p86KCKuoawZPdzk7NlaxssRJ4/edit#gid=417044107

I think this link should be displayed in the OP.

As @JohnMcLane told it, do not make a full install without continuously testing if your last installed mods are working properly.

For each mod you install, via CKAN or not, you should :

1. Check that the required dependencies of your mod are already installed.
  2. Check the changelog to assert that the version you(ll install is the right one for your KSP version (Example : CKAN doesn't install the right version of Raidernick's mods).
  3. Check the wiki and thread of the mod for proper installation instructions.
  4. Make backups. Especially for big or beta mods, like RP-1, RSSVE, or for additional mods that are not listed in the spreadsheet.
  5. Install your mod
  6. Check if the mod is working properly.

I never did a working RSS/RO/RP-X game by installing all mods at one go. Then do backups, proceed incrementally.

PS : the spreedsheat doesn't mention it, but you can install the ProceduralFairings-ForEverything mod for KSP 1.2.2 in your KSP 1.3.1 install. It's working in my RP-1 install.

Edited by hargn

8 hours ago, hargn said:

KSP 1.3.1 - RSS/RO/RP-1  Golden Spreadsheet : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A7gQkIiQKi0VtRecE6p86KCKuoawZPdzk7NlaxssRJ4/edit#gid=417044107

I think this link should be displayed in the OP.

As @JohnMcLane told it, do not make a full install without continuously testing if your last installed mods are working properly.

For each mod you install, via CKAN or not, you should :

1. Check that the required dependencies of your mod are already installed.
  2. Check the changelog to assert that the version you(ll install is the right one for your KSP version (Example : CKAN doesn't install the right version of Raidernick's mods).
  3. Check the wiki and thread of the mod for proper installation instructions.
  4. Make backups. Especially for big or beta mods, like RP-1, RSSVE, or for additional mods that are not listed in the spreadsheet.
  5. Install your mod
  6. Check if the mod is working properly.

I never did a working RSS/RO/RP-X game by installing all mods at one go. Then do backups, proceed incrementally.

PS : the spreedsheat doesn't mention it, but you can install the ProceduralFairings-ForEverything mod for KSP 1.2.2 in your KSP 1.3.1 install. It's working in my RP-1 install.

Yeah, by now I figured out that this approach might have been a bit naive. I'm probably too spoiled by other games that are easier to mod ;-)

After redoing it from scratch and following the advice you mentioned, I started off by installing first the dependencies and recommended mods of RO, followed by RO itself. That's the point where I get stuck, apparently there is something wrong with RealismOverhaul v12.1.0 and TestFlightCore v1.8.0.1, which are the files linked on the RO main thread. I also tried it with the master versions as they are linked in the golden spreadsheet, and also any combination of those four folders, but nothing worked.

here's a link to one of the crash folders, this one is from using both the master versions from Github. https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4hbjcnpe3vdo63/2018-09-18_220936.zip?dl=0

Any help would be appreciated, as this is the only thing I'm stuck with, everything else is installed properly and seems to work.

9 hours ago, BerthNerd said:

Yeah, by now I figured out that this approach might have been a bit naive. I'm probably too spoiled by other games that are easier to mod ;-)

After redoing it from scratch and following the advice you mentioned, I started off by installing first the dependencies and recommended mods of RO, followed by RO itself. That's the point where I get stuck, apparently there is something wrong with RealismOverhaul v12.1.0 and TestFlightCore v1.8.0.1, which are the files linked on the RO main thread. I also tried it with the master versions as they are linked in the golden spreadsheet, and also any combination of those four folders, but nothing worked.

here's a link to one of the crash folders, this one is from using both the master versions from Github. https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4hbjcnpe3vdo63/2018-09-18_220936.zip?dl=0

Any help would be appreciated, as this is the only thing I'm stuck with, everything else is installed properly and seems to work.

So you know which mod is causing the crash? When you install 4 or 5 mods, start the game and when it crashes install them one by one,  launch the game after every installed mod. You will see where the problem is. I have RO v12.0.0 and TF-Core 1.8.0.1 installed, no problems.

Semi saturable reaction wheels causing a crash my game, but i dont see that in your log. I have not much experience with logs, i couldnt find out whats the problem, normally i look for "exceptions" and "errors" to nail it down.

@BerthNerd

I assume that you have installed only the TestFlightCore-1.8.0.1.zip, not the TestFlightStockConfig-1.8.0.1.zip bundle?
But I don't understand how you can assert that your problem comes from RO or TestFlight, your log doesn't seem to show any issue with these two mods.
Install the dev branch of TestFlight :
https://github.com/KSP-RO/TestFlight/archive/dev.zip

To install Realism Overhaul, and its dependencies, I mainly use CKAN, as it easily finds all the dependencies (but DO check for the installed version anyway).
Then, after you've assert that RO and its dependencies are working fine, you can start to install the recommended, then the suggested mods.

A lot of the mods that works with RSS/RO/RP-0|1 can be installed by CKAN : they are listed in the Realism Overhaul and RP-0 tabs of the spreadsheet.
Remember that, even they are suggested by CKAN, DO NOT install Raidernick's mod via CKAN.

As @JohnMcLane suggests, if there is an issue after to have installed some mods, proceed by dichotomy : revert, and retest by installing only half of the installed mods.
 - If it crashes, then revert, and retest by installing half the previously installed mods.
 - If it works, then take half of the mods you've not installed last step, and install them.
Repeat theses step until to have found the mod responsible of the problem. Dichotomic method (that consists of dividing by two the size of a problem each step) is the fastest way to isolate your faulty mod (unless it clearly appears in your log).

Edited by hargn
Fix links to wrong TestFlight version

3 minutes ago, hargn said:

@BerthNerd

I assume that you have installed only the TestFlightCore-1.8.0.1.zip, not the TestFlightStockConfig-1.8.0.1.zip bundle?
But I don't understand how you can assert that your problem comes from RO or TestFlight, your log doesn't seem to show any issue with these two mods.

@JohnMcLane

Yes, I have installed only the core part.

My assumption that it's with these two mods, is derived from my setup starting to crash as soon as I run both together. I have installed RO, the dependencies and all recommended mods except TF and semi-saturateable reaction wheels. When I add TestFlight, it crashes. When I add Testflight but remove the RealismOverhaul folder (but leave everything else), it doesn't and Testflight seems to be working as designed.

9 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@hargn Why are you linking the KSP 1.2.2 version of TF? It is incompatible with KSP 1.3.1 and that's probably the reason why @BerthNerd's installation is crashing upon loading. You have to get the "dev" version (as indicated also in the spreadsheet) that is compiled against KSP 1.3.1.

Sorry, I was working, so I didn't read carfully all details. The right link is effectively given in the RO tab.
Maybe it should be written in the Bornholios install procedure, in order to avoid this kind of mistake in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

it's been quite some time since I played RO/RP-0, so things might have changed.

First, I have just recently read something very interesting about the A4 engine development and was wondering it that was already implemented in RO/RP-0 and if not whether I should suggest it here (in the RP-0 thread) or in the RO thread (I believe https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/155700-131-realism-overhaul-v1210-29-apr-2018/ )?

I remember there was at least one upgrades for the A4 engine, but I believe this/those were post-war upgrades by the Americans (some description texts would be nice). I read about 2 (maybe 3) upgrades that were worked on and partially tested in Germany:

1. They weren't happy about the injection heads used (article mentions 18 of those). Apparently they were working on something I would translate as "Ring-injector" which was supposed to better mix fuel and oxidizer. Due to lower injections losses this "Ring-injector" would also lead to an increased chamber pressure. According to the article they expected to achieve lower fuel consumption and longer burn times using this "Ring-injector". I assume that meas that thrust was not supposed to change.
  2. Switching from alcohol/LOX to Gas-oil(aka Diesel) and Nitric acid (HNO3), basically without any other changes. Abandoned because of low initial accelerations (0.3G, meaning a TWR of 1.3). Nevertheless they expected a range of 400 to 500 km (about double I think) just by changing the fuel.
  3. A combination of the two.

Either way, I think those could be interesting option in the early game if placed before what I believe are "upscaled copies" of the A4 build in America (NAA75) and Russia (RD-101 and 103?).

20 hours ago, Nobody6 said:

Hello,

it's been quite some time since I played RO/RP-0, so things might have changed.

First, I have just recently read something very interesting about the A4 engine development and was wondering it that was already implemented in RO/RP-0 and if not whether I should suggest it here (in the RP-0 thread) or in the RO thread (I believe https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/155700-131-realism-overhaul-v1210-29-apr-2018/ )?

I remember there was at least one upgrades for the A4 engine, but I believe this/those were post-war upgrades by the Americans (some description texts would be nice). I read about 2 (maybe 3) upgrades that were worked on and partially tested in Germany:

1. They weren't happy about the injection heads used (article mentions 18 of those). Apparently they were working on something I would translate as "Ring-injector" which was supposed to better mix fuel and oxidizer. Due to lower injections losses this "Ring-injector" would also lead to an increased chamber pressure. According to the article they expected to achieve lower fuel consumption and longer burn times using this "Ring-injector". I assume that meas that thrust was not supposed to change.
  2. Switching from alcohol/LOX to Gas-oil(aka Diesel) and Nitric acid (HNO3), basically without any other changes. Abandoned because of low initial accelerations (0.3G, meaning a TWR of 1.3). Nevertheless they expected a range of 400 to 500 km (about double I think) just by changing the fuel.
  3. A combination of the two.

Either way, I think those could be interesting option in the early game if placed before what I believe are "upscaled copies" of the A4 build in America (NAA75) and Russia (RD-101 and 103?).

The A-4 has a quick upgrade to the A-9 which has a longer burn time (115s) and quite a bit more ISP for slight reduction in thrust burning hydyne/LOx.

The RD-100 has 101 which is quite a bit more thrust and a tad more ISP at SL,  then a slight improvement to the 102.  The 103 is another big Bump in power and slight bump in ISP, then the 103M which is a tiny bump again in thrust. This progression has a more gradual increase in reliability if you are using Test Flight.

UBlYlrY.png

All this is available after tech nodes allow it via the "Engine" UI button for the engine in VAB

Edited by Bornholio

I'm really sorry if this question comes across as a bit off-topic, and believe me: I think RP-0 is a great mod. However, some of its functionalities just aren't for me; I prefer the Community Tech Tree and the kerbal retirement/tank tooling mechanics aren't really suited for my playstyle. Therefore, I chose not to include it in my RSS/RO modpack.

Despite this, there are a couple of its (great) features I'd like to implement in said modpack, mainly:

Contracts - the provided contract packs are just what I look for in KSP: solid, varied, and fun contracts that give off the sensation of actual progression in a space program. Porting the contracts to a non-RP-0 modpack should be as easy as placing them on the GameData folder and removing any :FOR[RP-0] as to avoid ModuleManager shenanigans (plus the Agencies folder that comes bundled with the mod). However, I've come across a few problems:

• Some contract groups still lack an agency, showing a white rectangle as the "flag".
  •  The satellite contracts don't load due to a reference to an unknown resource, ComSatBus. I don't find any reference to this "resource" in the GitHub source RP-0 folder (apart from the contract configs themselves), which means those contracts are, effectively, rendered useless.

KCT preset - looks quite realistic, since it now takes months to build rockets. I think I only have to copy the KCT_Presets folder.

Once again, sorry for not discussing the mod itself on this post; I posted a similar question on the ContractConfigurator thread a while ago, but I figured it would be best to ask someone who knew the innerworkings of RP-0.

9 hours ago, Tonas1997 said:

I'm really sorry if this question comes across as a bit off-topic, and believe me: I think RP-0 is a great mod. However, some of its functionalities just aren't for me; I prefer the Community Tech Tree and the kerbal retirement/tank tooling mechanics aren't really suited for my playstyle. Therefore, I chose not to include it in my RSS/RO modpack.

Despite this, there are a couple of its (great) features I'd like to implement in said modpack, mainly:

Contracts - the provided contract packs are just what I look for in KSP: solid, varied, and fun contracts that give off the sensation of actual progression in a space program. Porting the contracts to a non-RP-0 modpack should be as easy as placing them on the GameData folder and removing any :FOR[RP-0] as to avoid ModuleManager shenanigans (plus the Agencies folder that comes bundled with the mod). However, I've come across a few problems:

• Some contract groups still lack an agency, showing a white rectangle as the "flag".
  •  The satellite contracts don't load due to a reference to an unknown resource, ComSatBus. I don't find any reference to this "resource" in the GitHub source RP-0 folder (apart from the contract configs themselves), which means those contracts are, effectively, rendered useless.

KCT preset - looks quite realistic, since it now takes months to build rockets. I think I only have to copy the KCT_Presets folder.

Once again, sorry for not discussing the mod itself on this post; I posted a similar question on the ContractConfigurator thread a while ago, but I figured it would be best to ask someone who knew the innerworkings of RP-0.

You can always put the RP-0->Contracts and RP-0->Agencies into the Gamedata->ContractPacks folder (it comes with ContractConfigurator) and you got the contracts without needing RP-0

For the Contracts: you could change the agency in the contracts that dont have one, to one that allready exist in the RP-0->Agencies folder or add a new one to the agents.cfg in the agencies folder. And also delete the HasComSatPayload Parameter in all the satellite contracts so you dont need the weather/comsat payloads on your craft.

KCT is, like you said a seperate mod and the presets you can copy over.

9 hours ago, JohnMcLane said:

You can always put the RP-0->Contracts and RP-0->Agencies into the Gamedata->ContractPacks folder (it comes with ContractConfigurator) and you got the contracts without needing RP-0

For the Contracts: you could change the agency in the contracts that dont have one, to one that allready exist in the RP-0->Agencies folder or add a new one to the agents.cfg in the agencies folder. And also delete the HasComSatPayload Parameter in all the satellite contracts so you dont need the weather/comsat payloads on your craft.

KCT is, like you said a seperate mod and the presets you can copy over.

Thanks for the answer! I'm checking the agents.cfg and just noticed something: the logo URLs have a path rooted in the GameData folder, NOT the contract pack folder. Since the ported contracts were not placed in some "RP-0" folder, the agency flags could not be found, meaning it's only a matter of changing the paths.

As for the ComSatBus, I should've guessed it was only about removing the requirement :P. Nonetheless, the idea of having a minimum mass limit for certain satellites seems about right (since real-life modern satellites weight a couple of tons). But I think it would be way too complicated to extract the resource and add it to probe cores...

16 hours ago, Tonas1997 said:

Thanks for the answer! I'm checking the agents.cfg and just noticed something: the logo URLs have a path rooted in the GameData folder, NOT the contract pack folder. Since the ported contracts were not placed in some "RP-0" folder, the agency flags could not be found, meaning it's only a matter of changing the paths.

As for the ComSatBus, I should've guessed it was only about removing the requirement :P. Nonetheless, the idea of having a minimum mass limit for certain satellites seems about right (since real-life modern satellites weight a couple of tons). But I think it would be way too complicated to extract the resource and add it to probe cores...

https://github.com/jrossignol/ContractConfigurator/wiki/HasResource-Parameter

see there for details, but you could change the ComSatBus resource to another resource, a useless one, so it only adds weight. And you dont need to put it into the probe cores, you can add a fuel tank/service module to your satellite. In every way you will need to change some things...

Using KSP 1.3.1/RSS/RO with the dev version of rp-0 for 1.3.1 and FilterExtensions:

I try to figure out what to do, to get a part RP-0 confirm?!

I have for example the voyager 1 & 2 parabolic antenna from Coatl Aerospace: "Part not costed by Rp-0, but in correct Node".

Spoiler

@PART[*]:HAS[#RP0conf[*alse],#RSSROConfig[*rue]]:FOR[zzzRP-0]
{
    @TechRequired:NEEDS[NoNonRP0] = ORPHANS
    @category:NEEDS[FilterExtensions,!NoNonRP0] = 98
    @category:NEEDS[!FilterExtensions,NoNonRP0] = -1
    @title ^=:^:RP-0 nocost - :
    @description ^=:$: (PART NOT COSTED BY RP-0 BUT IN CORRECT NODE):
}

From the NonRP0.cfg i take, that the part dont have a RP0-config. Where are these configs? Where do i add them? Or what do i have to do?

@JohnMcLane Tree-Parts.cfg if using developmental it really needs to be modified in the spreadsheet as that file is generated from that.

Spoiler

//*********************************************************************************************
// PARTS TECH TREE PLACEMENT
// This places all parts in the tech tree
//
// DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE DIRECTLY!!!
// This file is generated from Column A of the RP-0 Official Parts Tech Tree TREE sheet
//
//*********************************************************************************************

// DELETE EVERYTHING BELOW THIS LINE

@PART[antenna_tv]:FOR[xxxRP0]
{
%TechRequired = earlyAvionics
%cost = 280
%entryCost = 240
RP0conf = false

@description ^=:$: <b><color=green>From Coatl Aerospace mod</color></b>

On 10/3/2018 at 9:39 AM, JohnMcLane said:

https://github.com/jrossignol/ContractConfigurator/wiki/HasResource-Parameter

see there for details, but you could change the ComSatBus resource to another resource, a useless one, so it only adds weight. And you dont need to put it into the probe cores, you can add a fuel tank/service module to your satellite. In every way you will need to change some things...

Ok, there's no way around avoiding that ComSatBus resource... Basically, I've been deleting its references in each and every contract parameters, which should've been a straightforward solution. However, the reward funds parameters also take into account the weight of the satellite. Example from TundraSatellite.cfg:

rewardFunds = 35000	+ (@VesselGroup/HasComSatBus/minQuantity * 2)

I have a feeling removing this reference would produce unfair contracts, since there wouldn't be a direct proportion between a satellite's weight and its reward value (kinda like real life). So what the hell, let's try to to port over the resource declaration for the ComSatBus resource!

LSFjAjZ.jpg

...alrighty then. There doesn't seem to be any RESOURCE_DEFINITION tag in the RP-0 configs, which is strange. And I can't simply load the original contracts in a non-RP0 modpack without removing the resource, since doing so will trigger a "error parsing non-existent resource 'ComSatBus'", or something like that. So, basically, I'd like to implement the resource nonetheless, but without the full mod. In this accord, I have two questions:

1- Can I simply declare a "ComSatBus" resource with the standard method (e.g. by using a RESOURCE_DEFINITION loose config)?

2- If so, do I need to add any further configs to avionic parts - probe cores, for example - or, at least, to procedural tanks, in order to add the resource to satellites, thus fulfilling the requirements?

Edited by Tonas1997
Fixed image link

9 hours ago, Bornholio said:

@JohnMcLane Tree-Parts.cfg if using developmental it really needs to be modified in the spreadsheet as that file is generated from that.

Reveal hidden contents

// PARTS TECH TREE PLACEMENT
// This places all parts in the tech tree
//
// DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE DIRECTLY!!!
// This file is generated from Column A of the RP-0 Official Parts Tech Tree TREE sheet
//

// DELETE EVERYTHING BELOW THIS LINE

@PART[antenna_tv]:FOR[xxxRP0]
{
%TechRequired = earlyAvionics
%cost = 280
%entryCost = 240
RP0conf = false

@description ^=:$: <b><color=green>From Coatl Aerospace mod</color></b> 

Started my own additional configs for coatl/raidernick soviet rockets and sstu, and will continue while playing my campaign. Its surely interesting for the RP-0 dev version, i could add it to github if iam finished, if thats desirable?!

2 hours ago, JohnMcLane said:

Started my own additional configs for coatl/raidernick soviet rockets and sstu, and will continue while playing my campaign. Its surely interesting for the RP-0 dev version, i could add it to github if iam finished, if thats desirable?!

are you on developmental branch or just master?

@Tonas1997 replace it with lead ballast or some other standard CRP resource if you want. or even a stock resource.

Edited by Bornholio

@Bornholio Iam using the developmental branch, i know there is the spreadsheet with all the parts and there data, but if i want to change things in my actual game i need to do a MM-config?! that looks like the tree-parts.cfg. Or am i wrong with that.

Because i have no idea how to generate a new cfg-file from the spreadsheet after i put the data for the parts i want, into it.

15 hours ago, JohnMcLane said:

@Bornholio Iam using the developmental branch, i know there is the spreadsheet with all the parts and there data, but if i want to change things in my actual game i need to do a MM-config?! that looks like the tree-parts.cfg. Or am i wrong with that.

Because i have no idea how to generate a new cfg-file from the spreadsheet after i put the data for the parts i want, into it.

Any config file is fine, in fact its always best to make your own separate file unless you are modifying an existing component. and even then you should put in good notes for yourself and set a copy aside, that way when stuf gets recompiled for reasons its easy to restore.

I make a little battery indicator box out of mechjeb parts and keep the RP-0 line in that file.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.