Rocheworld system (In planning)

Okay! I know I've had several planet pack or part pack ideas floating around, but I've now decided what I want to do.

Drumro- actually, it's in the title, so.... nvmnd....

Pic anyway:

prometheus_over_roche_world_by_diasparys

Now, I know there's a book all about it, but I'm not going to recreate the system (Sorry)

Here's my plan, so far, only 7 bodies, may change in the future.

Unknown star name: (Haven't come up with names yet, @ProtoJeb21 is pretty good at it though), this will be a star orbiting however far is 5-20x the distance from the furthest planet in OPM (Because I know you guys like that mod, and I'd like to make it compatible :)) and is about 2/3 the size of Kerbol with around 1/3 its brightness.

Unknown planet name b: This planet orbits its parent star very closely with an orbit more eccentric and inclined than Moho, and is hotter than Eve, it has a thin atmosphere (0.05-.15x probably) and about 3/4 the gravity of Kerbin, there is a stream of asteroids across the planets surface, with a massive impact basin almost half as wide as the planet, extending down to the mantle (Is this possible in KSP?) from a dwarf planet impact tens of millions of years ago, the remnants of which orbit in a highly inclined and eccentric orbit, both of which are very rich in ore, and I mean swimming, incentive to build a mining outpost? You'd need a buttload of radiators though.

Protoplanet impactee name c: This world is very small, with about 5% of Kerbins gravity, and a very extreme orbit, it's very hard to get to, but once you do, you'll be rewarded with rich ore deposits.

Rocheworld d (Will be renamed): These planets will be based on the ones featured in the book (Except the rest of the system of course), one side will be an ocean world, with over 90% of its surface being water, the other 9 percent is a large island on the opposite end of the planet, and archipelagos along the rim of the planet, and towards the other lobe caused by tidal effects, apparently in the book, it had less gravity than the moon, which probably isn't very realistic, but I'll settle for about 1/4 the gravity of Kerbin.
The other lobe will be mostly a desert, with small lakes under the oceanic lobe, and will be very mountainous, with huge canyons, large slopes, and huge mountain ranges, there will be plenty of places to take a pretty screenshot.
Both lobes will have atmospheres with oxygen, but the oceanic one will have more, the oceanic lobe will have an atmosphere extending about 65 km, and the desert lobe will have one extending 48 km, they will be close enough you can theoretically fly from one lobe to the other using only jet engines.
Rotation? Dunno, I don't know which inclination they'll orbit each other at, but it'll be a short (And interesting) day/night, I'll tell you that, probably much shorter than Kerbins

Unknown planet e: This will be a binary system between two gas giants about half and 2/3 the size of Jool, neither will have rings, and they share one moon which will orbit in a figure 8 pattern (At least, that's how I imagine it in my head)
Unknown moon name 1b: This moon will be small and have about 1/3 the gravity of Kerbin with an atmosphere about half that of Kerbin's, it'll be volcanic and have large mountain ranges due to tidal effects, there will be small seas dotting the equator, and large poles, with extensive snow capped mountains, because of its odd orbit and small SOI, it'll be difficult to get an encounter, but the views will (Hopefully) be worth it.
Go down 5 posts. 

What do you guys think? And please, I need all the suggestions/tips I can get, I'm very new at this, but I do have Notepad++ and GIMP installed, and I'm watching turtorials by @The White Guardian but I also need to know how possible some of these bodies are, because of their complexity, and I don't know if KSP will simulate it very well.

Edited by Spaceception

4 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

And how are the Rocheworlds not annihilated by the (ironically enough) Roche Limit?

Well, the two planets, over time will merge with each other into one large planet, so it's a slow process I guess.

There might be more, I'll need to check out Atomic rockets again.

Is that binary gas giant/moon system possible?

Edited by Spaceception

16 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Well, the two planets, over time will merge with each other into one large planet, so it's a slow process I guess.

There might be more, I'll need to check out Atomic rockets again.

Is that binary gas giant/moon system possible?

Umm its not very slow. Both Rocheworlds would be experiencing extreme tidal forces from each other, causing the surface of both planets to be certainly made of lava in many areas, and very frequent earthquakes, due to the friction created by the pushing a pulling of the other rocheworld. Think of Europa or Enceladus, and how they are warm enough to harbor liquid water beneath its surface, despite being extremely far away from the Sun. Then multiply it by 1 million.

KSP has never been a realistic aerospace/astronomical simulator, so I guess it is alright to create completely ridiculous and out-of-this-world planets, but just know that they are just that: ridiculous.

1 minute ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

KSP has never been a realistic aerospace/astronomical simulator, so I guess it is alright to create completely ridiculous and out-of-this-world planets, but just know that they are just that: ridiculous.

Starts hiding plans to turn Venus and Earth into rocherworlds irl

Spoiler

Sarcasm :D

So, small block with the gas giant binary, apparently, it's not possible, so as middle ground, it'll be a has dwarf with a large Rocky moon (2x Kerbins gravity, 8x the atmosphere, fun!!) With the moon orbiting between them, mountains, ridges, canyons, seas, all that good stuff.

Alright, time to watch tutorials on making planets in space engine. 

Edited by Spaceception

1 hour ago, Jas0n said:

How's the gravity going to work? cuz ksp doesn't simulate N-body physics.

The Rocheworld? It'll basically orbit like a regular moon, only really really close, it might use Sigma binary to work, but it shouldn't have anything too fancy.

This is a rather intriguing concept for a solar system. If there was a stable lower limit at which some of these worlds (like the desert and ocean) could orbit close at without causing too much tidal turbulence, let alone hold back from grinding each other's crusts open and causing lava lakes. I'd surely want to get in on a planet pack like this.

Alas, Principia and this solar system would be like...

Cookie%20Monster%20USAT_1478046170218_6692962_ver1.0.JPG

9 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

This is a rather intriguing concept for a solar system. If there was a stable lower limit at which some of these worlds (like the desert and ocean) could orbit close at without causing too much tidal turbulence, let alone hold back from grinding each other's crusts open and causing lava lakes. I'd surely want to get in on a planet pack like this.

Well, I am making cracks, ridges, canyons, mountains, etc in the middle of the planet inward, to show the tidal stress. And 

Also, they're small, and will be between the size of the Mun, and Moho, scaled up irl, I think their Roche limits are pretty small.

7 hours ago, JonathanPerregaux said:

A good playable example of the Roche Limit can be found in Universe Sandbox 2. You'll be surprised how quickly an orbiting body will break up.

Yeah, good thing this isn't US^2 :D

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

In the book, the planets were kept in equilibrium by a gas giant that orbited in such a way as to perturb the planets apart just as much as they were being drawn together. I assume the math worked. I'm not smart enough to figure it out myself.

Isn't that what Robert Forward did in his novel? Rocheworld had an elliptical orbit that lined up with a gas giant Gargantua.

Also, because of their rotation spin, the centrifugal force of the lines helped keep them separate, but over time, they were bound to merge.

9 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Uh, good, or bad thing? 

Also, is there a link and thread talking about it (And does it support Kopernicus)?  I looked it up, but there were only a couple threads, none were for the mod itself, but if I could figure this out, that figure 8 moon may very well be possible. Nvmd found it. 

Edited by Spaceception

3 hours ago, Spaceception said:

Isn't that what Robert Forward did in his novel? Rocheworld had an elliptical orbit that lined up with a gas giant Gargantua

Yes, sorry I didn't specifically say that. I see "Rocheworld" and just think of that book. :D

About 15 years ago I wrote the first draft for a book that took place on a Rocheworld that was capable of supporting not just life, but Humans. It was a mostly-realistic-science story in which I just ignored the whole "surface will be molten lava" thing, and explained away the fact that the system isn't sustainable by that we just happened upon it at the right time.

Edited by 5thHorseman
Holy cow it's been 15 years. I should do something with that book.

7 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Yes, sorry I didn't specifically say that. I see "Rocheworld" and just think of that book. :D

About a decade ago I wrote the first draft for a book that took place on a Rocheworld that was capable of supporting not just life, but Humans. It was a mostly-realistic-science story in which I just ignored the whole "surface will be molten lava" thing, and explained away the fact that the system isn't sustainable by that we just happened upon it at the right time.

Cool, do you still have it? It'd be cool to read :)

What do you think of the idea? Do you think that the other players would use this mod?

15 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Cool, do you still have it? It'd be cool to read :)

I don't :o

I'm sure it's around somewhere, but a pretty thorough search last year turned up nothing, both online and off. It WAS online a long time ago, but TBH it needed enough work that i'd have had to rewrite it from scratch. I was actually pretty proud of the "traveling through space" part. We had invented a drive that could essentially teleport you from anywhere to anywhere, but were still limited to basic chemical rockets otherwise and in teleporting, you conserved momentum. So, traveling around a system involved teleporting near a Gas Giant in such a way that it flung you around slingshot-style, and then teleporting away at the right time into orbit of the world you wanted when your velocity was perfect.

15 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

What do you think of the idea? Do you think that the other players would use this mod?

I do like the idea, but don't quite get how it'll work with patched conics. I'd surely try it if it did work, if for no reason other than being able to see with my own (video game) eyes a world like the one I imagined so many years ago.

Edited by 5thHorseman
Clarity

• 3 weeks later...

Mini-update, this week, maybe tomorrow if I'm lucky, I'm planning on putting the star into my game, it'll use @The White Guardians star texture, just so I can get a feel for it, but I'll edit its properties to what I'm planning. Then I'll create my own star Corona, @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures Do you have any tips for best doing that?

Anyway, I'm still finding my way around GIMP and Paint.net, but it's kinda hard getting used to.

13 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

Did you ask permission for this? I don't recall granting permission to use my textures...

Oh, no, I should have clarified, in the description of your video, you said that we'd be free to copy the config over to try it out, that's all I'm going to do, just to get a feel for it, then I'm going to make my own.

Sorry. :/

I'm not going to place planets or anything around it, I was just going to use the example to practice before I make my own, is that not allowed anymore? I won't do it if that's the case.

8 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Oh, no, I should have clarified, in the description of your video, you said that we'd be free to copy the config over to try it out, that's all I'm going to do, just to get a feel for it, then I'm going to make my own.

Sorry. :/

I'm not going to place planets or anything around it, I was just going to use the example to practice before I make my own, is that not allowed anymore? I won't do it if that's the case.

OOOOH, THAT OLD VIDEO! I'm terribly sorry, I completely forgot about that one. Yes, feel free to use and modify that corona texture and the config as you see fit. I have been working on a good star surface noise texture for a while now however, therefore that texture crept into my mind.

Apologies for the scare, please proceed as you see fit. I should even have some data lying around about what color to make the corona with each star type...

2 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

OOOOH, THAT OLD VIDEO! I'm terribly sorry, I completely forgot about that one. Yes, feel free to use and modify that corona texture and the config as you see fit. I have been working on a good star surface noise texture for a while now however, therefore that texture crept into my mind.

Apologies for the scare, please proceed as you see fit. I should even have some data lying around about what color to make the corona with each star type...

*breathes a sigh of relief* whew, I was slightly worried that you changed your mind about using it for a second.

But I'll still make my own Corona, I won't use yours :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.