Do you use command pods monopropellant?

ZooNamedGames

Tell me...  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the monopropellant stored in Command Pods?

• I do use the monopropellant stored in Command Pods
    • I do not use the monopropellant stored in Command Pods
    • I wasn't aware they had monopropellant tanks!

A long time ago, in the time of KSP .23 (if I recall correctly); Squad added monopropellant to all command pods as they planned to have Kerbals that go on EVA use monopropellant to fuel their EVA suits. However as time went on they decided not to use it and the remnants of the feature is left behind in command pods despite not having any use unless you have thrusters aboard.

So my question for the community is this; do you use the monopropellant stored in Command Pods?

Personally I only do occasionally and more often than not I find myself draining the monopropellant to reduce weight (even if only slightly). I'd like it if they would have gone through with it because as it stands in KSP 1.3 today, the infinite EVA fuel exploit is still present and to me just seems unfinished.

But maybe I'm the only one. Let me know what you think and if you do or do not use it.

I do use the monoprop in them, but that's because I have a mod makes EVA fuel use a ship's monopropellant.

Otherwise, eh. I don't really go out of my way to make use of a pod's monopropellant, but my fleet's backbone is Kerbal powered so sometimes I'm glad to have it.

1 minute ago, FungusForge said:

I do use the monoprop in them, but that's because I have a mod makes EVA fuel use a ship's monopropellant.

Otherwise, eh. I don't really go out of my way to make use of a pod's monopropellant, but my fleet's backbone is Kerbal powered so sometimes I'm glad to have it.

Yeah I use the same mod myself as it completes the feature they left incomplete.

Assuming the craft has some use for it, I leave it in.

I only put RCS on things that need to dock/rendezvous typically. Or maybe if the ship is just extremely large and takes forever to turn.

I have mixed feelings about the Kerbal EVA fuel issue. Personally I don't really see a lot of fun stemming from having to keep track of EVA fuel, but at the same time, infinite pushing is still an exploit, (albeit a mostly useless one) and that kind of irks me.

My landers typically don't have any additional monopropellant. For landing I usually don't need any RCS, and for docking back to the orbit module, the 15 units monopropellant in the Mk1 lander can are just the right amount.

If the ship needs to dock, I use it.  If not, I'll drain it during design.

2 hours ago, FungusForge said:

I have a mod makes EVA fuel use a ship's monopropellant.

Which mod is that?  I didn't know one existed.

I drain it until I unlock RCS, then, since I love using 'N' for trimming overshot burns rather than turning around or providing extra thrust for ion burns at periapsis, it becomes a case of "Sweet!  Free RCS tank!"

I would be glad to use the monopropellant if there were integrated thrusters small enough to put on command pods.  If I plan to use monopropellant, as in docking, there is not enough in the pods for a safety margin.

I like to use the Super Draco mono prop engine/RCS hybrid parts from the Falcon mod pack, so the more monoprop the better.

I also tend to build my craft to a safety standard that makes NASA look like OHSA's worst nightmare.

...then again they kinda are when you think about it. How many jobs involve what are essentially bombs the size of Big Ben, often full of toxic chemicals and radioactive crap..?

Usually I use the monopropellant from the command pods for RCS maneuvering. I'm quite efficient with docking so I usually don't need much more. And now that I've started using Kerbalism, I'm pretty sure that has kerbals use the command pod monopropellant too.

Edited by eloquentJane

Only very rarely, when I know I'll need a lot of fine maneuvering (like picking up a derelict craft with the Klaw).  It would be nice if you could set the default fill level to zero, as I probably accidentally include it way more than I actually use it.  Maybe there's a mod for that?   

1 hour ago, Aegolius13 said:

Only very rarely, when I know I'll need a lot of fine maneuvering (like picking up a derelict craft with the Klaw).  It would be nice if you could set the default fill level to zero, as I probably accidentally include it way more than I actually use it.  Maybe there's a mod for that?   

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]:HAS[@RESOURCE[MonoPropellant]]]:FINAL
{
	@RESOURCE[MonoPropellant]
	{
		@amount = 0
	}
}

Here's a module manager config that will set default fill level to 0

On most of my crewed craft that are active in docking maneuvers, the command pod is the only thing with monopropellant in it. I'm quite efficient at docking, so I almost never need more. Sometimes I even drain 1/2 of the tank before going on the mission, as I commonly use something like 2-3 units of monopropellant per docking maneuver (of course it depends on the size of the craft), and anything more than that + safety margin, is dead weight.

Of course things like stations and motherships can have more, as they will top off the tanks of visiting craft.

For most of my ships that have RCS I usually only use the command pod monopropellant to feed them since I do the majority of rendezvous and docking using the main engine. For stations and interplanetary ships I might add an extra monoprop storage tank. If the ship doesn't have RCS thrusters (and if I remember) I'll drain the pods monoprop.

Nope, I never used monoprop on command pod. I rarely do anything involving RCS, the only time where I'm using it (for my whole 3 years KSP experience) is only 6 times, first when doing docking maneuver (twice, both on space station), landing on minmus (twice, but then I switched to terrier engines for further landing on minmus, the second time is just for airdropping a small rover), grabbing asteroid (once, just for klaw-grabbing), and orbital deorbit (once, because I don't have fuel left and I have no choice). I rarely do anything involve docking, and most of my time playing KSP is spent on creating atmospheric aircraft (sometimes SSTO, sometimes rocket, but then they just for sending satellites)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.