Making a naval YT series, looking for stock submissions

Disclaimer: said series is atleast a few months on the horizon, and is subject to abandonment at any time.

SFsf5NL.jpg

I am going to make a YT series based around operating a aircraft carrier, and I need enemy craft. I'll take ships, planes, even the odd ground vehicle, as long as its stock. If it comes equipped with stock weapons, great, if not, I'll add them.

You will get full credit for any craft used, of course. :)

11 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Disclaimer: said series is atleast a few months on the horizon, and is subject to abandonment at any time.

SFsf5NL.jpg

I am going to make a YT series based around operating a aircraft carrier, and I need enemy craft. I'll take ships, planes, even the odd ground vehicle, as long as its stock. If it comes equipped with stock weapons, great, if not, I'll add them.

You will get full credit for any craft used, of course. :)

While I'm sure most people are much better than me at making craft, I may give it a try. First I have a few questions:

1. Do they have to be able to land on the/any carrier?
  2. Do they need to be replicas?
  3. What kind of size, speed, and manoeuvrability were you thinking of?
  4. Will it be full stock...as in, no BDA at all? Of course there are a few mods which really open up possibilities and are still stockalike, like airplane plus for example

While I'm sure most people are much better than me at making craft, I may give it a try. First I have a few questions:

1. Do they have to be able to land on the/any carrier?
  2. Do they need to be replicas?
  3. What kind of size, speed, and manoeuvrability were you thinking of?
  4. Will it be full stock...as in, no BDA at all? Of course there are a few mods which really open up possibilities and are still stockalike, like airplane plus for example

1. Nope, but but bonus points if carrier cabable.

2. Nope, anything goes

3. Any, I'm not looking for specific designs

4. Yup. I don't use part mods.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

Haha, thats brilliant. :) A civilan harbour is actually just what I need as a first target for the "bad guys", peral harbour style. The main focus will naval, (mostly) but that looks great. I reckon I could fit a torpedo or two on that inflatable...

Edited by MiffedStarfish

So is this a modern naval setting or Cold War or WW2? I could use this as an opportunity to get back to building craft for the forum, I just want to know the context behind this series. Doesn't make much sense to have a supersonic jet fighter in a WW2 setting, does it? 

8 hours ago, Skylon said:

A bomber aircraft currently in development, made especially for this thread:

Reveal hidden contents

fZynh2Z.jpg
GH2A7BG.jpg
I'm calling it the SB-1, and it is very loosely based off the U-2 bomber. Bombs not included (for now)

Looks great!

3 hours ago, Jon144 said:

Take my stock Lynx II main battle tank as one of your ground vehicles. 

9D99D0179AB7772585F133964BCEA0B9590A1E33

Very nice! I bet I could build a landing craft for them...

5 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

So is this a modern naval setting or Cold War or WW2? I could use this as an opportunity to get back to building craft for the forum, I just want to know the context behind this series. Doesn't make much sense to have a supersonic jet fighter in a WW2 setting, does it? 

Modern, but not quite at the level of nuclear powered supercarriers yet. Jets will be commonplace, guided missiles used widely, etc etc...

What type of fighter jets are you looking for? Dogfighters, or heavy bombers, etc.

Second, should we just submit craft, or add a description of the company that produces them and their history?

I'd love to make some fighter jets for this series, but I just want these two questions clarified before I begin development. 

3 hours ago, Sayeret_1711 said:

What type of fighter jets are you looking for? Dogfighters, or heavy bombers, etc.

Second, should we just submit craft, or add a description of the company that produces them and their history?

I'd love to make some fighter jets for this series, but I just want these two questions clarified before I begin development. 

Any type of plane. Description and company would be cool, but definitely not required.

Read the story in the album :-)

Can be modified to be a heavy attack helicopter:

Stock ZSU-23-4:

Gigantic transport helicopter. Two ZSU-23-4's fit in there.

If you need a BIG target, you might like this. Or use it to mine the seafloor :-)

A somewhat smaller, generic platform or base.

A stock dock. 183 parts, 284m.

Edited by Azimech

Maybe you might like something like this? It's a strategic bomber in the style of a 1950s-1960s bomber like the B-52 or Tu-16.

Spoiler

ViSaImL.jpg

Nacv7vp.png

psHBs7q.png

73bUs1l.jpg

There's still some issues, it rolls to the left and it climbs very poorly, also it naturally tends to pitch downwards unless you hold down the S key. It takes full afterburner to reach cruising altitude, and it has a very long runway roll. I'm also not quite sure if I like the look of it, I'm not sure I've nailed the Cold War bomber look.

I also don't have a name for it, if you like it you can name it whatever you want.

There's also this, a small STOL fighter sort of but not quite like the Harrier, I've been testing it with two underwing bombs so theoretically it should be able to carry other armament, and operate off a small aircraft carrier. It doesn't have the power to take off vertically, but the takeoff roll is very short and it can land almost vertically. It maneuvers well, but the rear engines are weak so I think it needs the main engine to stay on throughout the whole flight, it basically flies like a helicopter with a rear facing engine.

ZNSeWyu.png

xDfhsEj.jpg

Edited by pTrevTrevs

2 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Maybe you might like something like this? It's a strategic bomber in the style of a 1950s-1960s bomber like the B-52 or Tu-16.

Reveal hidden contents

ViSaImL.jpg

Nacv7vp.png

psHBs7q.png

73bUs1l.jpg

There's still some issues, it rolls to the left and it climbs very poorly, also it naturally tends to pitch downwards unless you hold down the S key. It takes full afterburner to reach cruising altitude, and it has a very long runway roll. I'm also not quite sure if I like the look of it, I'm not sure I've nailed the Cold War bomber look.

I also don't have a name for it, if you like it you can name it whatever you want.

There's also this, a small STOL fighter sort of but not quite like the Harrier, I've been testing it with two underwing bombs so theoretically it should be able to carry other armament, and operate off a small aircraft carrier. It doesn't have the power to take off vertically, but the takeoff roll is very short and it can land almost vertically. It maneuvers well, but the rear engines are weak so I think it needs the main engine to stay on throughout the whole flight, it basically flies like a helicopter with a rear facing engine.

ZNSeWyu.png

xDfhsEj.jpg

Ooh! I'll almost definitely be using those, the fighter especially, as its very similar in size and probably capabilities to my carrier fighter. Do you have downloads?

Edited by MiffedStarfish

@MiffedStarfish tried those aircraft carrier planes yet? They're perfect for carriers because of their size, mass and STOL/VTOL capabilities. To give you an idea, my carrier is 75m. and my planes are able to land and T/O within that space.

https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/craft

Search for "carrier".

Edited by Azimech

1 hour ago, MiffedStarfish said:

That looks great, I need some ships. If you wouldn't mind, could you remove the BDA weapons off it? And what do you mean by it doesn't drive? :)

I've adjusted it to stock and also make it work better. Infinite propellant seems to be required to drive it. (just for intake)

https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/Cruiser-Hamilton

Oh, as a note, there is a set of ore ballast tanks. You can try to adjust those to liking, as well as the pontoons. You can also try to re-arm it and improve the turret.

3PYMKmv.png?1

Other random image

Edited by qzgy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.