[WIP][1.8.1, 1.9.1, 1.10.1, 1.11.0–2, 1.12.2–5] Principia—version ‎Καραθεοδωρή, released 2024-04-08—n-Body and Extended Body Gravitation

eggrobin

referring to Earth-Moon L5 point, i was able to find this article: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281717946_Optimal_low-cost_transfer_to_L4_and_L5_lagrangian_points_based_on_G-family_of_periodic_orbits

as far as Sun-Earth L5 is concerned, I wasn't able to find anything specific to L5. Here is, however, an article about going to L3 that can probably be easily adapted for L5: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00568378/document. The braking burn at destination is estimated around 500-1500m/s for L3 (probably smaller for a similar-duration transfer to L5?)

Let me first start by saying thank you for bringing this wonderful mod to KSP.  The addition of proper gravity is something that has been sorely lacking in KSP.

The one and only thing keeping me from jumping into this mod in my main game is the lack of stationkeeping, as I like RemoteTech too much to give it up.

Also, with the next release of the game, a function very much like RemoteTech will be included with the stock game (im not sure if it can be disabled or not, just that it is in 1.2), which I would imagine would serve to complicate things for this mod.

That said, I was curious as to the timetable on the addition of stationkeeping to this mod (i have seen several references to its planned inclusion in this thread).  

Barring that, does anyone know of a mod that would work with this to include functional stationkeeping?

Edited by xx_mortekai_xx

On 9/12/2016 at 6:46 AM, xx_mortekai_xx said:

Let me first start by saying thank you for bringing this wonderful mod to KSP.  The addition of proper gravity is something that has been sorely lacking in KSP.

The one and only thing keeping me from jumping into this mod in my main game is the lack of stationkeeping, as I like RemoteTech too much to give it up.

Also, with the next release of the game, a function very much like RemoteTech will be included with the stock game (im not sure if it can be disabled or not, just that it is in 1.2), which I would imagine would serve to complicate things for this mod.

That said, I was curious as to the timetable on the addition of stationkeeping to this mod (i have seen several references to its planned inclusion in this thread).  

Barring that, does anyone know of a mod that would work with this to include functional stationkeeping?

I've built a semisynchronous sat network using principia.. it doesn't need adjusting too often.  semisynchronous is easier; the closer to Kerbin you are, the less the Mun screws up your orbits :)  plus semisynchronous is high enough for a 3 sat network to stay in constant contact with KSC.

19 hours ago, ss8913 said:

I've built a semisynchronous sat network using principia.. it doesn't need adjusting too often.  semisynchronous is easier; the closer to Kerbin you are, the less the Mun screws up your orbits :)  plus semisynchronous is high enough for a 3 sat network to stay in constant contact with KSC.

Since when did one need a satellite network to be synchronous?

You just need enough sats that for your given antenna range and orbital altitude at one is in the required viewing range at all times. Preferably in such a way that two will be in range sometimes.

Check out the link in my sig, I made a tool to help with this.

Edited by DaMachinator

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2016 at 0:41 PM, DaMachinator said:

Since when did one need a satellite network to be synchronous?

You just need enough sats that for your given antenna range and orbital altitude at one is in the required viewing range at all times. Preferably in such a way that two will be in range sometimes.

Check out the link in my sig, I made a tool to help with this.

since probably never; but almost all the tutorials describe doing it that way, so I was attempting to dispel the myth :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ijust lookat this mods and i.... :o:o  :o

You are creazy and just realize my dream.

Also little question. At the begenning they choose two bodies maths to have the mathematical analytical solution and ensure stability through time of the orbite. How do you ensure that moon doesn't crash on earth ? In how many years in game a deviation in orbit can be seen ?

Bravo for this mod ! Plz do a 1.2.1 version ! We love you XD

Edited by msnbcorp

On 13/10/2016 at 6:26 AM, ss8913 said:

has anyone attempted a 1.2 compile yet?  What exactly is necessary, compiler-wise, to build the code for this, anyway?  I'm assuming gcc/g++ won't quite cut it since I'm building for Win64.. lol

Why gcc g++ are a problem for building in win64 -_- ?

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2016 at 0:03 PM, TheEpicSquared said:

This is incredible! Very good job! :cool: 

Oh, one question: does this mod give gravity to asteroids? :) 

No, asteroids are vessels for KSP, and we don't treat them any differently. As things are currently designed, bodies have to fall into one of two categories: those that exert gravity but whose trajectory cannot be altered by player actions, and those that do not exert gravity, but that can be moved around by the player. The former have their trajectories precomputed in an Ephemeris, the latter have their trajectories integrated in the gravitational field resulting from that Ephemeris.

On 12/23/2016 at 7:23 PM, AnonymPLAkaWściekłaMangus said:

Are devs going to update Principia to 1.2.2 or mod is left by them?

We're working on it, but it involves extensive changes, see https://github.com/mockingbirdnest/Principia/issues/1150#issuecomment-258671499 and https://github.com/mockingbirdnest/Principia/issues/1048#issuecomment-267084351.

Hi friends, I wonder if landing on the Moon is possible in Cantor, and if it is, how to select a proper reference frame for it?

When trying to land in 'Surface' reference frame tied to the moon, actual lunar surface seems to have a speed of ~130m/s due west (on the equator). Even if matched, this speed appears  to make the physics engine think it's a high speed collision and on touchdown, vessels bounce around erratically or explode. Also the entire surface seems quaking when seen from low altitudes.

Honestly, I'm at a bit of a loss about where these 130m/s come from, so just asking whether this is known issue?  If it's not, what debug info can i post to help understand it?

1 hour ago, nanomage said:

Hi friends, I wonder if landing on the Moon is possible in Cantor, and if it is, how to select a proper reference frame for it?

When trying to land in 'Surface' reference frame tied to the moon, actual lunar surface seems to have a speed of ~130m/s due west (on the equator). Even if matched, this speed appears  to make the physics engine think it's a high speed collision and on touchdown, vessels bounce around erratically or explode. Also the entire surface seems quaking when seen from low altitudes.

Honestly, I'm at a bit of a loss about where these 130m/s come from, so just asking whether this is known issue?  If it's not, what debug info can i post to help understand it?

Sounds you have a timewarp mod that sets the minimum non-physics timewarp altitude to below ground level; we move the vessel around when it's above that altitude, bad things happen if the ground is there.

thank you, that fixes it.

Indeed, RSS sets timewarp altitudes at

timewarpAltitudeLimits = 0 5000 ...

for the Moon (and for other bodies without simulated atmospheres), 0 is likely below ground for half the surface, 5000 is also below ground where i tried landing. Not quite sure which one of these gets picked, but changing to

timewarpAltitudeLimits = 15000 15000 ...

gets rid of the issue.

12 hours ago, eggrobin said:

Sounds you have a timewarp mod that sets the minimum non-physics timewarp altitude to below ground level; we move the vessel around when it's above that altitude, bad things happen if the ground is there.

Edited by nanomage

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is MechJeb integration planned and/or already implemented? I use the autopilot features a lot when I'm too lazy to fly a random ion powered probe, but I want to use this mod so much (single body physics are boring, I want n body)! 

Edited by Plecy75

10 hours ago, /not/pol/ said:

Will this ever get 1.2.2 support?

They are already working on it, you just need to be patient :wink:

[moderation text]Also, please look if your question is already answered before when asking if a mod will/is compatible with a new version of KSP. No need to look in the entire thread(it would be way too long to do so for certain mods), just the few last pages.[/moderation text]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First of all I just want to tell you guys that this is THE BEST KSP mod ever made. I was looking for something like this since KSP 0.23.
I know that this is against the rules, but I want to start new career in KSP 1.2.2 and I have to ask:
How much time do you approximately need for make this mod compatible with 1.2.2 ? I know that it is sometimes hard to tell, but if you say it is more than couple months, it will be easier for me to handle it ( I check this thread everyday hoping for miracle :D )

• 2 weeks later...

For the new moon (lunation number 213), the new release, Cardano, is out, bringing with it axial tilt, new reference frames, and timewarp-independent free fall. It marks the beginning of lunar releases.

See the change log for details. In particular, note that Cardano is save-incompatible with Cantor.

Please read the concepts page carefully, it has been expanded since Cantor.

Thanks to @Iskierka for testing the Linux build.

Edited by eggrobin