[WIP][1.8.1, 1.9.1, 1.10.1, 1.11.0–2, 1.12.2–5] Principia—version ‎Канторович, released 2024-03-09—n-Body and Extended Body Gravitation

eggrobin

2 hours ago, astronaut2019 said:

Hey, where download Prinicipia form 1.1.3? Before this I playing on 1.3.1, but I need to move on 1.1.3. Sorry for my maybe bad english, I'm from Russia. Thanks for answer.

The last version that supported KSP 1.1.3, Cantor, can be downloaded at goo.gl/eZbr4e.  It only supported Windows and Linux, not Mac.  Note that since we are not building for 1.1.3 anymore, we won't be fixing bugs for that version.

Hey devs, are you releasing the next version with support for 1.4.1?

Also, are you planning on supporting the DLC? Given that the mission builder can spawn things at arbitrary positions with arbitrary velocities at arbitrary in game time, I don't think principia can handle that atm. But are there any plans on supporting such behaviour in the future?

On 3/13/2018 at 11:04 PM, scimas said:

Also, are you planning on supporting the DLC? Given that the mission builder can spawn things at arbitrary positions with arbitrary velocities at arbitrary in game time, I don't think principia can handle that atm. But are there any plans on supporting such behaviour in the future?

We'll be releasing for 1.4.1, courtesy of @awang.

We don't think there are any issues related to the DLC, vessels appearing are already handled by Principia.

For the new moon (lunation number 225), the new release (Coxeter) is out.

This release:

• uses SSE2 intrinsics for improved performance;
  • addresses numerical stability issues in the Jool system reported by @Eriksonn;
  • introduces an API for @Jim DiGriz's guidance algorithms;
  • introduces support for KSP 1.4.1, thanks to @awang.

See the change log for more details.

We support three versions of KSP: downloads are available for 1.4.1, 1.3.1, and 1.2.2. Make sure you download the right one (if you don't, the game will crash on load).

Edited by eggrobin

Does the "Orbital Drift Compensation" option in the settings affect gameplay with Principia installed? I just started 1.4.1 and while going through the settings I realised that I had never given this a thought.

Edit: Same question but with the "Ease in gravity"?

Edited by scimas

13 hours ago, eggrobin said:

We support three versions of KSP: downloads are available for 1.4.1, 1.3.1, and 1.2.2.

Wow! I'm impressed with you guys being able to maintain three different versions of Principia. :) Are you planning on phasing out 1.2.2 when the new version of RO/PR-0 gets released? 

15 hours ago, scimas said:

Does the "Orbital Drift Compensation" option in the settings affect gameplay with Principia installed? I just started 1.4.1 and while going through the settings I realised that I had never given this a thought.

Edit: Same question but with the "Ease in gravity"?

I am not sure what those settings do anymore; there are two possibilities as to their effect on Principia:

1. whatever they do may be overwritten by Principia's opinion of where things are;
  2. they might violate Principia's assumptions on the behaviour of KSP.

Principia makes fairly few assumptions, so it is probably (1) rather than (2), but to be safe you may want to just keep these settings to their default values.

9 hours ago, MaltYebisu said:

Wow! I'm impressed with you guys being able to maintain three different versions of Principia. :) Are you planning on phasing out 1.2.2 when the new version of RO/PR-0 gets released? 

It does make the release process a little bit more annoying; we do indeed plan on dropping 1.2.2 support when RO etc. move on to a newer version, which cannot happen too soon (cc @NathanKell :-p).

2 hours ago, eggrobin said:

we do indeed plan on dropping 1.2.2 support when RO etc. move on to a newer version, which cannot happen too soon

I too am looking forward eagerly to RO etc moving to 1.3.1.

Thank you for your work on this mod :wink:

7 hours ago, eggrobin said:

Principia makes fairly few assumptions, so it is probably (1) rather than (2), but to be safe you may want to just keep these settings to their default values.

Yes, but both default to Active and from their names sound like something that may interfere with what Principia does. That is why I asked the question.

7 hours ago, eggrobin said:

I am not sure what those settings do anymore

I've been playing KSP since 1.2.2 only, but I found some old reddit posts about some calculation errors in versions < 1.1.3 were causing drag on orbits. The posts also suggest that they fixed the problem in 1.1.3, but the bug had also become a kind of feature that modelled atmospheric drag on orbits. Apparently that is why the fix was included as an option, so the people that liked the drift could keep playing with it.

2 hours ago, scimas said:

Yes, but both default to Active and from their names sound like something that may interfere with what Principia does. That is why I asked the question.

It is really hard to actually interfere with principia (see also how Principia nullifies Hyperedit and the like). In any case, we test and debug with the default settings, so those are safe.

Hi! Love this mod, been playing around with it recently. I've been playing KSP since before there was the Mun and map screen...this mod is the most refreshing experience I have had since then!

Quick question, I am just running a stock system (v1.3.1), and I'm planning on using some visual overhaul mods that use Kopernicus (e.g. think Spectra, KSPRC). Will the Jool system remain stable if use these mods? Or does stock Kopernicus override Principia's planet configs?

On 21/03/2018 at 2:03 PM, ButchFlowers said:

Quick question, I am just running a stock system (v1.3.1), and I'm planning on using some visual overhaul mods that use Kopernicus (e.g. think Spectra, KSPRC). Will the Jool system remain stable if use these mods? Or does stock Kopernicus override Principia's planet configs?

This is documented in the FAQs here.

On 29/03/2018 at 2:22 AM, njbrown09 said:

@eggrobin how did you manage to do axial tilt? Is it possible you could make a mod just for axial tilt (or guide me to the code where you have it in principia so i can make it myself)

We do axial tilt by tilting the universe.  The current main body must always have its axis vertical as seen by the game, otherwise the terrain system and other entertaining things break.  This fundamentally requires a plugin capable of tracking the orbits in a fixed reference frame in order to be able to represent them in the tilted universe.  This means that this plugin would have its own model of where every vessel is located and would have to evolve the orbits itself.  At this point the plugin owns all the physics and is essentially Principia.  (Principia without n-body gravitation would be as hard to develop/maintain and much less interesting to us.)

It's claimed that there are installation instructions in the FAQ; this does not appear to be the case.

What is the installation procedure for Principia? I have heard it is more involved than simply dropping the folder into GameData.

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Banshee said:

It's claimed that there are installation instructions in the FAQ; this does not appear to be the case.

I guess we can never be too explicit: unzip the archive and copy the Principia folder into the GameData folder.

25 minutes ago, Banshee said:

What is the installation procedure for Principia? I have heard it is more involved than simply dropping the folder into GameData.

You heard wrong.  I am curious to know where this rumour comes from, though.

7 minutes ago, pleroy said:

I guess we can never be too explicit: unzip the archive and copy the Principia folder into the GameData folder.

You heard wrong.  I am curious to know where this rumour comes from, though.

I did attempt this. The result was consistent CTD on load. I am downloading 1.41 and installing on windows. My KPS is 1.42, if compatibility is broken already.

I have been able to include some functionality from Principia by messing around with the file organization, but I have not managed to make it work as advertised. At best, I can have axis tilt. 

I read that the process is more involved on some other forum post. Perhaps their intent was that we may not simply check a box in CKAN. I am indeed, however, finding it to be more involved.

1 hour ago, Banshee said:

I am downloading 1.41 and installing on windows. My KPS is 1.42, if compatibility is broken already.

Here is your problem, we do not support KSP 1.4.2 in Coxeter (you should see a message to that effect in the FATAL log, which you can find in the glog directory as detailed in the FAQ). The next release, Cramer, which will be released on the new moon on the 16th of April, will target 1.4.2.

As documented in the OP and the release posts, using the Principia with the wrong version of KSP results in a crash on load.

I have been able to include some functionality from Principia by messing around with the file organization, but I have not managed to make it work as advertised. At best, I can have axis tilt. 

Principia is extremely monolithic; either everything works or nothing does. You do not have axial tilt unless you have all of Principia. Please do not mess with the file organization, you will leave your install in a broken state and produce hard-to-diagnose bugs.

II read that the process is more involved on some other forum post. Perhaps their intent was that we may not simply check a box in CKAN. I am indeed, however, finding it to be more involved.

The only additional requirement, besides dropping the right version in GameData, is that the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages (or libc++abi on *nix) be installed, as documented in the FAQ.

36 minutes ago, eggrobin said:

Here is your problem, we do not support KSP 1.4.2 in Coxeter (you should see a message to that effect in the FATAL log, which you can find in the glog directory as detailed in the FAQ). The next release, Cramer, which will be released on the new moon on the 16th of April, will target 1.4.2.

As documented in the OP and the release posts, using the Principia with the wrong version of KSP results in a crash on load.

Principia is extremely monolithic; either everything works or nothing does. You do not have axial tilt unless you have all of Principia. Please do not mess with the file organization, you will leave your install in a broken state and produce hard-to-diagnose bugs.

The only additional requirement, besides dropping the right version in GameData, is that the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages (or libc++abi on *nix) be installed, as documented in the FAQ.

Makes sense; will roll back to 1.4.1.

I must have misunderstood what is meant by axial tilt. :P 

Thanks for the prompt responses!

• 2 weeks later...

For the new moon (lunation number 226), the new release (Cramer) is out.

This release:

• fixes a bug which caused manoeuvre nodes to jump at the time of ignition, especially on ejection and capture burns. Thanks to @Kobymaru and @EstrelaGaliza for reporting and helping diagnose this bug.
  • adds support for KSP 1.4.2.

Note that you may need to install a newer C++ runtime; see the change log for more details.

We support three versions of KSP: downloads are available for 1.4.2, 1.3.1, and 1.2.2. Make sure you download the right one (if you don't, the game will crash on load).

Cramer will not support 1.4.3, as Principia has special handling to work around ladder-related bugs, so we will need to test the new release to see if changes are needed.

This is the last release to support KSP 1.2.2, as Realism Overhaul and Real Solar System now support 1.3.1.

I thought i read it somewhere a while ago, but now i cant seem to find it so i gotta ask;

Can i install Principia and use it in an existing save? Or will i need to start a new game?

Edit: So apperently it worked, just threw two probes i had around duna out of their orbit (leaving the solar system now).

Amazing mod! 

PS: In your post it says "here for 1.4.1" but actually links to a 1.4.2 download, might want to update that. Oh and i like your new moon update cycle!

Edited by AlliedForth

21 hours ago, AlliedForth said:

I thought i read it somewhere a while ago, but now i cant seem to find it so i gotta ask;

Can i install Principia and use it in an existing save? Or will i need to start a new game?

@AlliedForth, I'm not entirely sure, but on the Install and FAQ Page it says:

Don't reuse an existing save after installing Principia for the first time, create a new one (see below). When upgrading to a new version of Principia it's fine to reuse an existing save as we maintain backward compatibility.

I started using Principia a couple of versions ago, and I remember I applied it to a current ongoing save without issues, although this experience might not be the rule rather than an exception. 

I also did try going back & removing Principia and my save games stopped working w/o the mod.

Hope this helps.

Of course the devs would be the proper source of information and I could be remembering incorrectly; but I think it used to be that principia would have to integrate the trajectories from the default t=0 state to the time that it was added into a save. You can imagine how that might not be a preferable scenario.

They probably changed it along the way somewhere so that the game can start at any time and principia can take over from there.

On 13/3/2018 at 3:34 AM, scimas said:

On 15/3/2018 at 3:14 AM, pleroy said:

We'll be releasing for 1.4.1, courtesy of @awang.

We don't think there are any issues related to the DLC, vessels appearing are already handled by Principia.

This is what I'm basing my conclusions on, and misinterpretation is a possibility.