[WIP][1.8.1, 1.9.1, 1.10.1, 1.11.0–2, 1.12.2–5] Principia—version ‎Καραθεοδωρή, released 2024-04-08—n-Body and Extended Body Gravitation

eggrobin

On 3/27/2017 at 4:15 PM, eggrobin said:

For the new moon (lunation number 213), the new release, Cardano, is out, bringing with it axial tilt, new reference frames, and timewarp-independent free fall. It marks the beginning of lunar releases.

See the change log for details. In particular, note that Cardano is save-incompatible with Cantor.

Please read the concepts page carefully, it has been expanded since Cantor.

Thanks to @Iskierka for testing the Linux build.

:o

On 3/27/2017 at 1:15 PM, eggrobin said:

For the new moon (lunation number 213), the new release, Cardano, is out, bringing with it axial tilt, new reference frames, and timewarp-independent free fall. It marks the beginning of lunar releases.

Axial tilt? I thought that wasn't possible in KSP? Congrats on making that happen! I'm sure @regex will want to hear this, if he hasn't already.

18 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Axial tilt? I thought that wasn't possible in KSP? Congrats on making that happen! I'm sure @regex will want to hear this, if he hasn't already.

I'm in the IRC channel most weekdays, but thanks.

On 07/04/2017 at 10:00 PM, Iso-Polaris said:

How does principia handle the flyby mission contract and science definition sence there's no SOI

Concept of SoI is still there and used for science calculations and worlds-first records, so i think it would for stock flyby contracts too.

It just has no influence over the vessel trajectories.

On 1. 1. 2017 at 4:29 PM, eggrobin said:

Sounds you have a timewarp mod that sets the minimum non-physics timewarp altitude to below ground level; we move the vessel around when it's above that altitude, bad things happen if the ground is there.

I had same problem with stock Minmus where timewarp altitude (3000 m) is bellow some of the terrain. Settings timewarpAltitudeLimits to 6000+ also helped.

On 4/10/2017 at 1:57 AM, Yargnit said:

How can I swap back to the stock nav ball? I tried just deleting the textures for the new ones, but KPS crashes when I load the space center in for the 1st time after that.

Thx.

Please refer to the FAQ: https://github.com/mockingbirdnest/Principia/wiki/Installing,-reporting-bugs,-and-frequently-asked-questions#i-dont-like-your-navballs; it was a bit out of date, but we just updated it.

50 minutes ago, nablabla said:

Does it work with RSS and realism overhaul? Did someone try?

It does, and we make special efforts to accurately model the astronomical phenomena of the real solar system; please refer to the FAQ: https://github.com/mockingbirdnest/Principia/wiki/Installing,-reporting-bugs,-and-frequently-asked-questions#realsolarsystem-users.

A quick question: Since it seems that Realism Overhaul & Ferram are not going to be released for 1.2.2 anytime soon (RO especially is almost mandatory for playing with Real Solar System), I have been using a mod called "Outer Planets Mod" (see link below).

Is the solar system with this still stable? Since it adds quite a lot of bodies (including a version of Pluto), I am worried of a body either getting ejected from the solar system or crashing into another. I read something on Principia github briefly mentioning this, but how can I find out for myself?

On 4/21/2017 at 8:10 PM, GrahamsNumber said:

A quick question: Since it seems that Realism Overhaul & Ferram are not going to be released for 1.2.2 anytime soon (RO especially is almost mandatory for playing with Real Solar System), I have been using a mod called "Outer Planets Mod" (see link below).

Is the solar system with this still stable? Since it adds quite a lot of bodies (including a version of Pluto), I am worried of a body either getting ejected from the solar system or crashing into another. I read something on Principia github briefly mentioning this, but how can I find out for myself?

EDIT: Oy vey:

other issues below

I ran a quick in-game test and it appears that with OPM & Principia installed, the Jool system is in the unstable resonance again, with Vall thrown into eccentric orbits and ejected entirery in a matter of months. Retrobop isn't present either, so Bop is expected to follow I believe. (confirmed Bop ejected in 10 years) After ejection, orbit of Vall is not drawn properly by KSP, and I think principia won't treat it as a circumsolar planet either for flight planning purposes, so it becomes tricky to reach (or even find)!

I'm not sure what side this should be fixed on. 

In the Sarnus system, the blue second innermost sattellite exhibits some sort of eccentricity periodicity. It collides with the yellow one in 13 years.

I'm not sure if this is a cause for concern, though it'd sure destroy the rings were they real

Urlum seems to have two satellites in the same orbit in L4/L5, is that intended?

Edited by nanomage

@nanomage Thanks for the reply. Did you also try the recommended steps of setting custom configurations in Kopernicus? I tried that, so far in my game the systems are stable, but then again, I'm only a few weeks in.

I had another question to @eggrobin - How do I file a good bug report that is useful to you guys? Because I ran into a severe one. Simple run-down in case this is already helpful:

With Principia installed, I tried to land on the Mun in career mode. Had a simple craft with landing struts equipped. Except, it's impossible to land, since I fall through the ground and explode (even if I touch down at only 1-3 m/s). I tried to land in several different spots, the problem always remained. The craft would "sink" into the ground approximately until the command pod, then there would be an explosion and a notification that good ole' Jeb has been killed (sometimes, the craft would bounce up, crew capsule intact, but it would still tell me that Jebediah was dead). I also noticed that every time I tried to land, there was a strange kind of rumble and jitter, about 1 meter from the surface of Mun, shortly before my craft sank and exploded.

Now, at first, I thought this was a texture bug, or a problem with one of my (admittedly many) other mods. So, in an effort to see what would happen, I tried to hover just above the surface of Mun and then go to EVA, which would make my game crash. The "stderr.log" notes:

F0423 13:24:04.924788  6664 interface.cpp:642] System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at principia.ksp_plugin_adapter.PrincipiaPluginAdapter+<AdvanceAndNudgeVesselsAfterPhysicsSimulation>d__89.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

So, after reading this, I tried to remove Principia, and now everything works. I can land on the moon just fine,  and there are no more game crashes.

Not quire sure what causes this, or if I'm the only one affected, but I hope you guys can fix it. Principia is by far my favorite mod.

Kind regards, and best of luck. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

PS: If I could, I would love to fix this myself, or to contribute to what you guys do. I do have some C++ experience, and even some experience in computational science (mostly molecular dynamics simulations), but I never contributed to an OS project before and am not really sure where I would even begin to find that bug, or how to contribute "correctly".

On 4/21/2017 at 0:10 PM, GrahamsNumber said:

Do note that there is an (unsupported) dev version of Realism Overhaul targeting 1.2.2, see the thread.

7 hours ago, nanomage said:

I ran a quick in-game test and it appears that with OPM & Principia installed, the Jool system is in the unstable resonance again, with Vall thrown into eccentric orbits and ejected entirery in a matter of months. Retrobop isn't present either, so Bop is expected to follow I believe. (confirmed Bop ejected in 10 years) After ejection, orbit of Vall is not drawn properly by KSP, and I think principia won't treat it as a circumsolar planet either for flight planning purposes, so it becomes tricky to reach (or even find)!

I'm not sure what side this should be fixed on. 

In the Sarnus system, the blue second innermost sattellite exhibits some sort of eccentricity periodicity. It collides with the yellow one in 13 years.

I'm not sure if this is a cause for concern, though it'd sure destroy the rings were they real

Urlum seems to have two satellites in the same orbit in L4/L5, is that intended?

Please refer to the FAQ entry for Kopernicus users: since this is not the stock system, you are responsible for applying the retrobop patch yourself. Further, you also need to make sure that the rest of the system is stable.

3 hours ago, GrahamsNumber said:

I had another question to @eggrobin - How do I file a good bug report that is useful to you guys? Because I ran into a severe one. Simple run-down in case this is already helpful:

With Principia installed, I tried to land on the Mun in career mode. Had a simple craft with landing struts equipped. Except, it's impossible to land, since I fall through the ground and explode (even if I touch down at only 1-3 m/s). I tried to land in several different spots, the problem always remained. The craft would "sink" into the ground approximately until the command pod, then there would be an explosion and a notification that good ole' Jeb has been killed (sometimes, the craft would bounce up, crew capsule intact, but it would still tell me that Jebediah was dead). I also noticed that every time I tried to land, there was a strange kind of rumble and jitter, about 1 meter from the surface of Mun, shortly before my craft sank and exploded.

Now, at first, I thought this was a texture bug, or a problem with one of my (admittedly many) other mods. So, in an effort to see what would happen, I tried to hover just above the surface of Mun and then go to EVA, which would make my game crash. The "stderr.log" notes:

F0423 13:24:04.924788  6664 interface.cpp:642] System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at principia.ksp_plugin_adapter.PrincipiaPluginAdapter+<AdvanceAndNudgeVesselsAfterPhysicsSimulation>d__89.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Please refer to the FAQ entry on reporting bugs following a FATAL error: you need to provide the INFO log ending with that FATAL failure.

Edited by eggrobin

Hi @eggrobin

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have read your FAQ entry for Kopernicus users. Unfortunately, that small entry does not state how to make sure that the rest of the system is stable (i.e. how to simulate it, other than just letting the game run at max speed for a couple of hours). Would you have any more guidance on that, and what I should do if I find that the system is unstable?

Second: Only the error on exiting EVA was fatal, and for that, I will try to reproduce it (luckily, I still have a save), but for the issue with the vessel sinking into the Mun, this doesn't even cause a crash. Anything else I could provide here for you?

Kind regards.

3 hours ago, GrahamsNumber said:

Hi @eggrobin

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have read your FAQ entry for Kopernicus users. Unfortunately, that small entry does not state how to make sure that the rest of the system is stable (i.e. how to simulate it, other than just letting the game run at max speed for a couple of hours).

The planets simulate at much lower rate that vessels, so if you disable asteroids you can simulate 1000 years in 2 or 3 minutes with the stock system. If you add more stuff it will obviously be slower, but you shouldn't have to wait hours.

Edited by maccollo