[WIP][1.8.1, 1.9.1, 1.10.1, 1.11.0–2, 1.12.2–5] Principia—version ‎Канторович, released 2024-03-09—n-Body and Extended Body Gravitation

eggrobin

For the new moon (lunation number 220), the new release (Chasles) is out.

A long-standing bug, #1413, initially reported by @maccollo, and also reported by @Cristi, @DaMichel@goldstarstickergiver, @lyttol@nanomage@Parafaragarmus, @rsparkyc, et al., was fixed. This bug prevented landing on peaks of some bodies (notably Minmus) as well as on the Moon in the current version (12) of RealSolarSystem. The fix involves making Principia handle vessels even when KSP's physics operate in a rotating reference frame, all the way down to the ground; as soon as a Kerbal jumps on Minmus, Principia computes its trajectory. Note that vessels within an atmosphere are unaffected; we intend to also handle these down to the ground, but this requires an update in @ferram4's FAR since we want to remain FAR-compatible.

Further, Principia now supports KSP 1.3.1; downloads are available for 1.3.1, 1.3.0, and 1.2.2. Make sure you download the right one (if you don't, the game will crash on load).

See the change log for details.

Thanks to @awang for contributions (clang warning cleanups) during this lunation.

Edited by eggrobin
Forgot to mention two people impacted by #1413

this is too hard for me to understand.. But maybe can anybody help me?
Does this mod work with fully modded ksp?

Does this Mod changes physics, and does this gain better performance?

Is it safe to install, or is it just for developers or something like that?

thanks!

48 minutes ago, Agustin said:

this is too hard for me to understand.. But maybe can anybody help me?
Does this mod work with fully modded ksp?

Does this Mod changes physics, and does this gain better performance?

Is it safe to install, or is it just for developers or something like that?

thanks!

I guess it depends on how fully modded your KSP is. This would probably break horribly with the mods that do orbital decay or on-rails thrust. Other issues are pretty minor.

Hangar CTD's when you try to spawn a vessel in orbit. 

TCA and Mechjeb don't understand it and attempt to do their autopiloting in conics approximation, so relying on them for orbital maneuvres can get inconvenient/irritating/suicidal.

CKAN scanning of the Mun, Duna, and especially Ike is awkward because polar orbits get disrupted quickly.

Last i checked, it worked with persistent rotation. It definitely works with RSS/RO, (even better than with stockalike systems), kerbalism, KIS, and does not conflict with NFT.

it's so addictive I can't play without it anymore. For me it's not even as much the proper gravity but the frame-dependent trajectory plotting, it's just a much better approach.

performance is all right

ok i HAVE INSTALLED AND TRIED TO GO TO THE MOON. This is awesome. But I need some understanding.Question: How can I make the menus smaller? I don't have too much resolution and can't see anything without being obstructed by the planning maneuvers editors. It would be great if I could choose the menu's definition and be able to size it according to my needs. Or maybe smaller menus for people like me with low resolution screens? Thanks in advanced, regardless there is a solution or not.

Also, should I delete precision maneuvers, and better maneuvers and such mods? Also what about trajectories? 

This mod is fantastic and I have been using it in every runthrough since I found it, but I still have problems finding efficient planet-sun L4 and L5 point transfers. Are there any guides for this out there? Perhaps some visual thing to help target said points could be added to the planets with stable lagrange points? 

Edited by DeOriginale69

How is the memory/performance footprint of this mod? I'm eager to try it out, but have worries that my system might not be able to calculate it smoothly - after all, numerical calculations are a lot more intensive than the simple ones of ksp.

And i assume OPM would become unstable, woudn't it?

1 hour ago, Athur Dent said:

How is the memory/performance footprint of this mod? I'm eager to try it out, but have worries that my system might not be able to calculate it smoothly - after all, numerical calculations are a lot more intensive than the simple ones of ksp.

I installed it yesterday and it runs smoothly on my fully modded ksp install. This MOD is greaaaaaat. My computer isn't that fast. Performance is not an issue.

12 minutes ago, Agustin said:

How do I change vessel in map view. Clicking just changes de focus view. Doubleclicking does nothing. I need a guide to understand the UI

Agus, you need to go to map view, open Principia's menu, click on 'Select Target Vessel...' and left-click on the vessel' you want to target. A 'Switch-to' button will appear in Principia's menu, which can be clicked to switch.

Edited by hypervelocity

On 21/10/2017 at 10:12 PM, Athur Dent said:

I fired OPM up and it was unstable. First of all, any modifications to stock would rollback the retrobop.cfg fix that principia by default applies to the unmodded stock system, so you have to manually apply that. second thing, i saw 2 innermost satellites of sarnus (hale and ovok, i think) collide after some time.

Hey. So I tried loading Principia with New Horizons, using the planet patches that I created to stabilize modded systems, and Kerbin, all of a sudden, has a 35-minute rotation period, with no coding suggesting that this should be the case. I checked to see if any of the other mods I had could be causing this, and found nothing. I was wondering if you might be able to figure something out?

@eggrobin, there is absolutely no chance that you guys may consider returning stock ksp manoeuvre node system? Pretty please! :blush:

I understand that it is not very precise, but it is still good for getting the general planning. Especially for multiple encounters.

Also ksp crashes when I try to plan a manouvere longer than 9000days. I probably need to invest in RAM, right? Right now I have only 16Gigs

56 minutes ago, panourgue said:

@eggrobin

...Also ksp crashes when I try to plan a manouvere longer than 9000days. I probably need to invest in RAM, right? Right now I have only 16Gigs...

I dont think is a ram issue since my pc has trouble with showing the predicted trajectories past 800 days, and I have 64gb. Its limited because it is a single threaded process. The CPU clock speed would have a larger impact than throwing more ram at it. 

22 hours ago, Agustin said:

I need a guide to understand the UI

Fortunately, there is one.

1 hour ago, panourgue said:

ksp crashes when I try to plan a manouvere longer than 9000days. I probably need to invest in RAM, right? Right now I have only 16Gigs

If you encounter a crash, please report a bug following the instructions in the FAQ. Without our logs we cannot tell anything about your crash.

12 hours ago, eggrobin said:

If you encounter a crash, please report a bug following the instructions in the FAQ. Without our logs we cannot tell anything about your crash

Ok. This time it managed to plan for ~11000 days (still not enough to go to Pluto with my heavily assisted trajectory). Then - ctd. Ksp did not create a folder with logs.

All logs are here:

https://gist.github.com/panourgue/1eec5db2c8f036808775eea81340c267

Issue: https://github.com/mockingbirdnest/Principia/issues/1614

----

I don't care so much about the crashes since I am obviously asking too much (50 years of flight plan). What I am asking: there is absolutely no possibility for you to re-enable stock manoeuvre node system left click "add manoeuvre"  functionality?

Edited by panourgue

Thanks for the bug report.

I don't care so much about the crashes

But we do: this is not the computer freezing because it was asked to do a long computation, this is an actual logic error in Principia causing a CHECK failure: we need to fix it.

What I am asking: there is absolutely no possibility for you to re-enable stock manoeuvre node system left click "add manoeuvre"  functionality?

Especially for heavily assisted trajectories, this would not be very useful; further, enabling it in a way that doesn't interfere with our own plotting and flight planning would be a large amount of work, and we're not interested in spending time in this direction.

On the other hand, what we want to do is to improve our flight planning system, so that it can be used to plan your trajectory.

Aside from the crash (which will have to be resolved; we may need a journal for that, we'll get back to you with details on how to make one if we need one), was the speed of the flight planning tool usable? If not, did you increase the tolerance? What particular aspects of planning are difficult with the current tool?

guys, honestly don't know if this is an intended feature or a secondary/side effect from the code, but the mod is producing alarmingly large amounts of

ADDICTION

my god, did this mod rejuvenate my *need* to play KSP again! I am fascinated by the new trajectories, it is mesmerizing, I sometimes just sit there, watching the curved lines twist and intertwine... the possibilities are endless - also flight planning is FUN, challenging and powerful!

I have always played KSP with RO/RSS, but I don't think I will ever be able to play without PRINCIPIA again.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU 

Edited by hypervelocity

20 hours ago, eggrobin said:

enabling it in a way that doesn't interfere with our own plotting and flight planning would be a large amount of work, and we're not interested in spending time in this direction.

Oh well... )))

20 hours ago, eggrobin said:

was the speed of the flight planning tool usable? If not, did you increase the tolerance?

I increase "amount of something per segment" and tolerance too. About speed, well you must understand that when you want to enconter Pluto with low velocity your orbital period may be several decades ))) in this case yeah it's a bit slow

21 hours ago, eggrobin said:

What particular aspects of planning are difficult with the current tool?

I'll try to make a post with pictures on a weekend.

Also thanks a lot for responding to a not so pleasant (I must imagine) posts.

On 10/24/2017 at 2:57 PM, eggrobin said:

On the other hand, what we want to do is to improve our flight planning system, so that it can be used to plan your trajectory.

A simple improvement (at least concept wise and in my head, don't know about the actually difficulty involved in implementation) would be to enable editing of any manoeuvre in the flight plan. Whether to place the manoeuvres in the future of the edited one at the same time or to shift them (in time) by the same amount is something to be carefully considered. But I assume that leaving them at their own times would be easier. Have an 'Edit' button for a manoeuvre, when used all future manoeuvres go into a standby state. Once you click 'Done' or such, the future manoeuvres get placed one by one as the trajectory ahead is calculated. This would be a great QoL improvement.

And I hate the word manoeuvre now.. ugh :P

2 minutes ago, scimas said:

A simple improvement (at least concept wise and in my head, don't know about the actually difficulty involved in implementation) would be to enable editing of any manoeuvre in the flight plan. Whether to place the manoeuvres in the future of the edited one at the same time or to shift them (in time) by the same amount is something to be carefully considered. But I assume that leaving them at their own times would be easier. Have an 'Edit' button for a manoeuvre, when used all future manoeuvres go into a standby state. Once you click 'Done' or such, the future manoeuvres get placed one by one as the trajectory ahead is calculated. This would be a great QoL improvement.

And I hate the word manoeuvre now.. ugh :P

I would support this, editing older manoevures (vs. only the latest one) would be cool! This would be specially useful when creating complex flight plans!

@eggrobin I had another question, when I click show manoeuvre on navball, does Principia create a single node and keep updating its values over time or does it constantly remove and add node according its calculations? I'm asking with kOS in mind, trying to write down a script that can execute nodes. The mod already has manoeuvre nodes defined and can get/set nodes in stock KSP. If Principia does create a single node, its really going to be fun playing around with flight plans that can be executed almost perfectly!