Jump to content

[WIP][1.8.1, 1.9.1, 1.10.1, 1.11.0–2, 1.12.2–4] Principia—version Ἱπποκράτης, released 2022-11-23—n-Body and Extended Body Gravitation


eggrobin
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 5/8/2022 at 1:55 AM, SquirrelBomber said:

The Principia DLL failed to load.
An unknown error occurred; detected OS Unix 5.15.0.27 64-bit; tried loading dll at 'GameData/Principia/Linux64/principia.so', 'GameData/Principia/MacOS64/principia.so'. Note that libc++abi1-8 and libc++1-8 or later (Linux) or Sierra or later (MacOS) are required.

Warning: don't load a Principia save before you have fixed this error; it might get damaged.

So, do you have libc++abi1-8 and libc++1-8 (or later) installed?  If so, which version?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2022 at 8:44 AM, MaltYebisu said:

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

I'm no expert on RP-1 or Principia, however, @NathanKell is currently playing with Principia and a dev version of RP-1. I haven't seen the entire playlist, but I think all missions are supposed to be doable with Principia installed. If you skip ahead in the playlist and videos, perhaps you can see how he did the missions where he needs to position a satellite. 

 

 

 

 

I hope it can help you. :)

 

@SquirrelBomber I don't know anything about how to troubleshoot Principia, but the experts will most likely help you when they have time. :wink: I hope you figure it out soon!

Thanks! i notice his missions in mission control are different from what i got (original KSP missions but compatible with RSS planet size). His missions come with RP1 or with another standalone mod?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm playing a game in the stock solar system to familiarize myself with Principia before (hopefully) starting a RP-1 game. 

After losing two SCANsat probes trying to map the Mun I'm searching for a way to know if a vessel is dropping below a certain altitude or the perigee is lower than a certain distance. How do you guys do it? Any mods that are able to give that kind of warning would make the game a lot less about babysitting my satellites and more about going new places.

The Kerbalism mod have a setting for warning you about a vessel entering atmosphere, but I couldn't find anything about going too low. I guess most people don't have to worry about orbits not being stable, because they play without Principia. 

Any tips would be appreciated! :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2022 at 1:50 AM, WilliamRiker2701 said:

Hi!, i'm having a difficult time trying to complete satellite positioning missions. I'm using RSS as well as Principia.
These are the kind of missions where you must position spacecraft at a specific orbit around a celestial object, and i find it very hard to accomplish one specific mission objective: stay in the orbit within reasonable deviation. Since with principia the orbit doesn't stay the same all the time, it's harder to stay at specific Pe and Ap points and also inclination, but looks like no matter how close i managed to make it, the objective doesn't get green ticked. Is it possible to do it? if i try harder i will accomplish the objective, or i'm just going to waste time?

This is a common question, which does not really have a good answer at this time.

On 5/21/2020 at 12:31 PM, pleroy said:

I believe that this is a well-know annoyance of the stock contracts with Principia.  They are based on 2-body mechanics (a.k.a. conics) and don't work well in the presence of more complex trajectories.

I also believe that KerbalismContracts plans to support more realistic contracts that would work well with Principia.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:55 AM, Sir Mortimer said:

My best guess is that the "maintain stability for 10 seconds" part of the contract fails because Principia keeps changing the orbit information all the time. My advice: cheat it to completion, and never take such a contract again, ever. (They're boring anyway)

KerbalismContracts is now known as Σκοπος (and while some of it will depend on Kerbalism, not all of it will). The goal remains to have contracts based on mission goals, (e.g., provide transatlantic television), rather than a specific solution (e.g., put this many satellites in that orbit). Besides putting mission design in the player’s hands, which should be interesting, not having an assigned orbit would also neatly sidestep the problem of figuring out if you are in this orbit in the presence of perturbations.

I am currently working on getting part of Σκοπος to some sort of prototype state usable for preliminary testing and getting basic information that could inform balance (but such a prototype would not itself be balanced, nor usable as a proper full-fledged  career), so this is still in progress.

49 minutes ago, MaltYebisu said:

I'm playing a game in the stock solar system to familiarize myself with Principia before (hopefully) starting a RP-1 game. 

After losing two SCANsat probes trying to map the Mun I'm searching for a way to know if a vessel is dropping below a certain altitude or the perigee is lower than a certain distance. How do you guys do it? Any mods that are able to give that kind of warning would make the game a lot less about babysitting my satellites and more about going new places.

The Kerbalism mod have a setting for warning you about a vessel entering atmosphere, but I couldn't find anything about going too low. I guess most people don't have to worry about orbits not being stable, because they play without Principia. 

Any tips would be appreciated! :D

Use the orbit analyser, set the mission duration to however long you need your orbiter to be around, and see if the analyser says collision or collision risk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, eggrobin said:

Use the orbit analyser, set the mission duration to however long you need your orbiter to be around, and see if the analyser says collision or collision risk.

Thanks a lot! :D

It was intuitive and easy to use. Combined with alarms, I can save my SCANsats long enough to complete the scans. :)

If only the game mechanics allowed KOS to work with unloaded vessels, making a maintenance script to work in the background every couple of orbits could be fun. :wink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, The latest Principia.hermite won't load on my system Debian9.13. Which uses libc++1:11.0.1-2~deb9u1 & libc++abi1:11.0.1-2~deb9u1. I am using running KSP-v1.12.3.

 I realize Debian isn't supported by KSP. But is there an older version of Principia that might run on my old system?

Thank You.

Ned

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ned000 said:

Hi, The latest Principia.hermite won't load on my system Debian9.13. Which uses libc++1:11.0.1-2~deb9u1 & libc++abi1:11.0.1-2~deb9u1. I am using running KSP-v1.12.3.

You have version 11 of the libraries, we require version 8, so that should not be the problem.  Is there any useful message in KSP.log?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, pleroy said:

You have version 11 of the libraries, we require version 8, so that should not be the problem.  Is there any useful message in KSP.log?

I guess I should have quoted the error message from KSP about needing libc++abi1-8 & libc++1-8. When I checked and had libc++1-11, libc++abi1-11. I figured the Error message in the gui was old. And a later version was required.

KSP.log

EXC 21:02:05.454] DllNotFoundException: principia
    principia.ksp_plugin_adapter.Log.InitGoogleLogging () (at <b7045db6431e4c8ca505f0d40f37267d>:0)
    principia.ksp_plugin_adapter.Loader.LoadPrincipiaDllAndInitGoogleLogging () (at <b7045db6431e4c8ca505f0d40f37267d>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    principia.ksp_plugin_adapter.Loader:LoadPrincipiaDllAndInitGoogleLogging()
    principia.ksp_plugin_adapter.PrincipiaPluginAdapter:.ctor()
    UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
    ScenarioRunner:AddModule(String)
    ScenarioRunner:AddModule(ConfigNode)
    ProtoScenarioModule:Load(ScenarioRunner)
    ScenarioRunner:LoadModules(List`1)
    ScenarioRunner:AddMainMenuScenarios()
    ScenarioRunner:onLevelWasLoaded(GameScenes)
    EventData`1:Fire(GameScenes)
    <FireLoadedEvent>d__46:MoveNext()
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)
[ERR 21:02:05.455] The Principia DLL failed to load.
An unknown error occurred; detected OS Unix 4.19.0.0 64-bit; tried loading dll at 'GameData/Principia/Linux64/principia.so', 'GameData/Principia/MacOS64/principia.so'. Note that libc++abi1-8 and libc++1-8 or later (Linux) or Sierra or later (MacOS) are required.

Warning: don't load a Principia save before you have fixed this error; it might get damaged.

Thank You,

Ned

Edited by Ned000
Clarity
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2022 at 8:51 PM, Ned000 said:

I guess I should have quoted the error message from KSP about needing libc++abi1-8 & libc++1-8. When I checked and had libc++1-11, libc++abi1-11. I figured the Error message in the gui was old. And a later version was required.

You might want to check which links to the actual libc++-abi files exists - they could disagree with the exact name that principia expects. Here is what Principia is linked against:

$ ldd Linux64/principia.so 
	linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffc3734c000)
	libpthread.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f3c0e31c000)
	libc++.so.1 => /usr/lib/libc++.so.1 (0x00007f3c0e243000)
	libc++abi.so.1 => /usr/lib/libc++abi.so.1 (0x00007f3c0e1fe000)
	libm.so.6 => /usr/lib/libm.so.6 (0x00007f3c0e116000)
	libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f3c0e0fb000)
	libc.so.6 => /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (0x00007f3c0def1000)
	/usr/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f3c0f436000)

This means Principa expects libc++abi.so at "/usr/lib/libc++abi.so.1". If I remember correctly, Debian usually has the actual library under a different name (including the minor versions), which might cause it to not be found. In this case, creating a symlink from /usr/lib/libc++abi.so.1 to the actual library file might help.

On 5/16/2022 at 8:51 PM, Ned000 said:

An unknown error occurred; detected OS Unix 4.19.0.0 64-bit; tried loading dll at 'GameData/Principia/Linux64/principia.so', 'GameData/Principia/MacOS64/principia.so'.

I think this one is harmless. KSP tries to load anything that looks remotely like a DLL, which unsurprisingly will fail for both the MacOS and Windows versions of the native Principia DLLs on a Linux install.

I noticed that kind of log spam a while ago in my install (also Linux, but Arch Linux, not Debian), and got into the habit to simply delete GameData/Principia/ MacOS64 (MacOS version of the native library) and GameData/Principia/x64 (Windows version of the native library) after each update to get rid of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, RKunze said:

You might want to check which links to the actual libc++-abi files exists - they could disagree with the exact name that principia expects. Here is what Principia is linked against:

$ ldd Linux64/principia.so 
	linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffc3734c000)
	libpthread.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f3c0e31c000)
	libc++.so.1 => /usr/lib/libc++.so.1 (0x00007f3c0e243000)
	libc++abi.so.1 => /usr/lib/libc++abi.so.1 (0x00007f3c0e1fe000)
	libm.so.6 => /usr/lib/libm.so.6 (0x00007f3c0e116000)
	libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f3c0e0fb000)
	libc.so.6 => /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (0x00007f3c0def1000)
	/usr/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f3c0f436000)

This means Principa expects libc++abi.so at "/usr/lib/libc++abi.so.1". If I remember correctly, Debian usually has the actual library under a different name (including the minor versions), which might cause it to not be found. In this case, creating a symlink from /usr/lib/libc++abi.so.1 to the actual library file might help.

I think this one is harmless. KSP tries to load anything that looks remotely like a DLL, which unsurprisingly will fail for both the MacOS and Windows versions of the native Principia DLLs on a Linux install.

I noticed that kind of log spam a while ago in my install (also Linux, but Arch Linux, not Debian), and got into the habit to simply delete GameData/Principia/ MacOS64 (MacOS version of the native library) and GameData/Principia/x64 (Windows version of the native library) after each update to get rid of it.

Thank you RKunze,

 I didn't know you could use ldd to check the linking of libs in linux, just executables.

<pre class="ipsCode">

~/home2/KSP/game/GameData/Principia$ ldd Linux64/principia.so
Linux64/principia.so: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by Linux64/principia.so)
    linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffcd19a0000)
    libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007fa2f9a18000)
    libc++.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc++.so.1 (0x00007fa2f974f000)
    libc++abi.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc++abi.so.1 (0x00007fa2f9519000)
    libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007fa2f9215000)
    libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007fa2f8ffe000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007fa2f8c5f000)
    /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007fa2fad1a000)
    librt.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0x00007fa2f8a57000)
    libatomic.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libatomic.so.1 (0x00007fa2f884f000)

</pre>

So libc++.so.1 & libc++abi.so.1 are not the problem. It's /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 debian 9.13 has libm.so.6 v2.24.

I would have to dist-upgrade to Bullseye debian 11 to get libm.so.6 v2.31. Debian 10 Buster has libm.so.6 v2.28.

And the other errors I had already figured out were os missmatch. I think when running linux you can just remove the

~/KSP/game/GameData/Principia/MacOS64 & ~/KSP/game/GameData/Principia/x64 directories. I will have to get Principia working first to find out.

So the question is? Is there a recent version of Principia that will work with libm.so.6 v2.24 `GLIBC_2.24'?

Thank You,

Ned

 

Edited by Ned000
code formating
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ned000 said:

So the question is? Is there a recent version of Principia that will work with libm.so.6 v2.24 `GLIBC_2.24'?

I think you'll have to try progressively older versions of Principia (older download links can be found in the history of README.md on GitHub).  We are building on Ubuntu 20.04, which apparently pulls this version of libm.  I believe that the last version built on Ubuntu 18.04 (which may or may not have the version of libm you need) was Hardy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, pleroy said:

I think you'll have to try progressively older versions of Principia (older download links can be found in the history of README.md on GitHub).  We are building on Ubuntu 20.04, which apparently pulls this version of libm.  I believe that the last version built on Ubuntu 18.04 (which may or may not have the version of libm you need) was Hardy.

Thank you pleroy, I will look there. And post back when I get it working.

Thanks,

Ned

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2022 at 1:40 PM, Ned000 said:

Thank you pleroy, I will look there. And post back when I get it working.

Thanks,

Ned

And 'Hardy' was the version I needed, thank you. It took me a while to figure out that the rocket must be in flight for 'Flight Planning' to work. Then I forgot to post back. 

Flight Planning on orbit. I can under stand that it will take an instantaneous launch at the exact moment for beyond LKO (Low Kerbal Orbit). But in real life that is what happens. Unless the rocket has enough propellant for a staging orbit. Mechjeb has select target for a timed launch. Maybe a collaboration can be worked out. So Flight planning can be done from the ground. Maybe the tracking station. Then a Timed launch can happen after you have the required delta V worked out. And your rocket build is tweaked to have said delta V.

Thanks,

Ned

Edited by Ned000
Clarity
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the new moon (lunation number 277), the new release (Ἥρων) is out.

Nothing new this time; we have been investigating the possibility of computing and displaying the equipotential lines.

 See the change log for more details.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Hello There,

Just want to share my experience, and maybe report some kind of bug related to principia versions from hausdorff on.

I have one install of RSS/RO on KSP 1.10.1, that I have keep updating with principia versions  as the game grows.

In some moment of the game related to the last 5 months,  I start to get inconsistent behaviour in MJ2, related to errors on circularization maneuvres, plotted trajectories way off and so on, also, I start to get errors related to maneuvrability of VTOL ships, mainly related with pitch lockups, that make impossible to get manual control of the ship, this issue was not apparent on SAS, only in manual control.

I´m gonna state that I did every test available on this so this is not a problem related with trim locks, reaction wheels or whatever else,  so let´s put all the obvious things aside.

I have  backups of the game that I did every time that I add a new mod or a new version of a mod, so I roll back into my backups until I got an install that did not have this issues,  the principia version on this install was hamilton, I update the principia version to the last one in that moment (hermite) on this install and all the issues appear again.

Trying to recover as most as I could from my game, I start checking all the other recent backups, I got the same issues with every version of principia from version  hausdorff on.

The version 2022020106-हरीशचंद्र (whatever that means)  is the last one that gives me a stable gaming with no abnormal issues using MJ2 2.12.3 , and it is the version that I use on my installs now.

It is always possible that this experiences are caused for some combination of mods interacting weirdly between them, but I solved in my case in the way described before, I report this as an user experience that maybe can help others.

bests,

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Makrom said:

The version 2022020106-हरीशचंद्र (whatever that means)  is the last one that gives me a stable gaming with no abnormal issues using MJ2 2.12.3 , and it is the version that I use on my installs now.

Just to clarify: are you saying that हरीश चंद्र works for you but Hausdorff (the version immediately after) does not?  That's interesting to know and quite puzzling as there were very few changes in between.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, pleroy said:

Just to clarify: are you saying that हरीश चंद्र works for you but Hausdorff (the version immediately after) does not?  That's interesting to know and quite puzzling as there were very few changes in between.

The door is open for inconsistencies caused by the interaction with other mods externals to the suite recommended for RSS/RO on 1.10.1, mainly Interstellar technologies /action groups extended/action groups manager, this mods were checked on the testing process and finally uninstalled at all, hausdorff was the initial candidate for a stable gaming, but after some time of game the pitch lookup issue appear again, so I roll back to the  हरीश चंद्र version, no issues with that until now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

For the new moon (lunation number 278), the new release (Hesse) is out.

  • All Principia windows now have a close button in the upper-right corner.
  • A crash has been fixed that would occur when loading a save if vessels made frequent short burns (for instance due to RCS).

 See the change log for more details.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 2/5/2014 at 12:19 AM, eggrobin said:

2022-06-29

For the new moon (lunation number 278), the new release (Hesse) is out.

  • All Principia windows now have a close button in the upper-right corner.

Yes, Yes, Yesssssss. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

It's as big as adding numeric input fields to flight planner.

 

 

 

Edited by ZAJC3W
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has the possibility of making the position of a celestial body and the vessel at a specific time visible in the current frame of reference been discussed? I was thinking of something like this:

I was thinking about this when planning an insert into the jool system, trying to find the best moon to use for a capture.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I'm really confused about the interface. I'm just trying to get something into the Kerbin-Sun L2 Lagrange point, and I have no clue what I'm doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe something that'd be less confusing than a full n-body simulation is a three-body simulation where the only bodies that exert gravity on your ship are the one you're orbiting, and the one that it's orbiting, for example if you were in orbit around the moon, the simulation would only take into consideration the gravity of the moon and Earth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MAFman said:

Maybe something that'd be less confusing than a full n-body simulation is a three-body simulation where the only bodies that exert gravity on your ship are the one you're orbiting, and the one that it's orbiting, for example if you were in orbit around the moon, the simulation would only take into consideration the gravity of the moon and Earth.

3 body isn't a whole different than simply going the whole way and doing an n-body simulation. Plus, it opens up its own can of worms, I think it was explained in this very thread a while ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi!

 I'm really enjoying using this mod and it's one of my favorites, but I learned that another mod called Orbital Decay conflicts with this one. I would like to know if it is possible (in one of the future updates) for Principia to put the same idea of having an orbital decay in relation to atmospheric drag, radiation pressure and among other factors? I was missing having this in the Principia mod and I was in this doubt.

 Thanks in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...