[WIP][1.8.1, 1.9.1, 1.10.1, 1.11.0–2, 1.12.2–5] Principia—version ‎Канторович, released 2024-03-09—n-Body and Extended Body Gravitation

eggrobin

3 hours ago, Dirt_Merchant said:

slowly all other textures begin to flicker

I saw something similar the other day,,,after at least the same amount of time...I think with KSP 1.11.2...we first noticed a 'funny' navball area (sort of like the 'Cheshire Cat' with disappearing parts...lol) and various flickering that progressively gets worse...but I have no idea of the origin of the flicker at this point so only made a note to look out for it again...did something suggest to you that it is related to Principia?

9 hours ago, AloE said:

I saw something similar the other day,,,after at least the same amount of time...I think with KSP 1.11.2...we first noticed a 'funny' navball area (sort of like the 'Cheshire Cat' with disappearing parts...lol) and various flickering that progressively gets worse...but I have no idea of the origin of the flicker at this point so only made a note to look out for it again...did something suggest to you that it is related to Principia?

The only thing is that i first noticed it after installing Principia - though given that i've got many other various mods (none that are known to conflict) i cannot be sure that it is not some strange interplay.  Also i can confirm it is on 1.11.2. The next time it happens I can try to provide a log if that seems helpful.

2 hours ago, Dirt_Merchant said:

i first noticed it after installing Principia - though given that i've got many other various mods

I've not seen the issue before Gröbner, is that the version of Principia you are using?...what I saw occurred in one of my minimally modded KSP GameData folders...only Principia, FARc, Craft Manager...are you using either FARc or Craft manager?  If not, then we might coincidentally have a similar hardware/driver related issue (my installs run on windows 10 with nvidia cards) or the newest Principia might actually be having/revealing some type of interaction...I'll be curious if the symptom ends up showing up in some way on a regular/predictable basis. 

example of odd nav ball perimeter (along with flickers symptom)
MkCz9jh.png

Yes i can confirm its Gröbner - i too am running nvidia hardware on windows 10. I am also running FARc, but not craft manager.

My symptoms are also slightly different, or well, they progressively get worse, starting with the skybox textures then leading into planetary textures, craft textures, then lastly emissive effects. Any mod based window is spared from this degradation though - very strange.

Edited by Dirt_Merchant

@theleg fyi...in case of interest to you, I've added a Principia, RSS, Real Scale Boosters save in the post linked to via the image below (see the save "Flight Plan to make the "Moon Square" link under objective 4 ) that also serves as a decent practice for a launch into a Lunar plane since there is a vessel already in the plane in LEO...you can also use the save to visualize the planes in the different frames...e.g. this save was made simply by 'eyeball' in map view using a 1 day history length in ECI & time warping until the circular Moon path was over our launch latitude...then I just picked a time (of night in this case) where an East launch lines up with the lunar plane lines which are visible if you increase history length say to 30 days & scroll out far enough in map view...also the flight plan for the transfer to the "Square(-ish) Retrograde Moon" orbit is visible in the save if you switch to the vessel which is already in orbit...

@scimas & @hypervelocity, you might also find these saves interesting to drop into one of your KSP 1.11.2 Principia RSS folders for tinkering.  Also, posting of additional interesting saves over on that thread is very much welcome.

Image below links to the full thread...Enjoy!

FmNILYI.png

@Dirt_Merchant @AloE There is extraordinarily little useful information in this discussion about "flickering textures" and "Cheshire cat navballs".  There is also blaming of Gröbner with very few supporting facts.  It is true that Gröbner contains significant changes, notably in the C++ side of things; it is conceivable that our C++ code would stomp on Unity data in ways that would just result in visual garbage but not in crashes.  But really this seems amazingly unlikely and I would need a lot more data (including reproducible scenarios with only stock and Principia) to be interested in investigating what the gremlins are doing.

On 7/5/2021 at 5:14 PM, pleroy said:

@Dirt_Merchant @AloE There is extraordinarily little useful information in this discussion about "flickering textures" and "Cheshire cat navballs".  There is also blaming of Gröbner with very few supporting facts.  It is true that Gröbner contains significant changes, notably in the C++ side of things; it is conceivable that our C++ code would stomp on Unity data in ways that would just result in visual garbage but not in crashes.  But really this seems amazingly unlikely and I would need a lot more data (including reproducible scenarios with only stock and Principia) to be interested in investigating what the gremlins are doing.

I can testify I encountered this same problem of flickering textures and then everything turning black. I posted some logs in modded tech support but got no answer.

I can't say if it's principia or not the one causing it. I can only say it only happened with KSP RSS+RO+Principia installed.

Is there anything in particular I need to do the next time it happens so you can analyze the reason? I do have those aforementioned logs you can check by viewing those threads I started, but they were mostly about crashes at launch of a vessell.

On 7/13/2021 at 11:53 PM, Sesshaku said:

Is there anything in particular I need to do the next time it happens so you can analyze the reason?

I would be grateful to know which version of KSP & Principia you were using when you experienced this, for example, by any chance the new Grossmann?  The tests take quite a bit of time so I have only used Gröbner so far in KSP 1.11.2.

Also, per discussion over at Discord, issue #3064 has been opened to help track this symptom cluster...much more detail is over there.

Hopefully after having time to review the current data, @pleroy will advise us with what further data may be useful.

On 6/27/2021 at 11:40 AM, R-T-B said:

It's because mods with native C++ dlls now crash KSP load process if the dll resides in gamedata.  Pleroy will need to move the native C++ folder to somewhere outside gamedata.  The paths are presently hardcoded to GameData so it will require devs to fix it in the code.

I have a manually patched version that gets around this, and works in 1.12.0.  Contact me if you want it, under the understanding that you absolutely must not bug official Principia channels with any issues from it.

I would like the 1.12 patch if you still have it. I understand the risks and so do the Kerbals of my save game.

On 7/18/2021 at 4:49 PM, mateusviccari said:

I would like the 1.12 patch if you still have it. I understand the risks and so do the Kerbals of my save game.

Hello, sorry I missed this.  I sent you a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running KSP 1.12.1 on Ubuntu 21.04 (Hirsute), and tried adding this mod (Grossmann version), together with RSS (although the problems described here also apply to an otherwise vanilla install with only Principia).

First I got the "loading part upgrades" hang, I was able to fix that by deleting the DLLs in the x64 folder which shouldn't be needed on Linux.

Then I got to the start menu showing Earth, but a popup told me to install libc++abi1-8. However, Hirsute only has libc++abi1-12 so I installed that, and ldd was happy. The popup went away, but I got a crash instead, with the log message

Fallback handler could not load library /home/jd284/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Mono/libGameData/Principia/Linux64/principia.so
Fallback handler could not load library /home/jd284/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Mono/libGameData/Principia/Linux64/principia.so
Caught fatal signal - signo:6 code:-6 errno:0 addr:0x3e80000434c
Obtained 9 stack frames.
#0  0x007f15875361f0 in funlockfile
#1  0x007f158504ffbb in gsignal
#2  0x007f1585035864 in abort
#3  0x007f121db4958b in google::DumpStackTraceAndExit()
#4  0x007f121db41a5d in google::LogMessage::SendToLog()
#5  0x007f121db42041 in google::LogMessage::Flush()
#6  0x007f121db45278 in google::LogMessageFatal::~LogMessageFatal()
#7  0x007f121d73a580 in principia__LogFatal
#8  0x0000004187549f in (wrapper managed-to-native) principia.ksp_plugin_adapter.Interface:LogFatal (string,int,string)

That was no surprise, because in 1.12 the KSP_Data/Mono directory doesn't even exist anymore. I don't know why it was looking there however (my CWD is definitely the main KSP directory, and it certainly wouldn't be a non-existing directory), but I just created the folders referenced and symlinked to the real .so file, and that message went away, but I was still left with the same crash log as above.

So is there anything else I could try? Should I just wait for official 1.12.1 support? I also tried manually installing libc++abi1-8 from Groovy but no dice.

[edit] Right, as usual the best way to figure out a solution is to type out a post... so I noticed the glog directory now (would probably be helpful to mention that on the Readme and/or bug reporting page), and saw that it aborted because of the wrong KSP version. And with the appropriate principia_override_version_check it seems to be working fine now!

Duh...

Edited by jd284

On 8/2/2021 at 1:29 AM, willysilly said:

Can i have the 1.12 patch too and a explanation on how to use it?

Sorry for the late reply.  PM will be sent shortly.

21 hours ago, pleroy said:

Turns out it's documented (note that signal 6 is SIGABRT).

Point taken, I guess I disregarded that paragraph because of the "Windows" heading, not realizing that the SIGABRT is relevant for Linux instead...