Principia—Build Your Own

eggrobin

This thread is devoted to people who want to build Principia themselves, either for security reasons, because they want to build from the latest commit, or because they use a platform other than Windows, Ubuntu, or MacOS.  Please post your questions/concerns/flames here and do not pollute the main Principia thread.
― The Principia co-authors, @pleroy and @eggrobin.
Edited by eggrobin

On 6/17/2017 at 7:10 AM, eggrobin said:
This thread is devoted to people who want to build Principia themselves, either for security reasons, because they want to build from the latest commit, or because they use a platform other than Windows, Ubuntu or MacOS.  Please post your questions/concerns/flames here and do not pollute the main Principia thread.

I thought there wasn't a MacOS build available... I keep an eye on the thread and github.

On 6/17/2017 at 8:10 AM, eggrobin said:
This thread is devoted to people who want to build Principia themselves, either for security reasons, because they want to build from the latest commit, or because they use a platform other than Windows, Ubuntu or MacOS.  Please post your questions/concerns/flames here and do not pollute the main Principia thread.

Wait, you have pre-built packages available somewhere? I could find no evidence of this in the original OP (the release names are links to Wikipedia articles and the github releases only have links to download the source code). I was trying to build it because I thought that was the only way.

... OK, finally found it. Might want to make that a bit more prominent.

3 minutes ago, tater said:

I thought there wasn't a MacOS build available... I keep an eye on the thread and github.

There is a MacOS version build by lamont-granquist on github here.  His builds lag a few days behind ours but he is keeping up with the changes we make.

3 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Wait, you have pre-built packages available somewhere? I could find no evidence of this in the original OP (the release names are links to Wikipedia articles and the github releases only have links to download the source code). I was trying to build it because I thought that was the only way.

... OK, finally found it. Might want to make that a bit more prominent.

Well, the README file on github is a good starting point... :)

From the main thread:

On 6/7/2017 at 0:02 AM, Rory Yammomoto said:

I've been running through the Dockerfile, actually - just running the commands in a normal shell instead of letting Docker f uck up. I can get to the part where I make, but then.... I get a bunch of things telling me that they want things that are in a 'build' folder that doesn't exist. Changing 'BUILD_DIRECTORY :=' from 'build/' to './' gives a whole bunch of different things it claims doesn't exist, seemingly the same files that are actually there, but ending with '.d'. I'm starting to think that we don't have enough of the things for it to work properly.

Notice that I was talking about Vagrantfile, not Dockerfile.  We have not used the Dockerfile for 2 years, so it's probably awfully out of date.  Anyway, I just removed it as it was only causing confusion.

If you want to build on a Linux, you need to execute by hand all the commands in the Vagrantfile (from "echo Provisioning Principia" to the marker "SCRIPT".  Then you need to make sure that you have the KSP assemblies in a directory named "KSP Assemblies" next to the "principia" directory.

Don't go modifying the Makefile unless you really understand what it is doing (and what you are doing).

11 minutes ago, tater said:

Ah, good point, fixing it now.

I Dled the Mac build, and there is no Principia.dll in there that I can find.

It appears as if it's not installed in testing. I'll have to work on this, it's on my most-wanted mods to install!

6 minutes ago, tater said:

I Dled the Mac build, and there is no Principia.dll in there that I can find.

It appears as if it's not installed in testing. I'll have to work on this, it's on my most-wanted mods to install!

Principia isn't C# its C++ so it complies to a native shared library on Mac OSX and not a windows-style cross-platform dll.   On windows you do get a principia.dll but on Mac and Linux you get a principia.so (although technically on Mac you get a dylib which is incorrectly named principia.so instead of principia.dylib because of mono-related $REASONS).

GameData/Principia/ksp_plugin_adapter.dll.config documents which platform gets which kind of file and where it goes.

GameData/Principia/MacOS64/principia.so is where the shared library is on a Mac.

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

If you have to tell me that, then there's a problem with the forum thread. Please take my comments here as constructive feedback.

The thread OP has links to the binaries. Before it had links it explicitly stated that one was to ask in IRC. At no time was the process of obtaining an available build obfuscated.

14 minutes ago, tater said:

There is no MacOS64 folder at all in what I just DLed. 

https://github.com/lamont-granquist/Principia/releases/tag/cauchy-macosx-2

If you were trying the prior one it had a bit of a concatenated gzipfile hot mess going on.

If you were downloading the windows build off of the main principia release page, then you need to download from there instead (note the URL is my fork and not the main page).

Oh, I DLed the latest release, then decided to check the first one. None had that :) . I have not DLed any windows version. Note that the the source zip and gz files for download (that version #2 you just linked) also do not contain that directory at all.

2 minutes ago, regex said:

The thread OP has links to the binaries. Before it had links it explicitly stated that one was to ask in IRC. At no time was the process of obtaining an available build obfuscated.

The thread OP is 5214 words long. The paragraph with the link is 391 words in. It has no visual hierarchy changes such as bold or a header to draw the eye when skimming such a very long post for the first thing most readers want to find. The link text is "here." There's a version history, but it has no links to the versions it references. There's a Github page with releases, but they only have source code links.

I'm not going to debate the definition of "obfuscated," since that's your word and not mine. The above are problems regardless of the wording you want to use to describe them.

2 minutes ago, tater said:

Oh, I DLed the latest release, then decided to check the first one. None had that :) . I have not DLed any windows version. Note that the the source zip and gz files for download (that version #2 you just linked) also do not contain that directory at all.

the source zip isn't built, its just source, you need the principia_Darwin-2017062403-Cauchy-3-g07ff83f6dc739bda4e3d4950e4121466be5b8110.zip file

6 minutes ago, Jim DiGriz said:

the source zip isn't built, its just source, you need the principia_Darwin-2017062403-Cauchy-3-g07ff83f6dc739bda4e3d4950e4121466be5b8110.zip file

I had DLed that in another couple of builds and it was nothing more than a navball png (which I had no idea where to put), I didn't realize it was supposed to contain anything else as a result.

1 minute ago, tater said:

I had DLed that in another couple of builds and it was nothing more than a navball png (which I had no idea where to put), I didn't realize it was supposed to contain anything else as a result.

you should get this:

Archive:  principia_Darwin-2017062403-Cauchy-3-g07ff83f6dc739bda4e3d4950e4121466be5b8110.zip
  Length     Date   Time    Name
 --------    ----   ----    ----
        0  06-17-17 11:02   GameData/
        0  06-18-17 11:07   GameData/Principia/
        0  06-18-17 11:07   GameData/Principia/assets/
    60476  03-28-17 17:38   GameData/Principia/assets/navball_barycentric.png
    59050  03-28-17 17:38   GameData/Principia/assets/navball_body_direction.png
    58945  03-28-17 17:38   GameData/Principia/assets/navball_compass.png
    48044  03-28-17 17:38   GameData/Principia/assets/navball_inertial.png
    59527  03-28-17 17:38   GameData/Principia/assets/navball_surface.png
    60194  06-18-17 11:05   GameData/Principia/assets/navball_target.png
     7278  03-28-17 17:38   GameData/Principia/assets/toolbar_button.png
   103424  06-18-17 11:07   GameData/Principia/ksp_plugin_adapter.dll
      337  06-18-17 11:06   GameData/Principia/ksp_plugin_adapter.dll.config
    22318  06-18-17 11:07   GameData/Principia/ksp_plugin_adapter.dll.mdb
        0  06-18-17 11:09   GameData/Principia/MacOS64/
 14034448  06-18-17 11:09   GameData/Principia/MacOS64/principia.so
        0  06-18-17 11:07   GameData/Principia/real_solar_system/
    13777  06-18-17 11:05   GameData/Principia/real_solar_system/gravity_model.cfg
     8917  06-18-17 11:05   GameData/Principia/real_solar_system/initial_state_jd_2433282_500000000.cfg
 --------                   -------
 14536735                   18 files

On 6/18/2017 at 1:07 PM, pleroy said:

From the main thread:

Notice that I was talking about Vagrantfile, not Dockerfile.  We have not used the Dockerfile for 2 years, so it's probably awfully out of date.  Anyway, I just removed it as it was only causing confusion.

If you want to build on a Linux, you need to execute by hand all the commands in the Vagrantfile (from "echo Provisioning Principia" to the marker "SCRIPT".  Then you need to make sure that you have the KSP assemblies in a directory named "KSP Assemblies" next to the "principia" directory.

Still doesn't actually work. Still complaining about the .d folders.

5 hours ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

Still doesn't actually work. Still complaining about the .d folders.

The .d files (not folders) are created automatically by make early in the construction and contain dependencies between the units.  Are you sure that you have write access to the directory/ies where you downloaded Principia?  I have seen problems with the .d files when I had forgotten to run sudo.

On 6/20/2017 at 4:21 PM, pleroy said:

The .d files (not folders) are created automatically by make early in the construction and contain dependencies between the units.  Are you sure that you have write access to the directory/ies where you downloaded Principia?  I have seen problems with the .d files when I had forgotten to run sudo.

I always thought they were folders - Linux configuration folders are often 'config.conf.d'. Anyway, using sudo still complains about .d, but it then proceeds to make.

EDIT: and then it spits out 'ERROR 1' at the end. Progress is being made, but I still have a ways to go.

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.