[1.7.X] Civilian Population [RELEASED : 07/04/2018]

Pamynx

jrwpfKa.png

Turn your Kerbal society into a Type 1 Civilization by adding civilian exploration! 
Your agency, as research goes on, gains the ability to have civilians take part on your exploration.

Once build, your ships, orbital or ground station will welcome civilian that will pay a rent to your agency, breed, grow their kids, get aged and die.
You will also be able to train and recruit civilian to become regular kerbonauts.

As this mod is still under development, all the functionnalities are not available yet.

CKAN : install CivilianPopulation (Civilian Population 2.1.2)

Download : ksp-civilian-population-mod-2.1.2.zip

Github : https://github.com/rleroy/CivilianPopulation

Credits
This mod is a fork from "Newbier Newb's Revamp of Civilian Population" mod.

It exists thanks to the collective work of :

Licenced under CC BY-NC 4.0.

This mod requires Community Resource Pack.

Any kind of help is more than welcome, pick a `TODO` above, do it, and I will be glad to accept your pull request.
If you need help to understand how to build the mod, just ask !

Pictures

F9Xbfvs.png
Generic Album
Setting up a colony on Laythe

Electrical parts
- Netherdyne Reactor Unit DX-110
- Netherdyne Reactor Unit MX-99

Convert Enriched Uranium into Depleted Uranium, Xenon Gas and Electricity !

TODO : 
- Rebalance cost.
- Rebalance conversion speed.
- Big reactor animation won't stop.
- Turn the lights off when the reactors are off.

[WRN 00:08:25.564] [ShipConstruct for CivPopReactor]: part cost (15000.0) is less than the cost of its resources (432500.0)
    [WRN 00:08:25.598] [ShipConstruct for SmallCivPopReactor]: part cost (8000.0) is less than the cost of its resources (173000.0)

Science parts
- Netherdyne University.

A command and research module.

TODO :
- Fix EVA problems when there is not ladder.
- Implements training module that will allow to turn civilian into regular kerbonauts.

Utility parts : Apartments
- Civilian Large House mk2
- Civilian Small Apartment Complex
- Civilian Large Apartment Complex
- Civilian Contractor Dock Mk1
- Civilian Small House

Living quarters for civilians.

TODO : 
- Cannot go back in Small House.
- Add ladder to Small House.

[LOG 08:21:59.524] Load(Model): CivilianPopulation/Models/Utility/surfaceAttachHouseSmall
    [ERR 08:21:59.599] Triggers on concave MeshColliders are not supported

[ERR 08:21:59.600] Triggers on concave MeshColliders are not supported

Utility parts : Farms
- Hydroponic Garden Biosphere
- Small Hydroponic Garden Biosphere
- Netherdyne Farm Biodome Mk2
- Small Hydroponic Garden Module

Use plants to grow food, purify water and air. 

TODO :
- Remove biodome top attach point.
- Animation on "Small Hydroponic Garden Module" does not work.

Utility parts : Tanks
- Small Fertilizer Tank
- Small Waste Water Tank
- Small Sustenance Tank

TODO :
- Calibrate those to a capacity of 1 day / kerbal.

Utility parts : Drill
- Netherdyne XL-9000 Mega Laser Drill
- Netherdyne Laser Drill

Laser drilling for surface exploitation.

Ground parts
- Cruiser Landing Gear
- Cruiser Landing Gear Mk2

TODO ;
- Fix legs deployments

@see http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/135250-landing-legs-in-11/&page=1

@see KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems - GameData/PlanetaryBaseInc/BaseSystem/Parts/Wheels/LandingLeg.cfg

Structural Parts
- truss18x18NoCore
- truss6x18
- truss6x6Core
- truss6x6CoreL
- truss6x6CoreT
- truss6x6CoreX
- truss6x6NoCore
- bioSphereBaseNoWalls

All seems ok.

- bioSphereWindows
- bioSphereWindowsLarge
- bioSphereWindowsWide

TODO : Cannot go inside, should improve attach points.

- bioDomeBase
- bioDomeBaseLarge
- bioSphereBase
- bioSphereBaseWallRing
- parkbioDomeBase
- parkbioDomeBaseRock
- parkbioDomeBaseMetal

TODO : Attachment point in the air, cannot go "into" the structure.

Agency
TODO : Add Netherdyne as an agency.

@see KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems - GameData/PlanetaryBaseInc/BaseSystem/Agencies
@see KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems - Sources/PlanetarySurfaceStructures/SurfaceStructuresCategoryFilter.cs

Configuration for third party addons
------------------------------------

TODO : Kerbalism - Configure farms.

Civilian behaviour

DONE :

• Rent of civilian : 200 funds per civilian per day (6 hours).
  • Civilian contractor growth : Every 85 days on Kerbin orbit, 170 around Mun or Minmus, never elsewhere, a civilian will be created on an activated Civilian Dock.
  • Civilian recruitment process : The button recruit of the university will turn civilian living in this university into regular kerbals with a random choosen profession.
  • Civilian breeding growth : If allowed (From a Habitat part or the contractors dock), Kerbals will breed. Females give birth after 320 (3/4 of a Kerbin Year) days of pregnancy. Males can breed from 15yo females from 15yo to 45yo.
  • Civilian aging and death : Once a Kerbal reach 75yo, there (age-75)% chance per year that he dies from his old age any day during this year.
Edited by Pamynx
release 2.1.2

Good looking mod - Would it be possible to turn the linear growth mechanism off as an option in the UI? I would like to use this mod, but I don't really like the linear growth mechanic, preferring to fly any civilian resupply missions myself, rather than having them automatically turn up! Puts me off a bit. Exponential growth I'm fine with, as that's a somewhat more... "natural" process, slower, and more manageable.

On the exponential growth side, now female kerbals are a thing (which I don't think they were when this mod was first written), would it be possible to make the exponential growth mechanism a function of the male/female ratio, rather than them being weeds? Furthermore, on the exponential growth side of things, an idea for a game play mechanic would be to have a method of controlling exponential growth - have a button in the ship/station's root part which says "no more baby kerbals" which puts a reproduction ban in place, slowing (but not stopping) growth - accidents will happen, after all...

(Originally posted in the last dev thread before the new one was generated for 1.3, reposted for visibility!)

At the moment, this is just what happens, the kerbals are not breeding, do not worry. I first plan to have the civilian pay a rent, then come from contractors and after I will have them breed.

At that moment do not worry, I will provide you a way to slow down the breeding rate on selected ships.

Thank you for getting this working! I hope to add it in when it's compatible with Kerbalism. I also like the idea of my civilians spawning on the colony rather than having to ship them, it's the idea behind making the colony self sustaining. Is that how it works? I hope so. I also like the ban on breeding, it makes things a bit easier, so I won't always have to build new colonies because some Kerbal can't keep their pants up. Also I think just as the guy above said, your birth rate should be based on the ratio of male/female kerbals.

Can't wait to add this in to my mod list, gonna be starting a MARS series soon and have a longer term Icarus Initiative planned. Thanks, good work!

15 minutes ago, LeuZ said:

Great that this mod gets updated again!

But is there a working version for 1.2.2 anywhere? Because I think the other guy stopped at 1.2.0.  

No, there's no working version for 1.2.2. An API change in that KSP version broke this mod. It should work in 1.2.1.

I'm glad to see an official (re)post for this as well. I hope help comes and the work goes smoothly. :) @Pamynx

On 20/06/2017 at 2:51 AM, CraftyDwarf said:

Well, glad to hear work continues. I will pitch in if I can, since I don't know why the colony growth piece isn't working, I have little to offer. Also that is the primary feature I want the mod for.

Well, it depends...

I am totally new in .NET, Unity and plugin programming, but this is the part I should learnthe faster and I am currently working in a rework of the rent system and plan to continue on this mod behaviour.

The main problem I have is that I have absolutely no idea how to work on the 3D parts, and there are a lots of cool part that are not working properly. I will be glad if you could work in it.

Oh good, I'm glad you didn't follow the path of all the previous developers. I swear this amazing mod has been dropped and picked back up for every single update. I know that 1.3 wasn't that big, as I have a mod that I had very little problems updating, but the symbol of it not being dropped and moved to a new dev is very comforting. Next goal is to not move threads every update as well =P. Jk, keep doing what you doing, this is one of my favorite mods and I hope it continues to be developed.

21 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

@Pamynx  I found a problem. The domes, they act as one giant part that I can't enter or exit 

as in, when I am below the dome it acts like one giant part on top me, same if I put a capsule in it and eva, it acts like one giant part

Yes, I know, but I have no idea how to fix the 3D properties of the parts...

23 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

@Pamynx  I found a problem. The domes, they act as one giant part that I can't enter or exit 

as in, when I am below the dome it acts like one giant part on top me, same if I put a capsule in it and eva, it acts like one giant part

2 hours ago, Pamynx said:

Yes, I know, but I have no idea how to fix the 3D properties of the parts...

Easy enough to fix... theres several options.
You could model/texture an hatch/airlock right into either the domes or bases themselves, or modify one of the passable truss sections to have a hatch/airlock, or you could add this mod as a "recommended mod" to the OP:

Or maybe this might work, as well... vOv ??

Personally, if this were my mod, Pamynx, I would modify one of the passable truss sections into an "airlock" part, like Tiktaalik's, so users could decide on what domes to have one, and where to place it... Rather than modifying the dome or base parts...

Edited by Stone Blue

• 2 weeks later...

I just made new release of the mod : 2.0.3.

You can now get rent from the civilians in your ship (200 credits per Kerbin day aka 6h).

If your ship is in orbit, and you decide to activate the contractor docking port, contractors will deliver civilians in your ship for free ! This will happen once every 85 days in orbit around Kerbin, 170 days for Kerbin's moon. Contractors will not go beyond Kerbin's SOI and are not able to land their ships, you will have to do it yourself if you want to populate a Kerbin's resort or a Mun mining station (But as civilians are just regular kerbals, you can just transfer them from orbit to ground).

Coming next : Recruitment from the university, age (and death), birth.

As you can see, I do not plan to work on parts, if someone want to help me on this, he will be more than welcome !

Feel free to download this new version (The link is up to date), test and report any bug you may encounter !

Glad to see this mod getting picked up and continued (again).  This has always been one of my favourite mods as I love building off world colonies.  Can't wait to see this move forward and will certainly be playing with it again once you get the breeding growth working again (got a fun idea for a series with that function).  Keep up the great work

rip :'( I built a massive space station in orbit of eve in career mode thinking that it would get me tons of civillians, but then read on here that they don't breed yet. It cost me over 200,000 funds. rip my game

6 hours ago, Gin said:

rip :'( I built a massive space station in orbit of eve in career mode thinking that it would get me tons of civillians, but then read on here that they don't breed yet. It cost me over 200,000 funds. rip my game

This is not at all encouraging to the developer. Just saying.

Thanks for picking it up - it's one of the mods I wait for until updating. And it works like a charm for 1.3 - take your time in implementing growth and stuff, it's way less important than a continuation of the mod :)

Do you plan to put it on CKAN? I've seen it's one of very few mods not referenced there...

BTW: Maybe you'll save yourself some time if you try to stick to USI LifeSupport for the whole monstrosity of supplies. @RoverDude does a great job with his mods and they fit perfectly in the scenario.

Edited by M3tal_Warrior

On 20/07/2017 at 9:22 AM, Gin said:

Do you think I should add some contractor growth when out of Kerbin SOI ? A very slow growth of course. I can do it faster than natural growth, and will remove it when it will be implemented.

On 21/07/2017 at 11:25 AM, M3tal_Warrior said:

Thanks for picking it up - it's one of the mods I wait for until updating. And it works like a charm for 1.3 - take your time in implementing growth and stuff, it's way less important than a continuation of the mod :)

Do you plan to put it on CKAN? I've seen it's one of very few mods not referenced there...

BTW: Maybe you'll save yourself some time if you try to stick to USI LifeSupport for the whole monstrosity of supplies. @RoverDude does a great job with his mods and they fit perfectly in the scenario.

Actually, I prefer TACLS because it is much more simple. Kerbalism is cool, I liked the try I gave to it. But, for version 1.3, TACLS is not playable (Electricity is not produced when vessel is not active and civilians may die because of it), Kerbalism is not ready for 1.3, so I switched back to USI for my tests.

During those tests I found some bugs I fixed and plan to release a new version soon.

About CKAN I do not know how to publish my stuff there, if you find a good readme about this it will be a pleasure tu push something there.

On 09/07/2017 at 2:04 PM, Gordon Dry said:

How about an imgur album?

You know - "No pics ..."

Here you are ! Ok not much pics but it will grow as my career game grow. The parts are the same as in the old version and you can find lots of pictures there.

13 hours ago, Pamynx said:

About CKAN I do not know how to publish my stuff there, if you find a good readme about this it will be a pleasure tu push something there.

Did you see the wiki page of CKAN?

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/wiki/Adding-a-mod-to-the-CKAN

As for TAC LS: I did play a lot with it for some years, but I always had problems integrating it to MKS/OKS and Karbonite. When it wasn't clear if it was continued a while ago, I finally made a switch to USI LS, for integration into MKS, stability and continuity. I (as a biology student) sort of regret not having O2, H2O, CO2, Waste, Waste Water and Food around, but I love the mental health issues presented with USI LS. Plus you can configure what effects starvation has over time, so death is still an option, but not mandatory. Anyways, thanks for your dedication!

Found a bit of a problem. It may be tied in with MKS custom Kerbals can be rescued, But I just did my first rescue in a new save and got a Civ. Basicly useless since they have no skills :(

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:01 AM, Pamynx said:

Do you think I should add some contractor growth when out of Kerbin SOI ? A very slow growth of course. I can do it faster than natural growth, and will remove it when it will be implemented.

Are you saying an increase in funds-per-day the farther they are from Kerbin? If so, then I say yes, if you can. I would have no problem paying more to live on Mars then on the Moon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.