[1.7.X] Civilian Population [RELEASED : 07/04/2018]

Pamynx

2 hours ago, CttCJim said:

That's a big ask... 

Pretty sure posting your entire KSP folder is illegal. If that's the case remove it.

Also, If this is just your entire GameData folder (i doubt it is) you are also violating a ton of mod licenses. 

Edited by monstah

4 minutes ago, CttCJim said:

damn, good point. will do something different via PM. thanks, my bad.

distributing the game is illegal no matter how you do it... instead of distributing the entire game, provide steps to troubleshoot the guys issues.

and remove the link from your post.

Edited by Galileo

Oups, I do not though about the licence problem.

I go the save and managed to reproduce the problem. 

Give me few minutes and a fix will be ready !

By the way @Galileo, as all the mods where from CKAN (except mine), what is the problem sending the Game folder ?

I think the main problem is that KSP itself is not freeware so I was providing the entire game to anyone who might want to pirate it, although since it's the steam version that would be difficult. Regardless, there it is. Thanks for getting on the fix so quickly, I'm really looking forward to playing with this mod!

16 minutes ago, Pamynx said:

By the way @Galileo, as all the mods where from CKAN (except mine), what is the problem sending the Game folder ?

Same reason for the KSP game folders: people may have mods installed that do not allow redistribution, except from thier respective "official" download links
its a licensing issue
thats why sometimes you'll see people ask for not only logs, but just a *screenshot* of contents of gamedata folder... basically gives a list of installed mods, without actually "sharing" the mods

Edited by Stone Blue

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a fan of this mod since the 0.9 days, really looking forward to playing it in 1.3.1. So grateful that you've picked it up, Pamynx. :)

Just a quick question though - where do I find the part .cfg files for ndMovieTheater and ndflightschool?  I feel like they should be either in science with the university or in the utility folder. I can't find it in either one and I'm making sure that I'm not bugging out on my end and opening the zip wrong or something.

Those 2 part are not operational at the moment. I will try to bring them back when I have all the population management and life support operational.

As I am not very comfortable with part development, if you want to give a hand, let me know !

I am sorry for the low activity on the development of the mod at the moment, I am quite busy, but I am still around !

Oh no, that's quite alright. I didn't mean to sound pushy, I know you're doing this project with your free time without charge - a (for lack of a better term) labor of love as it were.

I"m no THAT experienced modding, but I was going to try to make some kind of patch where the theater and flight school gave you scouts, medics, geologists, etc if you had USI-LS and MKS/OKS installed. I actually have no idea what the Civilian Population system would give you if you didn't have a life support mod installed :blush: and would be more than willing to help you out in any way I can.

Again, sorry if I come off as sounding like I'm demanding additional features.

3 hours ago, sc0rch said:

Oh no, that's quite alright. I didn't mean to sound pushy, I know you're doing this project with your free time without charge - a (for lack of a better term) labor of love as it were.

I"m no THAT experienced modding, but I was going to try to make some kind of patch where the theater and flight school gave you scouts, medics, geologists, etc if you had USI-LS and MKS/OKS installed. I actually have no idea what the Civilian Population system would give you if you didn't have a life support mod installed :blush: and would be more than willing to help you out in any way I can.

Again, sorry if I come off as sounding like I'm demanding additional features.

No problem, you are not pushy :)

I just want to warn you that if those feature are feature I would like to add to the mod, do not expect them too early :P

Hey, I'm having some trouble installing CivPop through CKAN.

The error occurs on every attempt to install CivPop, even after a clean wipe of the entire KSP folder.

Error as following:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
CKAN.FileNotFoundKraken: Trying to install CivilianPopulation 2.0.12, but it's not downloaded or download is corrupted
   at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.Install(CkanModule module, String filename)
   at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.InstallList(ICollection`1 modules, RelationshipResolverOptions options, IDownloader downloader)
   at CKAN.Main.InstallMods(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1055.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ckan
    Assembly Version: 1.24.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.24.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/ckan.exe
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Transactions
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
System.Numerics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
System.Runtime.Serialization
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
System.Data
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1082.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
System.EnterpriseServices
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.EnterpriseServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Any idea on what causes it and how to fix it?

Edited by mockingking

On 6/17/2017 at 4:13 PM, Pamynx said:

Netherdyne Reactor Unit MX-99

Convert Enriched Uranium into Depleted Uranium, Xenon Gas and Electricity !

Please do not confuse Depleted Uranium with Depleted Fuel which is the CRP waste product of Nuclear Fission

to clarify:

Uranium Ore is split into Enriched Uranium and Depleted Uranium in a Isotope Centrifuge

(Fertile) Depleted Uranium  or Thorium is converted into  Plutonium or (Fissionable) Enriched Uranium , in a Breeder reactor,

Plutonium  or Enriched Uranium undergoes fission and is converted into Actinides in a Nuclear Power Reactor.

Actinides can then be reprocesed into Depleted Fuel  and Enriched Fuel in a Fuel Re-processor.

Edited by FreeThinker

On 2/13/2018 at 6:15 AM, mockingking said:

Hey, I'm having some trouble installing CivPop through CKAN.

The error occurs on every attempt to install CivPop, even after a clean wipe of the entire KSP folder.

Error as following:

Any idea on what causes it and how to fix it?

On 2/14/2018 at 6:27 PM, www2 said:

@mockingking

I have report this problem to ckan bug tracker.[1]

[1] https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/issues/2285

It seems to be a silly problem with the ZIP file; details available via new comments at the above link.

To sum up, the ZIP file says that you need PKZip 1.0 to unzip Traits.cfg in one place (the local file header), and PKZip 2.0 to unzip it in another place (the central directory), and since those versions don't match, the ZIP extraction library that CKAN uses reports that it's invalid. Does that field actually matter today, 25 years since the release of PKZip 2.0? Probably not. But it's still technically bad data, and the ZIP library that CKAN uses doesn't have a way to ignore this problem.

@Pamynx, I'm curious what tool you used to create this ZIP file. CKAN deals with many, many ZIP files, and I'm always surprised when a new problem like this crops up.

9 hours ago, Pamynx said:

Thanks for the information, I will try to fix that.

For your information, as I am a Java guy, I build the project with Maven, and the Zip is build by the assembly plugin.

Thanks! I tried cloning your mod from GitHub and ran "mvn package", and I think I see the same issue in my locally built ZIP as in the download.

Version 2.0 in central directory:

$ unzip -ZsvhM ./ksp-civilian-population-mod-2.0.13-SNAPSHOT.zip

Central directory entry #26:
---------------------------

There are an extra 16 bytes preceding this file.

CivilianPopulation/Experience/Traits.cfg

offset of local header from start of archive:   6170
                                                  (000000000000181Ah) bytes
  file system or operating system of origin:      Unix
  version of encoding software:                   2.0
  minimum file system compatibility required:     MS-DOS, OS/2 or NT FAT
  minimum software version required to extract:   2.0
  compression method:                             deflated
  compression sub-type (deflation):               normal
  file security status:                           not encrypted
  extended local header:                          yes
  file last modified on (DOS date/time):          2018 Feb 19 12:07:34
  32-bit CRC value (hex):                         eaa3fa43
  compressed size:                                80 bytes
  uncompressed size:                              101 bytes
  length of filename:                             40 characters
  length of extra field:                          0 bytes
  length of file comment:                         0 characters
  disk number on which file begins:               disk 1
  apparent file type:                             binary
  Unix file attributes (100755 octal):            -rwxr-xr-x
  MS-DOS file attributes (00 hex):                none

There is no file comment.

0x0a (= 10 = version 1.0) in the version field of the local file header

00001810  68 cf 06 02 00 00 31 04  00 00 50 4b 03 04 0a 00  |h.....1...PK....|
                                                     ^^
00001820  08 08 08 00 f1 60 53 4c  43 fa a3 ea 50 00 00 00  |.....`SLC...P...|
00001830  65 00 00 00 28 00 00 00  43 69 76 69 6c 69 61 6e  |e...(...Civilian|
00001840  50 6f 70 75 6c 61 74 69  6f 6e 2f 45 78 70 65 72  |Population/Exper|
00001850  69 65 6e 63 65 2f 54 72  61 69 74 73 2e 63 66 67  |ience/Traits.cfg|

... so blaming Maven's Assembly plugin looks like a safe bet. Do you know if it has a bug tracker?

The page is there : http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/index.html

I downloaded the source, and it seems to use "plexus-archiver" https://codehaus-plexus.github.io/plexus-archiver/

If you can try to check if you get the same problem with this lib quickly, I would be gratefull, or I will try myself as soon as I get 5 minutes.

2 hours ago, Pamynx said:

The page is there : http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/index.html

I downloaded the source, and it seems to use "plexus-archiver" https://codehaus-plexus.github.io/plexus-archiver/

If you can try to check if you get the same problem with this lib quickly, I would be gratefull, or I will try myself as soon as I get 5 minutes.

I'm trying to audit Plexus Archiver, but I don't see any explicit handling of these fields yet. It looks like it might be somewhere in org.apache.commons.compress.archivers.zip...

EDIT: Sorry, this is probably off-topic now if it wasn't before. I'll shift to posting updates on the GitHub link.

Edited by HebaruSan

9 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

EDIT: Sorry, this is probably off-topic now if it wasn't before. I'll shift to posting updates on the GitHub link.

One last post to resolve the issue: The nice maintainer at the Commons Compress project reports that this issue is fixed in version 1.15 of that package, with their latest version being something like 1.16.1. That would be libcommons-compress-java on Ubuntu and possibly other systems, and the latest version in my OS's repo is 1.13, so I find this explanation plausible. @Pamynx, if you can find a way to upgrade your commons-compress package to 1.15 or later, your existing build pipeline should become CKAN-compatible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.