The Biology/Wildlife Thread

ProtoJeb21

So this is just a thread to talk about biology and different organisms. Astrobiology and the discussion of life on other planets is included as well!

Personally, I've always had a fondness towards the natural word and the diversity of organisms on our planet. It's probably one of the major reasons that I not only enjoy astrobiology, but why I try to look for potentially habitable planets. But enough about my experiences, are there any other people in the forums who enjoy the study of biology?

Nice. Am not a biologist, but could try to help if it comes to Palaeontology, "that-what-is-old" literally translated, but in principle its about how the living realms formed on earth.

Edited by Green Baron

The last week I was passing some time in my friend's house in Sarasota but due to the heavy rain their pool was about to overflow, so I pumped out the water and just follow the flow all its way, to make sure it will not run to the neighbors garden, then at one moment I just stopped, like this, I don't know why but I stopped and raised my head to see her, right in front of my nose !

x0P8KPf.jpg

I can't identified her precisely.

I also got this little (and fat) friend some days ago while walking back to my car :

d7sRJnk.jpg

It was far from being afraid of me...

4TdlJSX.jpg

Camouflage.

qx8alAC.jpg

My bored daily companion.

19 minutes ago, tater said:

I take pictures of wildlife near the house all the time, everything from bobcats and bear to insects.

I dont get to see wild animals, in my area, ever. Not if you consider city roaming birds and cats wild. 

Thats awesome though, will you show some of your pictures on this thread sometime?

Biology is great. From ecology to molecular biology - I can pretty much guarantee you'll find enough jaw-dropping facts to satisfy the geekiest of geeks. Or, you could just make like @tater and enjoy the local wildlife.

Went on a simple hike...and found quite a lot. The highlight of today? Snakes! I've never found more than two in one day, but here I found FOUR - one striped garter snake, two water snakes, and an Eastern Milk Snake.

uCDEOu7.jpg

SgeGIld.jpg

H2i92Vd.jpg

I also found some weirder creatures today as well. Most I was able to take pictures of.

Full album HERE.

Not wildlife, in contrary. News from domestication, one of my favourite subjects. Today, CATUS, the domestic cat, wild form Felis silvrestris ... lybica.

http://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-017-0139

I asked my cat whether she remembered hunting in the dry Northafrican sands. Apparently not, she stood up, stretched, walked to the food plate and looked at me as we would look at the waiter when our mug is empty. Wildlife, eh ?

Edited by Green Baron

3 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Not wildlife, in contrary. News from domestication, one of my favourite subjects. Today, CATUS, the domestic cat, wild form Felis silvrestris ... lybica.

I asked my cat whether she remembered hunting in the dry Northafrican sands. Apparently not, she stood up, stretched, walked to the food plate and looked at me as we would look at the waiter when our mug is empty. Wildlife, eh ?

So - who domesticated who? :) 

15 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Our cat must have a much better memory than yours does. We're constantly removing dead birds, lizards, and occasionally mice from our garden and back yard. At least one per day, usually several. My wife said we should put the birds heads up on little pikes on the back wall as a warning.

1 minute ago, qzgy said:

I... um ... didn't? oops But I seem fine.

Anyway, the "common vectors" didn't seem to be present...

I'll keep an eye out though.

You've got to be really careful with wild rabbits. Rabbit Fever is no joke, it will jack you up something fierce.

I saw some otters yesterday but they were gone before I could take a picture.

I also saw this colourful bird, I'm not sure what kind. It was gray and had a large red spot on its head where you would wear a kippah. When it flew, the bottoms of its wings were yellow with lots of dark dots. Anyone know what this was? It was in the Great Lakes region, next to a pond.

Edited by Findthepin1

6 minutes ago, Findthepin1 said:

I also saw this colourful bird, I'm not sure what kind. It was gray and had a large red spot on its head where you would wear a kippah. When it flew, the bottoms of its wings were yellow with lots of dark dots. Anyone know what this was? It was in the Great Lakes region, next to a pond.

Was it a northern flicker?

Northern_Flicker.jpg\

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.