The Biology/Wildlife Thread

ProtoJeb21

Here's a rhino pic I took on foot in Nepal. Sorry for the low quality, it's a scan of ectachrome:

xMbhc7H.jpg

A monkey taken in the same country, different trip (it's at Swayambunath in Kathmandu):

8xI18x7.jpg

A marmot I photographed on top of a 14er (14,000 ft peak) in Colorado. Pretty sure this is on Wetterhorn, but I've been on a lot of 14ers:

cvF3LUD.jpg

A jumping spider my daughter found being awesome:

cMLQ5GS.jpg

Me doing a Disney princess impersonation with a vinegaroon:

iByauGP.jpg

Edited by tater
photobucket stinks

Buffalo near my house (fenced in on the indian reservation, but none the less wild creatures):

KkY80s3.jpg

A friend caught a rattlesnake to let it go away from his house:

AZZj6w0.jpg

Quail:

qcVBbnK.jpg

Edited by tater

22 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Mutual help between animals. A gentle spider helps the injured fly with scragged neck to come back to home. 

Reveal hidden contents

LOL.

Jumping spiders are awesome. She pointed it out to me on the front walk, and I took the picture, then  said, "Keep being awesome, little dude!" and walked on.

I've found a lot of different creatures over the last few days. I FINALLY got a good picture of the assassin bug that I found on Sunday, and I even got some cool photos of two-lines salamanders and crayfish, among other things.

3PZvN3h.jpg

icyHA1u.jpg

MOnab4d.jpg

However, my main target is either an Eastern Milk Snake or a Ring-Necked Snake. They are two of my favorite reptile species, and not much is known about the behavior of the latter.

Full album HERE.

Does Paleontology count on this thread?

Here are some Dinosaur Misconceptions for ya.

-Dinosaurs did in fact have feathers, the recent articles that have been popping up are wrong. They claimed that T-Rex was not feathered, wich is based around the finding of scales on a T-rex. Well, the patch if scales was only as big as the diameter of a small worm, and hell, you cannot judge the entire skin of an entire animal the size of a truck from something the size of a seed. The media screwed it up alot.

-Dinosaurs are not tail dragging kangaroos, its 2017 boys! Not 1917!

-Dinosaurs are still alive, we have birds.

-An animal can not only have 1 skin type option. Look at an Ostritch, it has feathers on its arms, back, tail, neck, etc, it has bare skin on its upper leg and has scales on the lower leg. This mix can also happend with Dinosaurs.

-Velicorapters are not really that epic im sorry. They are actually just violent aggresive dumb little chickens dont worry.

Hmm. Guess New Mexican wildlife is alot more interesting than Central New Jersey wildlife.

Here, its mostly a bunch of squirrels and deer, the occasional groundhog and some birds.

Edited by qzgy

4 hours ago, tater said:

My kids will do the same. It's harmless, indeed it eats pests, it's a good critter (like snakes around here).

Yeah, it looks like a giant cricket with lobster claws. So seems pretty benign.

Smells like vinegar, they gesture with the pincers, but I have yet to get pinched, though I suppose it might if I was acting threatening. I pick up snakes, too (just not rattlesnakes). Interestingly, last weekend the guy across the street from my in-laws saved a rattler from being run over in the street (it was basking).

October is when we see all the lonely male tarantulas wandering about looking for that special lady:

loMN0HJ.jpg

Not the wildlife, but a creation of one...

A beaver dam up at Snowmass, CO:

YioqTxa.jpg

17 hours ago, qzgy said:

Hmm. Guess New Mexican wildlife is alot more interesting than Central New Jersey wildlife.

Here, its mostly a bunch of squirrels and deer, the occasional groundhog and some birds.

Are you sure Sea Centipedes are not more interesting and horrifying than Vinegaroons?

2 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Are you sure Sea Centipedes are not more interesting and horrifying than Vinegaroons?

Never seen those. I live kinda inland, closer to the delaware river than the ocean. Also, still think Vinegaroons/Whip scorpions are a bit more nope-candy.

Edited by qzgy

4 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Never seen those. I live kinda inland, closer to the delaware river than the ocean. Also, still think Vinegaroons/Whip scorpions are a bit more nope-candy.

Well yes, technically this was on the coast, but it's still a NJ animal. I found her last June in a tide pool. Probably close to two inches long with tons of claw-like legs around her head. I'm not too sure if a Sea Centipede can give you a bite as bad as a land centipede, but I wasn't willing to know.

Also I knew it was a female because it was holding (or eating) a baby Sea Centipede. Horrifying.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.