Stock Alike Rocket Boosters (SARB)

This mod will be all about making SRBs modular and more useful.

I want to get into mod making and had an idea for a parts mod. As it turned out, this idea isn't all that original, as you can see here, but outdated. I also heard modular SRB's are a part of SSTU (I'm not sure, I haven't used SSTU yet).

Still, I think it would make a fine first project and I also think it would be nice to have it as a separate mod that fits nicely with an otherwise vanilla game.

The general idea would be to have SRB segments in the fuel tank section and nozzels in the engines section that you can combine as you wich. The mod shall be very stock alike, the parts I have in mind are:

- .625m SRB segments and nozzles (1 high thrust sea level and 1 low thrust vacuum variant)

- 1.25m segments and nozzles (as above plus a gimballing variant)

- 2.5m segments and a nozzle (only a sea level optimized one with gimbal capabilities)

What do you think?

Is it too big a task for a complete modmaking rookie like me?

Is it worth doing or are there already mods for this and I'm just living under a rock?

Edited by Physics Student

11 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Can you allow the player to control the thrust over time the way they do in real life, by editing the cross section of the solid fuel in the tank?

That would be a nice feature but I also don't want to overcomplicate things.

How would you do it? With separate parts for different thrust curves or tweakables? I don't see how to do it without making this mod overflowing with parts or getting too stock-unfriendly. It shall be nice and easy.

Edited by Physics Student

1 minute ago, Physics Student said:

How would you do it? With separate parts for different thrust curves or tweakables?

I would go with tweakables rather than different parts, to avoid blowing up the number of parts if you want to expand the number of available cross sections.

Hmm, I expected some more resonance than this ... did I overestimate the interest for such a mod?

@HebaruSan I'm going to keep this Idea in my mind for a future project, but not for this one. It's too complicated (this is my first attempt at mod making) and I want to keep it easy and stock-alike (gameplay > realism). Still, I already have an Idea for this one, Here's how I would do it:

I would allow you to literally change the shape of the cross section in a 2D interface and the game then simulates the burn rate according to that.

I had considered doing something similar but never did get around to it - would be very interested to see what you come up with. If you do continue this I think your keep it simple is a good strategy particularly for a first mod - you can always add to it later after you get it working.

One possible reason for the lack of replies may be that this is in the Modeling and texturing sub forum - you might get more feedback one forum up in Add-on-Development.

On 6/17/2017 at 4:30 PM, Physics Student said:

What do you think?

Is it too big a task for a complete modmaking rookie like me?

Is it worth doing or are there already mods for this and I'm just living under a rock?

It's not particularly hard. I did it once just by changing the flow rules for the solid fuel resource.

But it really depends on how complex you want things to be.

On 6/18/2017 at 7:29 AM, Physics Student said:

Hmm, I expected some more resonance than this ... did I overestimate the interest for such a mod?

Don't get discouraged.  

Firstly - mod for YOU, not for US.  Download counts are NOT the measure of awesomeness around here. :)    If you have fun making it, that's a success.

Secondly - the community sees a lot of mods start but not finish so they'll get way more excited when you start posting progress!

Thirdly - Variable thrust profiles would require a plugin to be written probably, but THAT would be your killer feature that made your mod a must download!   Otherwise...  while modular SRBs are a cool idea - they don't actually create a new gameplay mechanic that is different than stacking liquid tanks over a liquid engine?   If you're WORRIED about wanting to become one of the most popular mods you're either going to need to create a new mechanic or have the most gorgeous models ever!  That said - SEE POINT ONE AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT BECOMING POPULAR!  Just do what is fun for you!  Especially on a first project.  Unless you've got a ton of blender experience...  you may not WANT to be remembered for your first mod anyway! :P  Treat it as a learning project and stepping stone!   And ask questions when you have them!

Edited by artwhaley

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.