GPU length and new GPU!? 8)

Arugela

I just had a 560ti die on me(Half die at least). I'm looking to replace it. I think with the recent event's I sadly can't get an RX580 or 570 as they are not worth the price.

I'm looking at a GTX 1060. I've seen it as low as 189$. The only issues is I'm not sure how to tell what the motherboard clearance is for my board for video cards. Is this listed anywhere in general? I'm not sure if the manual has this or not.

The card I'm looking at is: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/5656036.p?skuId=5656036

I can also get a smaller one but I wasn't sure i wanted a higher clocked one assuming the lower clock might last longer and use less electricity

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/5622835.p?skuId=5622835

I have:

Fedora 25(OS)

GA-970A-D3 ATX motherboard (Rev. 1.0)

Phenom II 1100T

2x4gb DDR3 1600mhz ram

Asus 27" 1080p monitor

hard drives

The PNY is 9.5 inches long. The EVGA is smaller form factor like my current 560 ti and I know it would fit. So, I've never had to worry about card length until now. And the PNY saves 10 dollars.

Anyone know what is best to get. I'm not sure on the difference between brands or anything. I think I noticed the EVGA is VR ready(NVM, so is PNY version) but the PNY is stated as linux / freeBSD compatible... I think the 1060 is also lower heat and energy consumption if I'm not mistaken compared to the AMD cards.

Anybody up on video cards atm?

I ideally would wait for the new vega mid ranges but sadly my card had problems and I could not wait this long.

Edit: I just noticed they are sold out. Does anyone still know what is better besides that little fact! ><

Is anything else likely to come out and drop prices more any time soon?

Edited by Arugela

7 hours ago, Arugela said:

I think I noticed the EVGA is VR ready(NVM, so is PNY version) but the PNY is stated as linux / freeBSD compatible...

You would use the same driver for both of them anyways. So compatibility is not really an issue.

The main thing you should be aware of is that the 3GB version might age much faster than the 6GB one because with the advent of 4k gaming textures are getting larger and larger.

All motherboards support all gpu in general. The issue is the case, small cases might not have room for the longest one. 
1060 is an mid range card and they tend to have few issues. 
You can generally measure this yourself, measure the length of the graphic slot. from the back of the case to the back of the end of the pci-e slot, then measure the minimum free space behind the slot 
It should be twice the distance to hold an full length card. 

Another issue is power, still not an major issue on an 1060. 
Main issue is then buying cheap brand computers as they tend to have all sort of insane solutions who waste space and restrict you.
Sitting with an case here who hold 8x3.25" disks and can handle multiple full length graphic cards 

Is there supposed to be anything coming out that might drop prices again. I heard they were trying to make cards for mining specifically and the Vega FE workstation card is coming out. Could that offload enough of the miners to drop prices. Or would it shift the cards down in price a little?

Bought a 1060 3gb. Will install later. Then I can finally work on my rockets again! ><

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/5613853.p?skuId=5613853

This was 40$ off. anyone know what it normally goes for! >< I'm assuming you can get this for the same price elsewhere. I'm not seeing it anywhere else. Did best buy have an exclusive on this card or do most people just not sell this 3gb model. Edit: it is sold by others but it is out of stock everywhere! Best buy seems to have stock still though. So if anyone needs and upgrade that is the cheapest 1060 you can find from what I've seen.

I'm assuming this should be decent since I'm still on an AM3 system with only an 1100t 6 core. It's replacing a 560 ti with only 1gb vram. I should be able to play the games I play at better graphics settings. Mostly STO(Star trek) KSP and older titles. I was playing MWO, but they just nerfed my clan mechs instead of simply increasing the other side and leaving mine where it needs to be for combat capabilities...

I dodged a bullet: http://www.amazon.in/PNY-GeForce-1060-Video-Graphics/dp/B01L9K8X26 ;p

Edited by Arugela

was just theorycrafting a new build to be thrown together in october when the state of alaska gives residents free money for no good reason what so ever. its going to be a partial rebuild, but only the case and ssds are getting reused this time. i usually use this for a big purchase like the monitor im currently using, or a computer. its been 3 years since my last build. im not even sure the thing is going to be an improvement. since im probibly going to be dropping from a i7 4790k to an i5 7600 (no bloody k). bringing with it a drop in cache, drop in ghz and none of that threadly goodness the i7 comes with. also im going to move up to 16gb ram, been running at 8gb for no fewer than 4 builds. then again its going to be the first thing on the chopping block when i run into monetary concerns. found a mini itx mobo that has everything i need, an odd coincidence when the cheap model has all the things i want. no storage no drives.

if i had any faith left in my current power supply, id avoid that "upgrade" as well. at first glance im looking at an overall decrease in tdp. 550w should cover it. the oldest stable power supply i own is a thermaltake toughpower 700w from my old core2quad rig. its been a solid backup every time need an emergency psu. im going to get the 550w model, because its enough (math will be done closer to order time). i did a rosewill last time, mostly because thats my second oldest functional power supply. the new one on the other hand didnt last 2 years. not that i trust any psu company to not let their quality slip, but what can i do. either blow a third of my budget on power or buck the problem a couple years down the road (i usually do this). also wondering if i cant mod the case to accept a smaller psu form factor, like sfx. throw in an adapter kit to the parts list. never did like the cpu cooler clerance on this thing.

absolutely the thing i need to do is upgrade the gpu. still running that 750ti, i liked it but its time to move on up. i notice that some of the video cards out there are still quite absurdly long. my case can only handle one about 8 and a quarter inches, its very petite mini itx case. i like it and i usually keep cases i like for at least a couple builds. so im looking at a 1050ti. of course im going to do more research closer to build time. looking about $700, but last time i saw priced drop over a hundred bucks below my planned target. in retrospect i should have upgraded gpu and psu last year, saving more money for cpu this year, but the state decided to put a cap on the pfd and ruin my plans.

Edited by Nuke

Are you just looking for a graphics upgrade or a performance upgrade?

If its performance, it might be better to get a new CPU....

KSP is CPU bound usually, not GPU bound.

I'm just replacing my gpu because my old one died on me. I use my hardware for along time though. I was hoping to use my current gpu for a few years more to get to see what new stuff might come out for a more future proof or interesting gpu... I was hoping vega would lead to some interesting permanent shifts in hardware design finally.

Edited by Arugela

Not yet. FE comes out in July 18th I think. I was hoping they would do a surprise release of low and mid range because of the video card buyouts. I got tired of waiting though.

Edited by Arugela

On 6/17/2017 at 8:50 PM, Arugela said:

I'm looking at a GTX 1060. I've seen it as low as 189$. The only issues is I'm not sure how to tell what the motherboard clearance is for my board for video cards. Is this listed anywhere in general? I'm not sure if the manual has this or not.

You saw a 1060 for sub $200? I looked yesterday and prices were way up, I presume as part of the Etherium mining boom.

1 hour ago, robopilot99 said:

You saw a 1060 for sub $200? I looked yesterday and prices were way up, I presume as part of the Etherium mining boom.

What's happening? I'm not filled in...
Quick google search showed an EVGA 1060 3gb for 750 USD. There was also an MSI card for 240 on prime, but I don't think it should be that high, should it?

On 6/28/2017 at 0:54 AM, qzgy said:

What's happening? I'm not filled in...
Quick google search showed an EVGA 1060 3gb for 750 USD. There was also an MSI card for 240 on prime, but I don't think it should be that high, should it?

Etherium is a new crypotocurrency that is mainly mined on GPUs. This has resulted in a great scarcity of high-end GPUs until the bubble pops. There are several threads floating around related to this topic if you want to learn more.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.