Krog's Rally Run Challenge!

9 minutes ago, N_F_X said:

@qzgy nice work dude :D

Thanks! I may have been stupid in the car design - it really drifts, more than turns. On the plus side, flipping was not an issue.

5 minutes ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

Is there an limit to length? I saw Mk3 cargo bay, so that limits height and width, but is there a limit to length?

i dont think there is, but there are some small corners in the reserach lab so there is an inofficial length limit because if you get to long you wont even be able to do the course

6 minutes ago, N_F_X said:

i dont think there is, but there are some small corners in the reserach lab so there is an inofficial length limit because if you get to long you wont even be able to do the course

And the course is just from the runway to the monolith, or is it a drive around the KSC? (On mobile, cant see pics...)

kinda like this:

monolith -----------------------------<---------------------\
                                                             Launchpad  |
                                                                                 |
                                            /-------->------\     vab    /
                                            |    sph            \            /
                                            ^          / ---->---\--->----|--->----\
                                             |         |   recruit \        ^            |   <-- trough the bridge
                                             |         |    / -->--- \        |--<-----|
                                                       \------<-----/
                                                                ^
                      do a circle around the flag and through the entrance-roof

I hope this makes sense xD

Edit: enable desktop-site or it will get distorted on the phone

Edit2: Ok, pure electric cars are actually pretty fast! I already got it down to 2:20 and thatsjust because they are so slow on the monolith straight. You can get to the launchpad in under 2 mins!

Edited by N_F_X

12 hours ago, rkarmark said:

Could you please make a elektric category? 

Sign me up for 2:04 - All Electric.  'Took 8 or 10 tries to get an accident-free run.

08TXlUN.jpg

Edited by klond

On 6/23/2017 at 9:15 AM, rkarmark said:

Could you please make a elektric category? 

The demand seems to be there, a new Electric Leaderboard is now available. All other rules still apply, lets see what you got rkarmark!

Edited by Krog34
spelling

Well, I was THIS close to getting a solid Expert Challenge run down, and with great time even but the Kraken has a plan for us all. And for me, that plan is rapid unplanned disassembly, whenever possible.

I guess this sort of beaks the "Mk3 size rule" anyways, but it was still fun to try :cool:

@Krog34 - that looks quite good for a turboshaft helicopter. @Azimech can probably give you more advice on his stock turboshaft thread, but I would say (in my limited experience) maybe to add another blade and move the engines a bit further out to the edge of the heatshield.
Link to the thread

9 hours ago, SpaceTrashCan said:

So we don't have size regulations on the expert challenge? That would open it up a lot. had a  lot of trouble getting a helictoper this small

All rules still apply, so even if I had made a flawless run, I don't think it would be fair to count it haha! Just fun to attempt!

5 hours ago, qzgy said:

@Krog34 - that looks quite good for a turboshaft helicopter. @Azimech can probably give you more advice on his stock turboshaft thread, but I would say (in my limited experience) maybe to add another blade and move the engines a bit further out to the edge of the heatshield.
Link to the thread

Thanks qzgy, I definitely took apart a lot of azimechs copters and some epicspacetroll139 choppers before I made this version. I'm rather fond of this Dual-blade rotor. It spins much slower than shorter tripple rotors which works out great because my bearing tends to splode at higher RPMs! 

2 minutes ago, Krog34 said:

All rules still apply, so even if I had made a flawless run, I don't think it would be fair to count it haha! Just fun to attempt!

Thanks qzgy, I definitely took apart a lot of azimechs copters and some epicspacetroll139 choppers before I made this version. I'm rather fond of this Dual-blade rotor. It spins much slower than shorter tripple rotors which works out great because my bearing tends to splode at higher RPMs! 

I've taken the liberty to quote this from a forum:

Typically, fully-articulated rotor systems have more than two rotor blades, but only one rotor blade is in a stall condition at any given time. In the airframe I presently fly, there are four blades so when one is in stall, three are not. Retreating blade stall manifests itself simply as a 1/4 vibration that increases in intensity as you increase the stall. So you usually really have to push it to get the aircraft to depart controlled flight.

Semirigid systems, OTOH, have only two blades. When one is in stall, only one other blade is still producing lift, and it's all on one side. So departure from controlled flight happens fairly rapidly and sometimes violently. I can attest to that from personal experience...shiner.gif

Personally I haven't tried a two-blade rotor system in my designs. I always prefer three because when testing I couldn't find an advantage when using 4, 5 or 6 blades ... and I feel with two blades ... there's something missing, yo!

7 hours ago, Azimech said:

I've taken the liberty to quote this from a forum:

Personally I haven't tried a two-blade rotor system in my designs. I always prefer three because when testing I couldn't find an advantage when using 4, 5 or 6 blades ... and I feel with two blades ... there's something missing, yo!

In my limited testing with the two-blade rotor, I've noticed a need for less SAS authority. Though I'd like to play a bit more before making any definitive statements :wink:

Meanwhile:

Still waiting to see a 771-Turbo Rocket Porsche destroy one of the leader boards, Azimech :sticktongue:

16 minutes ago, Krog34 said:

In my limited testing with the two-blade rotor, I've noticed a need for less SAS authority. Though I'd like to play a bit more before making any definitive statements :wink:

Meanwhile:

Still waiting to see a 771-Turbo Rocket Porsche destroy one of the leader boards, Azimech :sticktongue:

Ah those are way too heavy to compete with some of the lean & mean racers around here ;-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.