One wise kerbal once said, " Reach for the stars, and you will be successful." So, the KSP took it literally and decided to reach for the stars with their "amazingly awesome" spacecraft.

The Challenge: Do the Orion missions listed below

Orion Command module should be accurate and have 3 seat for stock, 5 seats for modded if possible.

Following bonuses apply to all:

Chute-O-Matic 3000 -- Have three main chutes and two drogue chutes, just like the real Orion does. * + 15 points

* If using mods, and restricted to less, please note that in your submission post. Then, I may give you an exception. If not noted, but in the aforementioned situation, you WILL NOT get the bonus

Note: You must complete previous mission to continue on to the next one.

EFT-1

Badge:

V04HBrb.png

Go into a highly eccentric orbit of Kerbin to test high speed reentry

Spoiler

Is that a Delta IV Heavy?- make the launcher a Delta IV Heavy (Delta IV-H) +15 points

Unmanned Orion + 5 points

Accurate Orbiting- Apoapsis: near 58,000,000 m Completes 2 orbits before reentry +20 points

Very Accurate Orbiting- Go into LKO first for the first orbit and then go into specified high orbit to complete one high orbit. +30 points

Stay put 'till reentry- Do not deploy solar panels or separate from  2nd stage until reentry. Stay on batteries only, no fuel cells or RTGs. +20 points

Exit if needed! - Have a partial LES with Boost Protective Cover +10 points

Exploration Mission 1

Badge:

http://imgur.com/a/PIVJx

Build an SLS Block 1 launcher and mate an Orion Spacecraft to it. Then send them to the Mun (Orbit Only).

Spoiler

Build an SLS Block 1 ((Core, 4 RS-25 Engines, easily simulated by Vectors. 2 SRBs) and (2nd Stage based on Delta IV Heavy 2nd Stage.)) And an Orion spacecraft that looks similar to the real one.(Required) + 25 points

KubeSats! - Launch cheap cubesats with at least 1 science instrument per cubesat +5 points per cubesat (Maximum : 13 Kubesats)

Kill a kerbal! -20 points

Free Returns! - Launch the mission on a Munar free return trajectory + 15 points

Splashies!! - Splash down in the ocean to conclude the mission + 10 points, +20 points if ocean is that one west of KSC continent, east of the desert.(noncumulative)

Solar Backup - Have enough battery power to complete the mission purely on batteries if needed. +15 points

Solar 4 - Have 4 solar panels on the Orion MPCV +5 points

Unmanned Orion + 10 points

Abort, Abort! - Have an LES + 5 points

Europa Clipper

Build the SLS Block 1B Cargo and launch a probe to fly-by Laythe multiple times.

Spoiler

Build an SLS Block 1B  Cargo(Same core stage as block 1, but 4-engine(use LV-T45s as the engines for the EUS)EUS upper stage) + 25 points (REQUIRED)

Fly-bye!-Make at least 5 fly-bys of Laythe, +15 points, 1 additional point for each additional fly-by, max 45

Ore scanner!-Have an ore scanner on board + 5 points

Photographer- (Needs Fly-bye!) Take at least 5 screenshots per fly-by and post them in an album in your mission post. + 15 points, only needed for first 5 fly-bys

Power-crazy-Have both an RTG and solar panels + 10 points

Science!!!-Have at least 4 scientific instruments on the main probe + 20 points

Probe Extravaganza!-Have 4 ion-powered cubesats and one probe to make a close fly-by of Laythe's atmosphere + 100 points

Early Concepts-Have a small lander come with the probe on the same launcher and land on Laythe's surface (Land, not ocean, you may use Trajectories mod for this.) + 50 points

LaytheDIRECT!-Go to Laythe directly without other planets' assists + 15 points

Later Concepts-Have the small lander launch seperately and land on Laythe(Land, not ocean, you may use Trajectories mod for this.)(You may use any launch vehicle) + 25 points

Early plan-Have the spacecraft reach Laythe with an Eve and Kerbin assist, launched by any other LV (specifically an Atlas V 551) + 10 points

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Deep Space Gateway (DSG)

Mission Objective:

Assemble a ship to go to Duna using the SLS in elliptical polar Munar orbit with AP above Munar south pole. Also, develop the SLS Block 2 Cargo and Block 1B Crew.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MISSION OBJECTIVE (REQUIRED) +50 points

PHASE 1

EM-2 to EM-5

Spoiler

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OBJECTIVES APPLY TO ALL MISSIONS IN PHASE 1

Free Returns! - Launch the mission on a Munar free return trajectory(EM-2 Only) + 15 points

Splashies!! - Splash down in the ocean to conclude the mission + 10 points, +20 points if ocean is that one west of KSC continent, east of the desert.(noncumulative)

Solar Backup - Have enough battery power to complete the mission purely on batteries if needed. +15 points

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MISSION SPECIFIC MISSION OBJECTIVES

EM-2: Launch an SLS Block 1B Crew with the DSG Power and Propulsion Module and put it into a Cismunar Near Rectilinear Halo Orbit(DO NOT DOCK THE ORION TO THE SHIP!!!) Station part needs 2 docking ports, one at the front and one at the back.(Station part needs solar panels and ion engines.)

EM-3:  Launch an SLS Block 1B Crew with the DSG Habitation module with space for 4 kerbals and dock the station segment to the power&propulsion module's front DP and Orion to HAB's front docking port(HAB has front, back, top, and bottom DPs, DP orientation is when spacecraft is horizontal, deploy SPs and then bring Orion home after the crew "tours" the DSG.)

EM-4:  Launch an SLS Block 1B Crew with the DSG Logistics module, which has only one docking port(on the bottom) and dock the module to the top DP of the HAB, same procedures with Orion as in previous mission.

EM-5: Launch an SLS Block 1B Crew with the DSG Airlock module, which should have 2 docking ports(front and back) and have a crew hatch and crew capacity of at least 1, but no Kerbals living in it. Dock Orion to the HAB's bottom docking port. Dock Airlock to HAB's front docking port, DO NOT RETURN THE ORION TO KERBIN!

PHASE 2: EM-6 to Duna mission

Spoiler

OBJECTIVES APPLY TO ALL MISSIONS IN PHASE 1

Free Returns! - Launch the mission on a Munar free return trajectory(EM-2 Only) + 15 points

MISSION SPECIFIC MISSION OBJECTIVES

EM-6: Launch an SLS Block 1B Cargo with an empty Duna mothership onboard, which must have capacity for 12 kerbals and have space to install things with KIS/KAS, which are required unless you figure out how to dock stuff in your cargo space. Dock it to the available docking port of the airlock, fuel will come on later missions. Send the Orion spacecraft already at the station home.

EM-7: Launch an SLS Block 1B Crew with logistics for the DST to the DSG. Dock Orion to the HAB's bottom docking port. Place logistics in the DST's cargo space.

ATTENTION: FOR FURTHER MISSIONS IN DSG PHASE 2, PLEASE REFER TO THE POST BY @sevenperforce HERE

More Missions Coming!

Edited by Bottle Rocketeer 500
added parachute bonus

All right, here's my submission for EM1.

Scoring:

• Build an SLS Block 1 +25
  • KubeSats! (at least 1 science instrument per cubesat, +5 points per): +65
  • Free Returns! +15
  • Splashies! (+20 points if ocean is west of KSC, east of desert) ! +20
  • Solar Backup +15
  • Solar 4 +5
  • Unmanned Orion +10
  • Abort, Abort! +5

Total: 160 points!

You could get more points if you just spammed it with, like, 400 kubesats, but that wouldn't be very nice. On that note, you should probably limit cubesat count.

This was fun!

17 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@sevenperforce Can you please complete EFT-1, as per an update of the challenge rules?

BTW, very nice mission.

Thanks, and sorry I didn't see the update to the challenge rules. 

Here's EFT-1, as requested:

Spoiler

screenshot0.png

Much less use of Tweakscale for this one. I did, however, remove a lot of the fuel from the core and boosters; when I launched with a full propellant load, I was already in orbit before my core stage burned out.

screenshot02.png

Firing up the engines.

screenshot03.png

Clamp release, liftoff!

screenshot04.png

Now that we're supersonic, I'm throttling down the core engine to save propellant.

screenshot05.png

Approaching booster burnout. Compare to this.

screenshot06.png

Stage separation!

screenshot07.png

Now safely above the majority of the atmosphere, I jettison the fairing and the LES. The Delta IV Heavy clone is honestly way overpowered for Kerbin; even though I didn't use a full fuel load, it was still nearly orbital.

screenshot08.png

MECO on the core stage with quite a bit of remaining fuel, just to avoid orbiting the core.

screenshot10.png

Separation and US ignition.

screenshot11.png

Burning into orbit.

screenshot13.png

Orbit achieved.

screenshot15.png

Good shot of the upper stage here. Compare to this. Setting hibernation to auto so I don't run out of battery.

screenshot16.png

Made one full orbit.

screenshot18.png

Kicked on the engine right as I'm coming back over KSC; compare to this.

screenshot19.png

Halfway through the burn.

screenshot20.png

Setting my thrust limiter really really low so I can finely adjust the apoapse.

screenshot21.png

And I've got my apoapse! It's hard to get more precise than that.

At this point, I set a full warp with auto-hibernate and whipped all the way around.

screenshot23.png

Came back in; preparing for the deorbit burn.

screenshot24.png

Deorbit burn complete! I think this will be just enough to ensure entry.

screenshot25.png

Decoupling from the whole stack, even though I could have done it piecemeal.

screenshot27.png

Amusingly, the upper stage stays pretty close for quite a while. I guess they had similar drag and density characteristics.

screenshot29.png

KSC visible in the background. This was a very long entry.

screenshot31.png

Down to safe speed to pop the drogues.

screenshot32.png

Popping the mains.

screenshot33.png

Drogues cut; final descent.

screenshot34.png

Almost down...

screenshot35.png

Splashdown!

screenshot36.png

58,000,040 meters. Nice.

Got all 100 points.

1 minute ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@HiThere!2 Yes, but the same scoring applies-no extra points for doing it in RO, though it is much harder. I can't even get into orbit in RO/RSS.

Also, if you use RO, you also have to use RSS.

Yeah, no problem. I love RSS. Should have my submission before the end of the Month.

Although, I do have pretty much all the parts I need laid out, all I need to do is put them together. So should I not use those parts?

Edited by HiThere!2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.