On 6/18/2017 at 8:13 AM, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

Europa Clipper

Build the SLS Block 1B and launch a probe to fly-by Laythe multiple times.

Hide contents

Build an SLS Block 1B (Same core stage as block 1, but 4-engine(use LV-T45s as the engines for the EUS)EUS upper stage) + 25 points (REQUIRED)

Fly-bye!-Make at least 5 fly-bys of Laythe + 15 points

Ore scanner!-Have an ore scanner on board + 5 points

Photographer- (Needs Fly-bye!) Take at least 5 screenshots per fly-by and post them in an album in your mission post. + 15 points

Power-crazy-Have both an RTG and solar panels + 10 points

Science!!!-Have at least 4 scientific instruments on the main probe + 20 points

Probe Extravaganza!-Have 4 ion-powered cubesats and one probe to make a close fly-by of Laythe's atmosphere + 100 points

Early Concepts-Have a small lander come with the probe on the same launcher and land on Laythe's surface (Land, not ocean, you may use Trajectories mod for this.) + 50 points

LaytheDIRECT!-Go to Laythe directly without other planets' assists + 15 points

Later Concepts-Have the small lander launch seperately and land on Laythe(Land, not ocean, you may use Trajectories mod for this.) + 25 points

Early plan-Have the spacecraft reach Laythe with an Eve and Kerbin assist, launched by any other LV (specifically an Atlas V 551) + 10 points

I'm excited! This will be my first time going to the Jool system.

A few questions:

• Are we required to use LV-T45s for the EUS, or is the requirement merely to use four engines? I'd like flexibility with what engines I put on the EUS.
  • Is a fly-by defined as entry into the Laythe SOI?
  • The real Europa Clipper mission will conduct 45 fly-bys of Europa. I see an opportunity for additional points here; can it be "at least 5 fly-bys, 15 points, 1 additional point for each additional fly-by, max 45"? You'd also want to add that the photography element is only required for the first five flybys, as you'd otherwise end up with rather oversized albums.
  • I will use the Early Concepts for extra points, but can you elaborate on the Later Concepts element for other people? Is there a launch vehicle requirement?

1 minute ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@sevenperforce

1. Yes, you are required to use LV-T45s for the EUS, as they are the most realistic choice of engine for it in stock.

If you go back to my last two missions, you'll note that I made careful use of Tweakscale to get more realism at quite a few levels. The RL10s on the EUS are going to push upwards of 450 seconds of isp; I'd rather use a tweakscaled Rhino for the better ISP and more similar appearance. Is this okay?

Another thought -- you can do additional requirements for the lander, like battery-only.

Here's Part 1 of my entry:

So far:

• Build an SLS Block 1B + 25 points
  • Ore scanner! + 5 points
  • Power-crazy + 10 points
  • Science!!! + 20 points
  • Probe Extravaganza! + 100 points
  • Early Concepts (partially completed) + 50 points

Looking forward to the Jool departure and the rest of the mission!

EDIT: Is there a reason you did Laythe rather than Vall? Vall is more similar to Europa...

Edited by sevenperforce

And here you go, mission concluded! Not bad for my first time to Jool.

Scoring:

• Build an SLS Block 1B +25
  • Fly-bye! +16
  • Ore scanner! +5
  • Photographer +15
  • Power-crazy +10
  • Science!!! +20
  • Probe Extravaganza! +100
  • Early Concepts +50
  • LaytheDIRECT! +15

By my count, that's 256 points! And I didn't even need to use the Trajectories mod.

I'm Done!

Go into a highly eccentric orbit of Kerbin to test high speed reentry

Total Score:

Is that a Delta IV Heavy?- make the launcher a Delta 4 heavy +15 points

Unmanned Orion + 5 points

Accurate Orbiting- Apoapsis: near 5,800,000 m Completes 2 orbits before reentry +20 points

Very Accurate Orbiting- Go into LKO first for the first orbit and then go into specified high orbit to complete one high orbit. +30 points

Stay put 'till reentry- Do not deploy solar panels or separate from  2nd stage until reentry. Stay on batteries only, no fuel cells or RTGs. +20 points

Exit if needed! - Have a partial LES with Boost Protective Cover +10 points

Score equals: 100 points exactly.

Some pictures taken along the way:

On 6/18/2017 at 5:13 AM, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:
Spoiler

Build an SLS Block 1B (Same core stage as block 1, but 4-engine(use LV-T45s as the engines for the EUS)EUS upper stage) + 25 points (REQUIRED)

Fly-bye!-Make at least 5 fly-bys of Laythe, +15 points, 1 additional point for each additional fly-by, max 45

Ore scanner!-Have an ore scanner on board + 5 points

Photographer- (Needs Fly-bye!) Take at least 5 screenshots per fly-by and post them in an album in your mission post. + 15 points, only needed for first 5 fly-bys

Power-crazy-Have both an RTG and solar panels + 10 points

Science!!!-Have at least 4 scientific instruments on the main probe + 20 points

Probe Extravaganza!-Have 4 ion-powered cubesats and one probe to make a close fly-by of Laythe's atmosphere + 100 points

Early Concepts-Have a small lander come with the probe on the same launcher and land on Laythe's surface (Land, not ocean, you may use Trajectories mod for this.) + 50 points

LaytheDIRECT!-Go to Laythe directly without other planets' assists + 15 points

Later Concepts-Have the small lander launch seperately and land on Laythe(Land, not ocean, you may use Trajectories mod for this.)(You may use any launch vehicle) + 25 points

Early plan-Have the spacecraft reach Laythe with an Eve and Kerbin assist, launched by any other LV (specifically an Atlas V 551) + 10 points

On Europa in RSS there's no atmosphere or ocean, how close a pass do I need to make when I do this mission?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.