On 7/31/2017 at 2:12 PM, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:
On 7/31/2017 at 2:10 PM, HiThere!2 said:

The Service Module won't have enough fuel when launching on an SLS Block 1 to capture and have enough margin to return for NASA to allow that to happen.

Can you please give evidence of that?

EM-1 was originally planned as a free-return when there was a chance they'd be flying it with crew, but since they are flying it unmanned, they'll be tightening the free-return and doing a retrograde orbit instead.

On 6/18/2017 at 8:13 AM, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

EM-6: Launch an SLS Block 1B Cargo with an empty Duna mothership onboard, which must have capacity for 12 kerbals and have space to install things with KIS/KAS, which are required unless you figure out how to dock stuff in your cargo space. Dock it to the available docking port of the airlock, fuel will come on later missions. Send the Orion spacecraft already at the station home.

EM-7: Launch an SLS Block 1B Crew with logistics for the DST to the DSG. Dock Orion to the HAB's bottom docking port. Place logistics in the DST's cargo space.

Please provide some additional details/requirements for the Duna Mothership and the DST Logistics. I don't use mods (other than Tweakscale) so I don't have KIS/KAS. I can certainly use a cargo bay with docking ports, though. What does the Duna Mothership need? Is it intended to work as a cycler? Will it aerobrake or capture burn? What does the logistics module need? Does it need engines or is it the hab only?

On 8/8/2017 at 2:57 PM, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

Logistics can be represented in stock with science experiments or any other "goods", like batteries for example. The mothership can be anything you want it to be as long as it gets to Duna and back using chemical propulsion and can fit on an SLS Block 1B Cargo without fuel.

"Getting to Duna and back" doesn't quite do it for me. Getting to Duna orbit and back? Getting to Duna's surface and back? Is it just the propulsion module or does it need living space, logistics ports, etc.? If it is only intended to go to Duna orbit and back, does it need to carry a place for a separate lander?

If I may offer a suggestion...

The planned Deep Space Gateway will feature chemical propulsion, solar-electric propulsion, a very large solar array, and a large living space for the astronauts. It will have a forward docking port capable of docking to the DSG and it will have small side docking ports for refueling. It will be capable of getting to Mars, capturing into orbit without aerobraking, and returning to the Moon in like fashion; it will not have enough dV to carry any other payload. 

Here's an older description, with photos, of how it might go.

Here's a more recent one: https://www.pressreader.com/south-africa/popular-mechanics-south-africa/20170701/281612420400456

Edited by sevenperforce

42 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@sevenperforce Duna orbit and back, contains a lander, send DAV and HAB before the transfer. Everything, engines, logistics ports, empty fuel tanks, habitat(s).

So the Deep Space Transport needs to include a Duna lander, and we're going to send a Duna Ascent Vehicle and a Duna Habitation Module to Duna separately? Or the Deep Space Transport needs to be able to mate to (and transport) a Duna lander that will be sent to the DSG separately?

On 8/13/2017 at 5:13 AM, Abpilot said:

parts in stock ksp are perfect for this challenge plus i part clipped 3 cockpits together to get the moddable 7 i dont have any photos because i dont no how to sceenshot -\_(")_/-

If you're on Windows, use F1 to screenshot, then go to your KSP source folder where they are stored. 

images of flybys

rz3D5Ol.png

4wrhXQA.png

sadly after flyby 2 laythe affected the orbit of the laythe clipper and it gone to jool's atmosfere, and after a second pass it destroyed due to overheat and high pressure

the orion also has been redesigned but i won't be doing much for a while, because i want to make at least 3 of my mun missions before starting the dsg

also my duna landers are a mk1-2 cm with 3 parachutes, 4 landing lengs, and a docking port on the front, also the ascent modules, that are something for 3 kerbals

Edited by Spaceman17

6 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

If you're on Windows, use F1 to screenshot, then go to your KSP source folder where they are stored. 

THX

Plus there's a texture mod for rockomax parts to make a exact replica of SLS Orion would that count as modded?

@Bottle Rocketeer 500

Can you clue me in on later missions so I have an idea about what to include with logistics? Are the Kerbonauts going to be doing a Mars flyby? An Ike landing? Are they going straight to the Big Landing? I can send up some cubesats or relays or even an Ike ISRU rig; it all depends on what the mission sequence looks like.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.