Scott Manley reference while loading?

PaperAviator

1 hour ago, PaperAviator said:

This is a short one. . . 

I was loading up Kerbal today when I noticed that one of the loading hints was "Flying safe". I don't have a screenshot to go with it, but do you think that it was a deliberate reference to Scott?

Probably. Keep in mind that any mod can add loading tips so it could be non-Squad originating.

33 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Keep in mind that any mod can add loading tips so it could be non-Squad originating.

It's stock. Look it up in GameData/Squad/Localization/dictionary.cfg, line 7856:

#autoLOC_7001131 = Flying Safe...

5 hours ago, Ohm is Futile said:

"Fly safe" is a very common thing to say in Eve online, which Scott has played.

Confirming. If anything, it's a Scott Manley reference to an EVE Online saying. Granted, Scott largely brought it to this community, but those of us who've played EVE Online know it from that community.

Edited by regex

26 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Totally coincidental...  no, really!

Edit: I need a way to add a kerbal graphic with rolling eyes...  :wink:

:rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, regex said:

Confirming. If anything, it's a Scott Manley reference to an EVE Online saying. Granted, Scott largely brought it to this community, but those of us who've played EVE Online know it from that community.

Doesn't it hail from further back than that?  I think the EVE community got it from some intro text or npc dialogue from one of the Elite games.  Not sure if 1, 2, or oolite, though.

26 minutes ago, Archgeek said:

Doesn't it hail from further back than that?  I think the EVE community got it from some intro text or npc dialogue from one of the Elite games.  Not sure if 1, 2, or oolite, though.

Probably.

• 2 weeks later...

'Fly safe' is commonly used in games that feature stuff that flies.

I used to encounter it in ogame (an old-style browser game about space-ships) a couple of years ago. Might have been ported there from EVE as well, I don't know.

Regardless of what others say; to me, when I hear the words "fly" and "safe" used in consecutive order, I will always have fond memories of the adventures and things I've learned from a certain amazing bald headed man (and his little family too).

Edited by ZooNamedGames

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.