What's the best fighter jet in your opinion  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Best fighter

• F-4
    • F-14
    • F-15
    • F-16
    • F-22
    • F-35 (don't expect many to pick this option :/)
    • Other (post in thread)
    • F-89 Scorpion

On 7/14/2017 at 6:34 PM, memes in space said:

i mean the fact you're calling the f-35 the best at anything is kind of sad.

:huh: I think it's sad that some one can have so little faith in technology. Lockheed is still working out the kinks with the F-35. 

11 minutes ago, memes in space said:

Also the F/A-18 is boeing so that's another reason why it sucks

Actually,  it was originally designed by McDonald Douglas,  but I get the point. Boeing + Fighter planes = ugly airplanes. Just look at the X-32!

Not seeing too much of a point in comparing a small sample of 3rd thru 6th generation US jets? 

My write-in vote is the next 8th generation fighter that doesn't need a pilot and can transform into a robot...

On 7/16/2017 at 2:27 PM, The Dunatian said:

:huh: I think it's sad that some one can have so little faith in technology. Lockheed is still working out the kinks with the F-35. 

Heheheheh, and that will take a LOOONGGG time. :sticktongue:

3 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

The lack of Russian jets in that poll bothers me

SU-35_02-600x400.jpg

I agree. The SU-35 and SU-27 are great planes. 

On 7/17/2017 at 2:39 PM, memes in space said:

Also the F/A-18 is boeing so that's another reason why it sucks

HOW DARE YOU!! The F/A-18 is one of the most popular fighter aircraft of the past 2 decades! And Boeing does not "suck."  Commercially, they built the 737, which was is a great plane. Besides that, they built:

1. The V-22 Osprey. (Okay, so maybe that one kinda maybe did suck)
  2. The F22 raptor, (A very successful plane, mind you)
  3. The Apache helicopter, 
  4. The F-15,
  5. the 'friggin B-17, (Which had a very nice reputation for coming home half exploded)
  6. The B-29, (Which dropped the Gosh darn ATOM bomb,
  7. The B-52, a VERY nice bomber, (which is still being used)
  8. The VC-137/707, (The first Jet Air Force one)
  9. the CH-47 Chinook, 
  10. The KC-135 stratotanker, (I have a friend who was a pilot on that plane, and really enjoyed it)
  11. THE FREAKING SATURN V!!!! (Well, most of it. *heh* heh*)
  12. The 747, (which is the MOST successful airliner in the WORLD, with a VERY clean service record)
  13. The E-3 sentry,
  14. The B-1 lancer,
  15. The 737, (Which is another, maybe first most popular airliner in the world)
  16. Space Shuttle DISCOVERY,
  17. and VC-25. (AF1)
  18. They also built the X-45, the first operational carrier-based drone,
  19. and the KC-10 tanker. 

Btw, my Father worked at Lockheed for a short time, so if you dare insult them.... :mad:

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

2 hours ago, razark said:

To be fair, a number of items on that list only became Boeing products due to mergers.

Does that make the P-51 a Boeing plane as well? I don't think that's how it works...

Rockwell International sold what was once North American Aviation to Boeing in 1996, according to Wikipedia.... By that time the last orbiter was finished and flying for years.

4 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Does that make the P-51 a Boeing plane as well?

According to that list.

5 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

I don't think that's how it works...

Which I agree with.

But if you're going to point out the Orbiters as Rockwell, to be fair, you also have the B-1 from Rockwell, the Apache from Hughes (and then McDonnell Douglas), Lockheed Martin gets credit for the F-22, McDonnell Douglas gets the F-15 and KC-10, and Boeing only gets one stage of the Saturn V, since North American and Douglas also built stages.

21 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Uh, Rockwell International built the space shuttle orbiters...

I know. I wanted to see if anyone caught that. :sticktongue:

On 6/19/2017 at 6:17 PM, Joseph Kerman said:

I have high hopes for the F-35. Had Lockheed Martin did proper R&D, all 3 F-35 variants will be here 7 years earlier. Even then, they craft is still the most advanced fighter, next to the F-22.

The SU-27 would still beat it in a dogfight tho.

On 6/19/2017 at 7:17 PM, Joseph Kerman said:

I have high hopes for the F-35. Had Lockheed Martin did proper R&D, all 3 F-35 variants will be here 7 years earlier. Even then, they craft is still the most advanced fighter, next to the F-22.

Literally no analog instruments and control surfaces are electric instead of hydraulic

One hit that damages the aircraft's electric system and the aircraft is unflyable

3 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

Literally no analog instruments and control surfaces are electric instead of hydraulic

One hit that damages the aircraft's electric system and the aircraft is unflyable

Fly by wire could lead to similar issues... And plenty of aircraft have that. 

Edited by Bill Phil

The Avro CF-105 Arrow. For it's time in 1958, it was the world's most advanced fighter jet that was not made by either Cold War superpower. Even the USAF had interest in acquiring some Avro Arrows. It was originally designed for the Royal Canadian Air Force to intercept and destroy incoming Soviet bombers flying over the North Pole. Unfortunately the project was canned on Feb 20. 1959 when Prime Minister John Diefenbaker's government ruled that the Arrow has no place in the burgeoning age of nuclear missiles, which was a sad day for the Canadian aerospace industry as many of the Avro Canada workers went on to work with Boeing, Lockheed, and even NASA to work on the spacecraft used for the Gemini and Apollo programs. 

999728_orig.jpg 

Edited by TomSawyer2112

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.