What's the best fighter jet in your opinion  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Best fighter

• F-4
    • F-14
    • F-15
    • F-16
    • F-22
    • F-35 (don't expect many to pick this option :/)
    • Other (post in thread)
    • F-89 Scorpion

The F-35 is going through so many problems because it's a fighter that has to be used by different branches of the military and they want it to last a very long time. Meaning it has to be bleeding edge technology. Which means that the development will be riddled with problems. 

But if I had to pick one, I'd say... huh. Most are kind of weird. I'm fond of the old ones. My grandfather flew Scorpions, I think...

19 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

The F-35 is going through so many problems because it's a fighter that has to be used by different branches of the military and they want it to last a very long time. Meaning it has to be bleeding edge technology. Which means that the development will be riddled with problems. 

But if I had to pick one, I'd say... huh. Most are kind of weird. I'm fond of the old ones. My grandfather flew Scorpions, I think...

Yeah no I knew nobody would pick it, it's not a good plane.

Also all the people complaining about Russia, name a fighter or I can't help you. Also, the fighters I listed are used in other countries. Australia, South Korea, The Middle East (I know it's not one country, before you start whining), etc.

3 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

I have high hopes for the F-35. Had Lockheed Martin did proper R&D, all 3 F-35 variants will be here 7 years earlier. Even then, they craft is still the most advanced fighter, next to the F-22.

12 minutes ago, Joseph Kerman said:

I have high hopes for the F-35. Had Lockheed Martin did proper R&D, all 3 F-35 variants will be here 7 years earlier. Even then, they craft is still the most advanced fighter, next to the F-22.

It's GOING to be a good plane.  But it is more than a fighter, and you said fighter.

If you are including all active jets, then you left out several very significant planes.  For example, the A-10 Warthog .  Best ground attack jet, period.  The B1, F117, B52, B2, etc.  All jets, all great at what they were designed for.

But. You need to define the question.  Best at what?

The F-35 is a multi-purpose jet it's more than a fighter it's a fighter it's Interceptor it's a bomber it's a ground attack playing the trying to do so much with it and it's intended to replace all of the above listed planes except the dedicated bombers

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Look up kill loss ratios for jet aircraft. Pick F-14. Case closed. Opinion doesn't matter, results do.

Oops, I mixed up the F-15s in the list, F-15 wins.

Edited by tater

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Umm, F15, I think has had zero losses?

Oh, you're right. My list had them broken into different versions and the E had some ground fire losses. My bad!

21 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Take a look at Shotcut. It's FOSS, and while not perfect, it allows you to produce what you want, the way you want it, with plenty of options for in/output and effects. 

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:21 AM, MiffedStarfish said:

First of all, I would like to credit @Azimech for the inspiration to build helicopters, and luigijitsu 1 whose rotor shaft design I built and modified off his tutorial. Thanks!

Yesterday I was thinking about a book on helicopters in vietnam I'd read, and this gave me an idea for a challenge that I'm working on right now. I needed some form of VTOL transport as a sort of "stock" vehicle for the challenge, and though I had LOADS of jets lying around, I had just read azimech's incredible Titan helicopters post, and the challenge would be styled like a military mission and would be generally cooler with helicopters. I downloaded azimech's Selene, and after skim reading the manual, I eventually managed to get it of the ground. However, I found it incredibly hard to control, especially without my joystick. I wanted a simple, stock helicopter for my challenge, and though it was a kerbal engineering marvel, it just wouldn't fit the challenge. (Also using someone else's craft for my challenge didn't seem right) 2 hours and more testing than I had ever done on a craft,enter the Extraction helicopter:

zcYWJ9p.jpg

9vG4wYK.jpg

It has a simple startup routine:

1: DO NOT TURN ON SAS. Control your primal instincts. :) Stage once and THEN turn on SAS.

2: switch to the rotors and hold down Ctrl E. (if you don't hold down Ctrl it doesn't work) after around 5 seconds you will see the main body rise slightly of the ground. Hold for another 3 seconds and then let go and switch back to the main craft. 

3: You are flying! Helicopters are very different from conventional VTOLs though, so don't try to fly under the KSC bridges just yet. You will crash ALOT the first few flights, (unless you've flown ksp choppers before) but after getting a feel for the craft you will be doing extraction missions under fire all the time. :) SAS slows and eventually stops the rotors, so hover quite close to the ground, switch to the rotors and turn it on to land. To take of again just turn it back off.

Action groups:

1: toggle forward jet

2: toggle ladder

Stage: fire missiles

Depending on how long you kept the rotor spinning, you can nearly perfectly hover by holding down B. To fully change elevation you must switch to the rotors and by tapping F. 

The missiles are incredibly weak due to trying to keep weight down, though they will probably destroy wing plates.

Nq9VnVR.jpg

Through testing I have found that the rotor is 100% reliable if you don't do anything to silly with it.

XBiqlP5.jpg

"Come back!"

Don't come down to hard on landing though, as the tail can catch on the ground and occasionally the battery holding the rotor  in place can be destroyed.

Parts: 90

Mass: 7.77 tons

Crew: 1

Delta-V: Infinity and beyond! But only in atmo.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jiyhgdu65b6c6z/Extraction helicopter.craft?dl=0

Feel free to use this in anything as long as you give me credit.

Enjoy!

21 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Take a look at Shotcut. It's FOSS, and while not perfect, it allows you to produce what you want, the way you want it, with plenty of options for in/output and effects. 

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:21 AM, MiffedStarfish said:

First of all, I would like to credit @Azimech for the inspiration to build helicopters, and luigijitsu 1 whose rotor shaft design I built and modified off his tutorial. Thanks!

Yesterday I was thinking about a book on helicopters in vietnam I'd read, and this gave me an idea for a challenge that I'm working on right now. I needed some form of VTOL transport as a sort of "stock" vehicle for the challenge, and though I had LOADS of jets lying around, I had just read azimech's incredible Titan helicopters post, and the challenge would be styled like a military mission and would be generally cooler with helicopters. I downloaded azimech's Selene, and after skim reading the manual, I eventually managed to get it of the ground. However, I found it incredibly hard to control, especially without my joystick. I wanted a simple, stock helicopter for my challenge, and though it was a kerbal engineering marvel, it just wouldn't fit the challenge. (Also using someone else's craft for my challenge didn't seem right) 2 hours and more testing than I had ever done on a craft,enter the Extraction helicopter:

zcYWJ9p.jpg

9vG4wYK.jpg

It has a simple startup routine:

1: DO NOT TURN ON SAS. Control your primal instincts. :) Stage once and THEN turn on SAS.

2: switch to the rotors and hold down Ctrl E. (if you don't hold down Ctrl it doesn't work) after around 5 seconds you will see the main body rise slightly of the ground. Hold for another 3 seconds and then let go and switch back to the main craft. 

3: You are flying! Helicopters are very different from conventional VTOLs though, so don't try to fly under the KSC bridges just yet. You will crash ALOT the first few flights, (unless you've flown ksp choppers before) but after getting a feel for the craft you will be doing extraction missions under fire all the time. :) SAS slows and eventually stops the rotors, so hover quite close to the ground, switch to the rotors and turn it on to land. To take of again just turn it back off.

Action groups:

1: toggle forward jet

2: toggle ladder

Stage: fire missiles

Depending on how long you kept the rotor spinning, you can nearly perfectly hover by holding down B. To fully change elevation you must switch to the rotors and by tapping F. 

The missiles are incredibly weak due to trying to keep weight down, though they will probably destroy wing plates.

Nq9VnVR.jpg

Through testing I have found that the rotor is 100% reliable if you don't do anything to silly with it.

XBiqlP5.jpg

"Come back!"

Don't come down to hard on landing though, as the tail can catch on the ground and occasionally the battery holding the rotor  in place can be destroyed.

Parts: 90

Mass: 7.77 tons

Crew: 1

Delta-V: Infinity and beyond! But only in atmo.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jiyhgdu65b6c6z/Extraction helicopter.craft?dl=0

Feel free to use this in anything as long as you give me credit.

Enjoy!

I would like to throw my opinion in about the F-35. For me, its a plane thats trying to be everything. The F-22 was made for one thing: going fast and shooting other planes down. With the F-35, they are trying to make it be able to do that, drop bombs, have STAL capability... In my opinion, leave the bombing to the bombers, the intercepting to the intercepters, and the strafing to the strafers. Dont try to design a plane to do all of them, because as we have found out, it will be able to do all of them ok, but not nearly as good as spacified planes. 

56 minutes ago, FokkerAce said:

I`m going YF-12... I know it was never in combat, but c`mon, a mach 4 fighter?! nothing can beat it!

Shocked.
Its sibling, SR-71 is known for no missile can charge him.
How YF-12 could shoot then, when it flies 2..3 times faster than its shells and rockets, and any shot from it would be like a throwing of hand grenade backwards?

1 hour ago, FokkerAce said:

I`m going YF-12... I know it was never in combat, but c`mon, a mach 4 fighter?! nothing can beat it!raw0oaN.jpg

Not a fighter, it was a CIA spy plane.  Unarmed. And about Mack 2.3 or so, not 4

Edited by linuxgurugamer

You guys are obviously all wrong. The best fighter plane ever was the MiG-21.

mig21.jpg

Sure, it could not beat the F-22 in BVR or intercept an SR-71, but it's cheap, sturdy, repairable and made for eternity.

Sometimes just showing up wins the battle, and with its low maintanenca and flight costs and over 12.000 units produced, the MiG-21 did a lot more showing up than the 195 units of overpriced F-22's :wink: 

Which reminds me, @memes in space why does this poll only have options for American Fighter Jets? There's a plethora of Russian, British, French and Italian Jets too that deserve a mention.

Edited by Kobymaru

15 hours ago, memes in space said:

Also all the people complaining about Russia, name a fighter or I can't help you.

MiG-15, MiG-21, Su-24 were the old classics,

MiG-29, Su-27 and their Modernized versions (like Su-35, MiG-35) are very good machines capable of taking on their western adversaries. Also, if we're counting the F-35, we might as well count the PAK-FA (T-50), no?

And while we're at it, where's the Mirage-2000, where's the Saab-Gripen, where's the Harrier, where's the Tornado, where's the Eurofighter?

15 hours ago, memes in space said:

Also, the fighters I listed are used in other countries. Australia, South Korea, The Middle East (I know it's not one country, before you start whining), etc.

And? Russian planes are used all over the world, so are french. But you still listed only american, and I think that's due to america-centric thinking which is quite common over there :wink:

Edited by Kobymaru

28 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

You guys are obviously all wrong. The best fighter plane ever was the MiG-21.

mig21.jpg

Sure, it could not beat the F-22 in BVR or intercept an SR-71, but it's cheap, sturdy, repairable and made for eternity.

Sometimes just showing up wins the battle, and with its low maintanenca and flight costs and over 12.000 units produced, the MiG-21 did a lot more showing up than the 195 units of overpriced F-22's :wink: 

Which reminds me, @memes in space why does this poll only have options for American Fighter Jets? There's a plethora of Russian, British, French and Italian Jets too that deserve a mention.

I live in America. The Other option is there for a reason, I obviously couldn't list em all. Anyways, looks cool

36 minutes ago, Parv Kerman said:

I like F-22 Raptor!

Yeaaaaa, you know what's up.

3 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Edit: I personally am a fan of the F-18, its carrier capable, and practical for its capabilities unlike the F-22. (cost wise)

u wot m8

4 hours ago, FokkerAce said:

I`m going YF-12... I know it was never in combat, but c`mon, a mach 4 fighter?! nothing can beat it!raw0oaN.jpg

The YF-12 is literally a modified the predecessor to the SR-71 blackbird. Did you even read the first post? But yeah the YF-12 is awesome, just not a fighter jet.

Edited by memes in space
I dun goofed

13 minutes ago, memes in space said:

I live in America. The Other option is there for a reason, I obviously couldn't list em all.

Still kinda hilarious how the major portion of fighter plane diversity goes into "other" :wink: and how you guys divide the world in to "america and not america". Cuz let me tell you, people in other countries don't do that.

Edited by Kobymaru

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.