Helicopter Altitude Record

This one is pretty simple. Build a craft which can only gain altitude by aerodynamic lift and see how high you can sustain flight. Infinite fuel and infinite electricity are permitted on a separate leaderboard albeit with a 10% score penalty. It doesn't have to be a true helicopter, but the critical thing is that you cannot apply vertical with reaction engines at any point. Should be pretty common-sense.

Note that the scoring is based on sustained altitude, not maximum altitude.

Here's a quick-and-dirty example, just to show what can be done:

screenshot37.png
screenshot38.png
screenshot39.png

Just a capsule and a bunch of reaction wheels with fins on the outside. 17.4 km and still climbing.

EDIT: Made the rules a bit clearer/better.

Leaderboard:

Spoiler

Infinite Fuel/Electricity:

No cheats:

Edited by sevenperforce

9 hours ago, Azimech said:

I don't have the fantasy I can compete with something like your device, Juno's won't even run at that altitude. But it is interesting to see how one of my helicopters will do.

I'd rather have your submission than not! How about I do two separate leaderboards: one with infinite fuel/electricity, and one without?

7 hours ago, Red Rocket Robert said:

Quite impressive, It leaves me in wonder as to how much further the helicopter could reach.

screenshot40.png

Probably nearing its limit -- I don't know how many rotational gees I'm pulling but it's high. It gets very unstable at high RPMs; even though it is fully autostrutted, the parts start slipping out of place and it makes the control surfaces pull out of alignment. I might be able to do a better job of it if I used a single part as the fuselage.

Protip for testing: throw the whole thing inside a fairing and slap an SRB underneath it. That'll save you the trouble of climbing slowly through the atmosphere.

27 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Allright, did a testflight, Ill put up the pics in a few minutes.

Looking forward to seeing it!

This is the 77I-Azi20 Selene, stock turboshaft helicopter. It's powered by an Asura II engine, 50 blowers, 8 turbine blades. Only modification from standard is I added a probe core and RTG to the turbine shaft for controlling rotor RPM at high altitude.
As you can see I was out of fuel while climbing after roughly 45 minutes. The last test was using the fuel cheat. After a nap it was hovering at the final altitude. Interesting to note is the engine started to run a little hot, something it doesn't do below 3500m or during forward flight.

48 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Probably nearing its limit -- I don't know how many rotational gees I'm pulling but it's high. It gets very unstable at high RPMs; even though it is fully autostrutted, the parts start slipping out of place and it makes the control surfaces pull out of alignment. I might be able to do a better job of it if I used a single part as the fuselage.

The cause is your craft is trying to spin faster than the 51rad/s limit, faster than that and physics go gaga. It's a limitation in either Unity or KSP, we don't know.
The solution is to use more lift.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.