KSP Challenge: Crosswise the Sea!

Darth Badie

tfHHlz0up_YhIVUa6wDZNVrgTJ6KxJ1xRMP5zgAC

Check out the amazing and creative entries of last week challenge!

This week we have another theme for you: “Crosswise the Sea”

Fly across the sea in an airplane and land safely. Sounds easy right?
Share your screenshots, videos or images. We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community!

Rules:

• Airplanes only
  • Stock parts only
  • Parachutes are allowed

The most original airplane and landing will receive a special official badge, you need to vote for your favorite ( the one with more likes will win) 

Have fun!

Cool sunday morning breakfast challenge! Miumm!:D
I will send all my Kerbals over the sea for lunch at the beach, with a truly humongous airplane.
Jeb wants his GoKart within the cargo for sure.

screenshot11.png

Transport for family of six kerbals, from runway to the coast east across the sea from KSC in five minutes at mach 4.5 and still enough gas in the tank for a return trip. Took good two minutes to get it landed though, note to self - pack air brakes and drag chutes for next intercontinental vacation.

Across the sea? I once tried launching a shuttle on a shuttle with suborbital separation. The launcher ended up across the ocean - then I sent a refueler plane to it, and flew them both back.

It takes most of this video, even though that was only preparation for a much more daring operation...

Just now, Tex_NL said:

Don't want to P anybody off but how is flying a stock aircraft across a stretch of sea a challenge? Has the definition of the word challenge changed recently

We have a different challenge every week and the idea is to make everyone participate and have fun 

Mirage 2000c flying under the radar, decided to up the ante and stay below 100m the entire flight. Really wish there were mappable trim keys for joysticks.

Edited by shadoxfilms

I'm terrible with planes, so I build redicolous ones

Behold: Plany McPlaneface

aXuGS7o.png

Plany McPlaneface features 2 Mk3 crew cabins stacked ontop of each other to maximize cuteness.

It's slow but handles well.

Edited by Physics Student

11 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

This is not a challenge.

Unless you're serious about landing safely. In which case, it's a challenge. :P

Then make it a challenge for you, do it in a VTOL, make a stock propeller aircraft, fly as slow as you can, fly as fast as you can, fly as low as you can. There are challenges everywhere, you just have to look for them.

16 minutes ago, shadoxfilms said:

Then make it a challenge for you, do it in a VTOL, make a stock propeller aircraft, fly as slow as you can, fly as fast as you can, fly as low as you can. There are challenges everywhere, you just have to look for them.

I was being facetious. I've yet to land an airplane. It's already challenging enough for me.

I wasn't sure how much fuel I would need, so I put in as much as I could. 4600 units of fuel!

rqqcD4O.png

Spoiler

Takeoff was slow. This thing accelerates like a tortoise in molasses.

2VO6k90.png

I can't tell what Jeb's doing; is he bored, or annoyed, or doing the hokey-pokey? 

AyNOZPd.png

The view is nice, though.

7gIMWMd.png

Final approach for landing...

jowZFwH.png

Touchdown! 

rcq1mUK.png

daYqeFV.png

...and I only ended up using about 400 units of fuel. 

10 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

I was being facetious. I've yet to land an airplane. It's already challenging enough for me.

What are you having issues with? do your airplanes fly? The best thing I can suggest is to load some of the stock aircraft in sandbox and play around with them. Biggest thing to remember is to make small corrections during landing, over-correcting can easily lead to a loss of control and crash. Turning on fine controls may help if you are flying using a keyboard, press caps-lock to turn it on.

28 minutes ago, shadoxfilms said:

What are you having issues with?

Just the time consumption. I don't get anywhere near as much KSP-time as I'd like, so I don't usually mess with planes. They're cool, of course, and I'll get around to 'em eventually, just not sure when. I always say I'm gonna dedicate a couple weeks to spaceplanes, but I never do. Just too much I wanna do. I've actually built a few and even put a couple on the ground; though I wouldn't call it a "landing". Maybe I'll make a crappy plane and see if I can land it, just for this challenge.

15 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Just the time consumption. I don't get anywhere near as much KSP-time as I'd like

You could always try to fly at 4x physics warp. My planes can usually handle it as long as I don't maneuver. Straight and level does the trick.

I've crossed the oceans in smallish, very fast jets. I guess to up the challenge for this I'll try my hand at a proper airliner

OK.... So maybe I'm bending the rules a little... maybe.... I didn't see anything about having to stay in the atmosphere the whole time... :rolleyes:

And y'all know Val... She's such a showoff.

Once she heard what the challenge was, she ran out, stole an older (stock) banshee, and... well... did just what Val does...

She crossed the ocean.... Valentina Style... :wink:

(There's a bunch of screenshots, so I'll put them in a spoiler thing)

Spoiler

H1wLRK4.png

2TWNnTJ.png

sCmNkOh.png

OUteYbP.png

gimI8k5.png

8bUko07.png

Oqdk1BV.png

IybXJxL.png

Ig3XKhT.png

RVTCxyH.png

FoBxyg0.png

K51OaFh.png

I0by0Qt.png

kMvi050.png

HyUfFcx.png

X5kB0SJ.png

RtGjckg.png

SXrF0jW.png

dZ3QAUD.png

Edited by Just Jim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.