Make Jool a planet you can land on.

Hey all I was playing my KSP and in the middle of capturing an asteroid, when I had this idea. Why not make it possible to land on Jool? I was thinking that they should keep the green gas cloud totally around it to impossible to see anything but green, until it disappears like 150M from the surface and then give Jool a planet surface that always looks like it is night time. I thought this would be fun challenge to, not only make Jool a Kerbal destination, but to also make a cool challenge for someone to try and land on a planet where you can't see the ground until you've almost landed. Any thoughts?  

Mind you guys, there is probably a solid core of some sort, but hell, no ship would survive the temperature and pressure there. 

Ever seen The Core movie? Because the Virgil is probably what you would need.

11 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Mind you guys, there is probably a solid core of some sort, but hell, no ship would survive the temperature and pressure there.

This.

5 hours ago, sirgoodman said:

Hey all I was playing my KSP and in the middle of capturing an asteroid, when I had this idea. Why not make it possible to land on Jool? I was thinking that they should keep the green gas cloud totally around it to impossible to see anything but green, until it disappears like 150M from the surface and then give Jool a planet surface that always looks like it is night time. I thought this would be fun challenge to, not only make Jool a Kerbal destination, but to also make a cool challenge for someone to try and land on a planet where you can't see the ground until you've almost landed. Any thoughts?  

How do you know there isn't?

Have you flown thru?

I know everyone says that you are not supposed to be able to land on a gas giant, but there is no real reason for this other than the fact that no one has landed anything on Jupiter. Also this is KSP, and even though you guys say it it impossible KSP already has some things that are impossible. Plus who doesn't agree that this would make a really fun challenge in the game? 

Plus Kerbals have very advanced space tech. With the space technology we have today, we can only put stuff on Mars and the Moon. Kerbals on the other hand have the tech to conquer their solar system. Why not assume they have the tech to land on a gas giant?  

12 hours ago, mattinoz said:

How do you know there isn't?

Have you flown thru?

Do you want to try and land there?

I do not. :P

Think about how easily Venus can crush and cook a spacecraft, now multiply that by a bajillion.

7 hours ago, sirgoodman said:

I know everyone says that you are not supposed to be able to land on a gas giant, but there is no real reason for this other than the fact that no one has landed anything on Jupiter. Also this is KSP, and even though you guys say it it impossible KSP already has some things that are impossible. Plus who doesn't agree that this would make a really fun challenge in the game? 

Sorry what? That's like saying "we can survive in vacuum, but nobody's tried it yet" it just doesn't make sense. Though ksp has some impossible things in it, it's trying to stick to something representing realism. It would be fun challenge though. :)

16 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Sorry what? That's like saying "we can survive in vacuum, but nobody's tried it yet" it just doesn't make sense. Though ksp has some impossible things in it, it's trying to stick to something representing realism. It would be fun challenge though. :)

They could put a solid core there if they wanted. Still nobody's going to be able to get there. Not without god-mode mods anyhow.

While I don't agree with making Jool 'landable', the idea as a whole is quite interesting...

IF Squad add weather, maybe we can see something like that in Eve... dense clouds, covering everything and making it harder to land... (well, its already a pain to takeoff from Eve, why not make it 'the worst planet ever' by making it very hard to land on? :P)

Edited by Thiagobs

Well I meant that this is a video game, not real life so they can do anything they want. Plus if they did add a planet texture below the covering of gas, it wouldn't be that impossible to land on. (BTW Jool has been landed on before, but I'm saying to give it a planet core to land on here is a good video of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WriMi5R72Pc ) And why would anybody not like the idea of given Jool a landable planet core under the gas covering?  

49 minutes ago, sirgoodman said:

Well I meant that this is a video game, not real life so they can do anything they want. Plus if they did add a planet texture below the covering of gas, it wouldn't be that impossible to land on. (BTW Jool has been landed on before, but I'm saying to give it a planet core to land on here is a good video of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WriMi5R72Pc ) And why would anybody not like the idea of given Jool a landable planet core under the gas covering? 

Well, dang, that's definitely a lack of foresight. The moment the reentry heat starts to decline? Nuh uh. That'd just get hotter and hotter until KABLAM.

Something with the math is WAAAAAY off. I've seen Eve rip ships apart more easily. Granted, this is also before reentry physics got reworked. I'm willing to bet this would work now, especially without shielding.

Edited by vger

I'm ambivalent about a landable (solid?) core, but I'd welcome a change to get rid of the unsightly inky void of explosions. Nothing fancy, maybe just an ocean with extreme temperature and density. To make it harder to reach and more mysterious, the lower atmosphere should be hot enough by itself to vaporize almost any stock craft.

2 hours ago, vger said:

Well, dang, that's definitely a lack of foresight. The moment the reentry heat starts to decline? Nuh uh. That'd just get hotter and hotter until KABLAM.

Something with the math is WAAAAAY off. I've seen Eve rip ships apart more easily. Granted, this is also before reentry physics got reworked. I'm willing to bet this would work now, especially without shielding.

Keep in mind that video is from KSP 0.20.2. Tons of things have changed since then and heating and aero have gotten much more realistic.

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

5 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Keep in mind that video is from KSP 0.20.2. Tons of things have changed since then and heating and aero have gotten much more realistic.

oops. Heh, that was supposed to say "wouldn't work now" not "would."

So the OP wants a green super-Kerbin or super-Laythe in place of Jool? Easily done. :P (Not by me, of course, but by any skilled planet maker who can be convinced to do this.) Making it deceptively appear featureless in Map View but then reveal itself up close might be viable (I think it's a matter of just supplying a cloudy ScaledSpace model which differs from the real-space model). The alternative is to get on your knees and pray  that Squad develops a mechanic to even support this kind of feature.

There's a land-able gas planet mod out there already. Its surface is an actual ocean but it looks like just another gas planet from afar, and it will melt anything that comes near its atmosphere.

Cyran, the fire giant.

I'm sure the ScaledSpace deception + tangible surface thing is within @Galileo 's power to do. Personally, I've wanted this for one of his moons, Catullus. It straddles the fence between super-terra and gas planet.

I am in the "It is a gas giant, you cannot land on it" crowd but I think there should be a difference in the way that effect is implemented.

There should be pressure and heat capabilities for every part and the gradient of Jool's atmosphere should increase so it exceeds all those capabilities on a part by part basis. Currently you get to a set depth and the whole craft goes `poof`

Then you could have a core of the most sturdy part, with the most sturdy probe core etc

It would be interesting designing a craft to go as deep as you could, with weaker parts exploding on the way down, until the craft becomes unresponsive.

There could be an opportunity to get `flying low at Jool` science which should be very high.

Edited by John FX

21 minutes ago, John FX said:

I am in the "It is a gas giant, you cannot land on it" crowd but I think there should be a difference in the way that effect is implemented.

There should be pressure and heat capabilities for every part and the gradient of Jool's atmosphere shoudl increase so it exceeds all those capabilities on a part by part basis. Currently you get to a set depth and the whole craft goes `poof`

Then you could have a core of the most sturdy part, with the most sturdy probe core etc

It would be interesting designing a craft to go as deep as you could, with weaker parts exploding on the way down, until the craft becomes unresponsive.

There could be an opportunity to get `flying low at Jool` science which should be very high.

All of this. I too would like to see that static pressure alone can destroy a ship (meaning, crawling on purpose through immense pressure will not save you). As for heat there are already two ways to get this done. Any planet that has an atmosphere can have an atmosphere temperature curve. And any planet that has an ocean (which can be cleverly hidden, but is required) can have a heat curve without needing to have an atmosphere. These are all demonstrated in Planet Cyran and its first (and half-lava) moon.

Players already do get low flying Jool science. Either their science craft is actually built to survive a pass down there and escape, or is expendable.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I'm in a unique crowd as Jool should have an atmosphere, an ocean and then a core. 

There should be a realistic pressure curve so that it follows the pressure that would be expected of a gas giant.

However players should be able to deep dive. Pressure shouldn't be an instant execution but something you can engineer around. In the same way as deep ocean dives today. 

3 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I'm in a unique crowd as Jool should have an atmosphere, an ocean and then a core. 

There should be a realistic pressure curve so that it follows the pressure that would be expected of a gas giant.

However players should be able to deep dive. Pressure shouldn't be an instant execution but something you can engineer around. In the same way as deep ocean dives today. 

I quite agree, with that. or maybe if they don't make Jool a planet you can land on. Maybe they should make it a planet you can fly safely through and do science in it and stuff.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.