Make Jool a planet you can land on.

15 minutes ago, sirgoodman said:

I quite agree, with that. or maybe if they don't make Jool a planet you can land on. Maybe they should make it a planet you can fly safely through and do science in it and stuff.  

I'd prefer at least an ocean or something solid you can perform science on, yeah. 

A point for flags would also be nice. 

You guys sound like you want Jool to be something else entirely. Casually gliding in its deep depths and planting flags are simply not doable on a gas planet. :P But an ocean would be welcome, and it should burn down there because it ought to be very, very hot down there due to the extreme pressures and wind speeds.

The ocean could be pure LqdHydrogen and maye even contain "Metallic Hydrogen"

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I know your saying that it shouldn't be possible, but it would very cool. (BTW gas giants do have some sort of core)

P.S. - What is the members reputation below everyone's profile pictures?

Edited by sirgoodman
extra question

The point isn't that they couldn't make it landable, the point it is it would ruin the attempted realism of the game if they did so. That's just not how gas giants work. This would make a lot more People angry if it was implemented than if it wasn't.

As @MiffedStarfish mentioned - this game, while having - quirks - Is designed to simulate real life. Real life gas giants can't be landed on, not without turning into a giant hunk of useless scrap.

55 minutes ago, sirgoodman said:

P.S. - What is the members reputation below everyone's profile pictures?

Its a measure of how many time people have liked a post that that member has made.

5 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

The point isn't that they couldn't make it landable, the point it is it would ruin the attempted realism of the game if they did so. That's just not how gas giants work. This would make a lot more People angry if it was implemented than if it wasn't.

But if you somehow could make a very improbable pressaure ressistant vessel, let it splash on an ocean of (liquid hydrogen? Helium? Whatever's in there) before exploding because of the temperature drop and the ultimate fate of imploding ON THE SURFACE.

23 minutes ago, Nailed it! said:

But if you somehow could make a very improbable pressure resistant vessel, let it splash on an ocean of (liquid hydrogen? Helium? Whatever's in there) before exploding because of the temperature drop and the ultimate fate of imploding ON THE SURFACE.

Dude. Pressure is what's liquidizing the gas, NOT temperature. Have you looked at one of those phase diagrams? Yeah. Pressure, not temperature.

If the pressure is high enough to liquidize helium, then it shouldn't be able to be landed on. Kerbals should DIE from being squished too hard.

44 minutes ago, sirgoodman said:

But it still has a solid core, and Kerbals have some advanced tech so its possible they could have suits to withstand that kind of pressure.

What Advanced technology? The only thing they have what we lack today are Nuclear thermal Rockets, but they have been built and tested in the 1960's.

1 hour ago, Wallygator said:

ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS - EXCEPT JOOL.
          ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE

Or the sun.

1 hour ago, Canopus said:

What Advanced technology? The only thing they have what we lack today are Nuclear thermal Rockets, but they have been built and tested in the 1960's.

They have the mammoth which is 4 RS-25s working together which has only been tested and never used. 

Thats technically futuristic. 

9 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

All of this. I too would like to see that static pressure alone can destroy a ship (meaning, crawling on purpose through immense pressure will not save you). As for heat there are already two ways to get this done. Any planet that has an atmosphere can have an atmosphere temperature curve. And any planet that has an ocean (which can be cleverly hidden, but is required) can have a heat curve without needing to have an atmosphere. These are all demonstrated in Planet Cyran and its first (and half-lava) moon.

Players already do get low flying Jool science. Either their science craft is actually built to survive a pass down there and escape, or is expendable.

Realistically, gas giants may have oceans. If you compress a gas enough it'll turn into a liquid, so there could easily be a liquid core, possibly even a solid one. But it's not "rocky" in the way we think of it. If you took the pressure away, the material would become gaseous again.

Edited by vger

2 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I'm not against jool having a surface. I'm against jool being landable.

I think it should be 99.9% liquid surface with a small land cap at the North Pole of Jool for Easter egg/completionists. So they have a place to crown their achievements while being realistic.

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

I think it should be 99.9% liquid surface with a small land cap at the North Pole of Jool for Easter egg/completionists. So they have a place to crown their achievements while being realistic.

Put a live kraken in the center that eats ships. :cool:

If I'm not mistaken, Jool already technically has a "surface", at least as far as a surface is considered to be the location of zero altitude. You can't, however, land on this because it is not land, and your vehicle will be destroyed shortly after passing beneath the "surface" because that's what happens with gas giants. And if there was a liquid hydrogen ocean, it would likely be far deeper than anywhere that can be reached in KSP.

Just now, eloquentJane said:

If I'm not mistaken, Jool already technically has a "surface", at least as far as a surface is considered to be the location of zero altitude. You can't, however, land on this because it is not land, and your vehicle will be destroyed shortly after passing beneath the "surface" because that's what happens with gas giants. And if there was a liquid hydrogen ocean, it would likely be far deeper than anywhere that can be reached in KSP.

And that's where you'd be pressure killed at some point but you can try to deep dive for records.

I like the idea of being able to do an analogue of the Galileo mission. I'm kind of surprised that wasn't already done, and they've missed an opportunity to release such content in with Cassini's final plunge. Come September, everybody is going to want to drop a probe into Jool. But is there a pressure mechanic in the game at all right now? I'm guessing no. Add a pressure system though and they could also add submersibles at the same time, and kill two birds with one stone.

Edited by vger

1 minute ago, monstah said:

I'm curious: has anyone ever modded a god-part that can survive insane temperature and pressure, just to see if it lands anywhere?

Issue is the game has a lot of barriers that insta kills parts regardless at some points.

6 hours ago, sirgoodman said:

I quite agree, with that. or maybe if they don't make Jool a planet you can land on. Maybe they should make it a planet you can fly safely through and do science in it and stuff.  

so, like space? :P  actually i like the idea of an oort cloud ...

See, this is the sort of thing that scares me about the Take Two acquisition. That eventually KSP development will be overseen by a producer who knows video games but who knows nothing about space or planetary science, and then they'll start adding this sort of stuff to the game. "Well, yeah, sure, why shouldn't they be able to land on a gas giant? Just make it really hard. Let's put some funny-looking tree scatters there while we're at it."

1 hour ago, ZooNamedGames said:

That is what I'm taking about.

1 minute ago, TheSaint said:

See, this is the sort of thing that scares me about the Take Two acquisition. That eventually KSP development will be overseen by a producer who knows video games but who knows nothing about space or planetary science, and then they'll start adding this sort of stuff to the game. "Well, yeah, sure, why shouldn't they be able to land on a gas giant? Just make it really hard. Let's put some funny-looking tree scatters there while we're at it."

I know plenty about science, I'm saying adding something like that would make the game more interesting. Plus it would only be slightly unrealistic unlike other things in the game like magic boulders, the fact that a kerbal can hit the ground at 20 meters per second, and not die (that's 1200 meters a minuet, and 72000 meters an hour) how is that realistic?   

On 6/19/2017 at 8:08 PM, qzgy said:

But... its a gas giant. Implying it's very gassy, with little to no surface to land on.

Prove it! For now, I agree that landing on the gas giant sounds fun :wink: 
Can you achieve a Jool Return mission? Yikes!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.