[1.12.x] Trajectories v2.4.5 (2023-08-22) : atmospheric predictions

Kobymaru

New release is up!

Version 1.7.0 improves precision and fixes a crash. Download from GitHub or SpaceDock.

Provided that the CKAN fairies have heard prayers and pleas, the update should propagate to CKAN soon™.

Full Changelog:

Spoiler

## v1.7.0 for KSP 1.3.0
 - 2017-07-08

### Changes since the last release

* Improved precision by accounting for reynolds number in drag. Fixes Issue #84.
 * Fix crash when turning on In-Flight trajectory display while in Map view. Fixes Issue #102. Thanks to PiezPiedPy!
 * Prevent click-through in certain situations. Thanks to PiezPiedPy!
 * Numbers in the user interface don't change as quickly anymore, allowing for better readability
 * Deviation readout now switches from E to W and from N to S instead of just showing negative numbers

### For Developers

* Added a bridge to the newly created [Telemetry](https://github.com/fat-lobyte/KSPTelemetry) module,
   allowing for nice [graphs](https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/173609/27686194-febdbca6-5cd1-11e7-877d-1ab6e5069fb6.png)
   and better debugging of prediction precision.
 * Updated Profiler UI to new Canvas system. Thanks to PiezPiedPy!
 * Added documentation for contributers in CONTRIBUTING.md file with style guidelines,
   help for building, debugging and much more.

### Known Issues

* In-Flight trajectory for non-atmospheric trajectories is incorrect and jumpy

A huge thank you to @PiezPiedPy is in order for his help with the maintenance of this mod!

Thank you.

How about adding a toggle for the user that the body fixed mode will automatically be enabled when inside atmosphere and when in low orbit and the periapsis is already inside the atmosphere?
The actual state could be shown by a slightly different icon on the button...

2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

How about adding a toggle for the user that the body fixed mode will automatically be enabled when inside atmosphere and when in low orbit and the periapsis is already inside the atmosphere?

Please create an Issue here: https://github.com/neuoy/KSPTrajectories/issues/

Make sure to explain what your suggestion does, what the benefits and the potential disadvantages are.

2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

The actual state could be shown by a slightly different icon on the button...

I'm a "code-only" guy, I don't do modeling or even light Photoshop :wink:

So any Icon changes would have to come from other contributors (maybe you? :wink: ) . Also, right now I can't even imagine how to get the "symbolism" right - meaning how to make abundantly clear that Body-Fixed mode (how do you even symbolize that?) is off or on in as little as 36x36 pixels.

The option that allows selecting Body-Fixed mode could have a third option, "Automatic", which would do exactly that. The icon could change background color when Body-Fixed is enabled, whether explicitly by the user or internally by the automatic mode. While this does not make immediately clear what the background change does, it could be mentioned in the Readme and be a useful and well visible indicator for users that know what it means. I would be glad to provide an edited icon for this.

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:25 AM, Kobymaru said:

A huge thank you to @PiezPiedPy is in order for his help with the maintenance of this mod!

Nice1 @Kobymaru :D

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:48 PM, Kobymaru said:

I'm a "code-only" guy, I don't do modelling or even light Photoshop :wink:

So any Icon changes would have to come from other contributors (maybe you? :wink: ) . Also, right now I can't even imagine how to get the "symbolism" right - meaning how to make abundantly clear that Body-Fixed mode (how do you even symbolize that?) is off or on in as little as 36x36 pixels.

Same here, it would be good if someone could create graphics for icons I could then integrate into the new gui.

29 minutes ago, PiezPiedPy said:

Same here, it would be good if someone could create graphics for icons I could then integrate into the new gui.

Feel free to PM me the original existing icons, if any, and what modifications to make to them or what new things to create. I will do my best.

28 minutes ago, APlayer said:

Feel free to PM me the original existing icons, if any, and what modifications to make to them or what new things to create. I will do my best.

You will find the icons on GitHub here

Also it would be good if you could raise a new post on the Trajectories issues section on GitHub here with any ideas for the icons you have. There is also the Trajectories development thread on the KSP forum here :wink:

Hey guys, can I ask you a Favor?

So I watched  Scott Manleys Galileo Conquest , and it seems that he's not using Trajectories quite right.

If you happen to watch Scott Manleys streams, could you relay to him the following:

• Update to the newest version (1.7.0), where precision should be improved
  • He can select "Prograde" or "Retrograde" or even a descent profile to calculate different reentry orientations
  • He can pay for increased precision with performance by disabling the cache in the settings (admittedly the price is a bit hefty)

I'm afraid I can't watch, because they happen in an inconvenient time zone for me.

For good measure, I'll ping @illectro directly as well :wink:

Edited by Kobymaru

1 hour ago, Agustin said:

I think this mod is making y game crash sometimes. I really dont know for sure, but here is my crash log, maybe someone can help me? https://ufile.io/gjlqu

I'm afraid i need more info than that. Please read this thread and come back with more details.

ps.: Next time, could you please not use such an annoying a hoster that tries to charge me for trying to help you? There's a myriad of other possibilities to upload a logfile, I don't see any reason why you have to pick the most annoying one. Try Dropbox, Google Drive, pastebin (or any other of the million services like that), GitHub gist...

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, John007qwe said:

Hey, ckan is showing v1.7.0 as for ksp 1.2.2 instead of 1.3.0

Indeed, it does. That's hella weird though, considering I put in the correct version in the AVC .version file and on http://ksp-avc.cybutek.net . The netkan file seems to be OK too, so I don't know what's going on.

Either way, I can assure you that it's compatible with 1.3.0 and it's even still marked as compatible and installable via CKAN.

9 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

Indeed, it does. That's hella weird though, considering I put in the correct version in the AVC .version file and on http://ksp-avc.cybutek.net . The netkan file seems to be OK too, so I don't know what's going on.

Either way, I can assure you that it's compatible with 1.3.0 and it's even still marked as compatible and installable via CKAN.

I guess it's time for me to reinstall and get rid of that pesky AVC warning on the splash screen. :P

Thanks, Kobymaru.

Is there any chance of getting this working well with realscale solarsystem and SSTO's which use wings to land so the projections are long and it comes up against a limit, if Trajectories can to it's work outside of the nomral thread limitations of KSP it would be nice to have the option to enable longer predictions, although if it works within the KSP physics engine I know that isn't possible.

Hey there

Is it possible to change the configuration so that the retrograde decent profile option is selected by default. I don't know it the other options will become more useful as a progress through the game, but at my current stage, I'm exclusively using the retrograde option.

Is there a config file I can edit or MM patch I can use to have that option selected all the time?

Thanks

20 hours ago, etheoma said:

Is there any chance of getting this working well with realscale solarsystem and SSTO's which use wings to land so the projections are long and it comes up against a limit, if Trajectories can to it's work outside of the nomral thread limitations of KSP it would be nice to have the option to enable longer predictions, although if it works within the KSP physics engine I know that isn't possible.

I am working on some core changes for the integrator that may or may not improve performance significantly and may increase or decrease precision. After that, I should probably do a pass on the hard limits for prediction and the performance/precision settings because I don't quite understand them yet.

In the mean time, what would really help would be a good Issue report that you can post here: https://github.com/neuoy/KSPTrajectories/issues

What I need: 

• Stock or Far?
  • Trajectories version, KSP version, FAR version (if any)
  • Your craft file, please remove all non-stock parts
  • Your entry situation, as detailed as possible (preferrably a Quicksave loadable in Stock)
  • Your settings: descent profile (or pro/retrograde), Cache yes or no, Max Patches
  • If you have precision problems, how far and in which direction do you deviate?

3 hours ago, strudo76 said:

Is it possible to change the configuration so that the retrograde decent profile option is selected by default. I don't know it the other options will become more useful as a progress through the game, but at my current stage, I'm exclusively using the retrograde option.

Is there a config file I can edit or MM patch I can use to have that option selected all the time?

There is not yet, but I think it's a good idea. Would you mind creating an issue here? https://github.com/neuoy/KSPTrajectories/issues

edit: I have created instructions on how to create good bug reports here:

https://github.com/neuoy/KSPTrajectories/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#how-to-report-bugs

It would be appreciated if you guys and everyone else could skim through the "How to Report Bugs" section and follow the instructions the next time they want to make me aware of an issue.

Edited by Kobymaru

So I added a new build of the latest version  of Trajectories 1.7.0 for KSP 1.2.2 which can be downloaded here.

Don't expect these build to be around forever and please update your KSP version eventually. The next version will probably have features that make it incompatible with KSP versions < 1.3.0.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, it seems I misunderstood. That should actually work out of the box. Does it not? Could you test this? The best way is to set the settings, do your deorbit burn, "Set current impact" as target, wait until you hit the ground and then note the deviation.

If you do that twice and you get reasonably close each time, we know the airbrakes work. If not then, we'll go from there.

1.7.0 has a precision fix so you should probably use that for testing.

Relocated from the development thread.  Couldn't test for a while I ironed out things on a new system.  Running v1.7.0 under KSP 1.2.2.

Without airbrakes deployed, point of impact is close, <2 km deviation.

When airbrakes are deployed before planning the burn, I didn't catch the exact amount due to night landing and missing pausing before impact. However the deviation exceeded 300 km last I saw.  This was using stock airbrakes with the ignore max temperature set to eliminate the ablative brakes mod as a variable.  So brakes seem to be ignored completely.

The rocket re-enters facing retrograde, and the brakes are mounted with that facing in mind.  If you think it'd make a difference, I can throw something up something meant to re-enter prograde.

17 hours ago, sjbuggs said:

When airbrakes are deployed before planning the burn, I didn't catch the exact amount due to night landing and missing pausing before impact. However the deviation exceeded 300 km last I saw.  This was using stock airbrakes with the ignore max temperature set to eliminate the ablative brakes mod as a variable.  So brakes seem to be ignored completely.

The rocket re-enters facing retrograde, and the brakes are mounted with that facing in mind.  If you think it'd make a difference, I can throw something up something meant to re-enter prograde.

Yeah, so that's clearly a bug, this is supposed to actually work. I'll take a look.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a bit of a problem where the predicted trajectory starts to move backwards when i get in the atmosphere.  It only appears to happen when my fuel tanks are anything other that full or empty, no idea what this is about but was thinking it might have something the do with configurable containers mod, is it compatible with trajectories?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2017 at 3:51 PM, aluc24 said:

@Kobymaru @Youen Hey, I'm having this issue with Trajectories in 1.2.2. I'm running the latest Trajectories version (updated through CKAN). The problem is that the trajectory prediction line is invisible unless time warp is turned on. There's just nothing, but if I turn on time warp (doesn't matter what magnitude), the lines re-appear. If this is not a known bug, let me know what information is needed to determine the cause, and I'll gladly provide it. For now, here's the log.

I am having a similar issue to this guy.  I am running Trajectories 1.7.0 installed from CKAN on KSP 1.3 in a 64bit environment.  I will caveat that this is a highly modded playthrough, but I am unsure where to start looking for a conflict.  The trajectory line displays fine while warping and very briefly for less than a second when the display trajectory is toggled on.  

Here is the link to my log.  

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3tLMNmF1UxvQnFjNG1vNk5GajQ?usp=sharing

Thanks.