[1.12.x] Trajectories v2.4.5 (2023-08-22) : atmospheric predictions

Kobymaru

*Fails to land space shuttle at KSC*

Me: How am I gonna land on target?

*Finds this mod*

Me: Yay! Open CKAN!

*Installs version 1.7.3*

Me: Cool! Let's go and watch youtube or something!

*Finds version 2.0 on forums*

:rolleyes:

At least I worked out how to update mods on CKAN.

Is it possible (say in the .cfg) to mark KSC as someplace different?  For instance, I'm using RSS.  I'd like to define "KSC" with the coordinates of 028.626749 x -081.260830  instead of having to enter these in manually every time.

If there is such a thing, what is the syntax for the .cfg?  And if not, could it be added in the next version?

Thanks in advance.

Was wondering if there's a way to calculate the trajectory of only the last stage of a rocket - I'm thinking of my typical setup, where I have a chute/pod/heat shield on top of some kind of rocket, and I want to know where the pod will land AFTER it's been decoupled from everything else. Before I decouple, trajectories gives me an estimate of where the whole thing will land; after I decouple, it updates the prediction for the "new" craft.

Is this already a feature that I didn't see or didn't understand how to use? If not, it seems like it could be an interesting feature - some kind of "show trajectory as if the craft consisted only of the parts in the last stage/above the last decoupler" toggle, maybe?

@AccidentalDisassembly

It's not possible to predict a trajectory for a future stage. We know this is a highly requested feature, but unless we duplicate big parts of the KSP-internal code, we are limited to simulating the current state of the vessel

The best option IMO is to include a bit of propulsion on your reentry vehicle (doesn't have to be much, just some RCS even) so that you can correct after staging (adjust the periapsis to compensate for the change in drag). Use a big enough heatshield to do a lifting reentry (follow the dot) and you'll be good.

Edited by dlrk

14 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

At least I worked out how to update mods on CKAN.

It's already updated on CKAN? Neat.

13 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

Do you have any idea, why the projected trajectory disappears as soon as one enables "Ghost Markers" on NavballAdjustor? Relevant lines here and below.
But this issue was already with the old version.

I'm afraid I have no idea what causes that, and we will be having a hard time debugging that. The trajectory drawing code is black magic to both me and PiezPiedPy, and I think even the original author Youen copy-pasted it from RemoteTech or something. I guess one day we should replace that code, but today is not that day. Sorry. You could create an issue here though, so we don't forget: https://github.com/neuoy/KSPTrajectories/issues

11 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

Is it possible (say in the .cfg) to mark KSC as someplace different?  For instance, I'm using RSS.  I'd like to define "KSC" with the coordinates of 028.626749 x -081.260830  instead of having to enter these in manually every time.

If there is such a thing, what is the syntax for the .cfg?  And if not, could it be added in the next version?

It's hardcoded at the moment, but we can totally put it in the config. Please create a GitHub issue here: https://github.com/neuoy/KSPTrajectories/issues

7 hours ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Well... oops :(

NP, we get this a lot. And I would need it in my own game too, but unfortunately it's just a bit too hard at the moment. If some nifty hacker wants to take that on, be my guest.

On 7.2.2018 at 11:19 AM, Kobymaru said:

Do you happen to have blizzy's toolbar? I believe the old versions didn't show an icon unless you "created" it in the Toolbar.

If that's not the issue, make sure that the Trajectories.dll is there. If it is, please show me a Log File.

Hi,

I think I solved the issue. I just needed to update the tracking station and then it showed up to be creatable in the toolbar.

But still thanks for your help.

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 4:10 PM, garwel said:

I'm not sure it is due to Trajectories, but I noticed that, after updating it, some mods started having issues with GUI. E.g. SCANsat doesn't show the map and KER has problems showing HUD. I wonder if anyone else has seen it too and what can be done about it. The output log is here.

it will be a problem with one of your other mods, runs fine with KER and ScanSat on my system.

Here is a list of the Mods I have installed and run fine along side Trajectories (at least for me).

KSPModFileLocalizer v0.2.1.10
ModuleManager v3.0.3.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2
aaa_Toolbar v1.7.15.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2
USITools v1.0.0.0
Astrogator v0.7.7.0
CCK v2.0.2.0 / v2.0.2.0 for KSP 1.3
DistantObject v1.9.1.24206
EasyVesselSwitch v1.4.6469.36412 / v1.4 for KSP v1.3
KSPDev_Utils.0.23.0 v0.23.0.0 / v0.23.0 for KSP v1.2
KSPDev_Utils.0.28 v0.28.6465.41979 / v0.28 for KSP v1.3
MiniAVC v1.0.3.0
Atmosphere v1.2.2.1
CelestialShadows v1.2.2.1
CityLights v1.2.2.1
EVEManager v1.2.2.1
PartFX v1.2.2.1
PQSManager v1.2.2.1
ShaderLoader v1.2.2.1
Terrain v1.2.2.1
TextureConfig v1.2.2.1
Utils v1.2.2.1
_BuildManager v1.2.2.1
Firespitter v7.3.6354.39102
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2
HullCamera v0.1.8.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.3
JSIAdvTransparentPods v0.1.15.0
RasterPropMonitor v0.29.1.13152
KAS v0.6.3.0 / v0.6.3 for KSP 1.3
MiniAVC v1.0.3.1
KerbalEngineer v1.1.3.0
KerbalEngineer.Unity v1.0.0.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2
Kerbalism v1.2.9.0
KIS v1.9.6571.274 / v1.9 for KSP 1.3+
KSPDev_Utils.0.23.0 v0.23.0.0 / v0.23.0 for KSP v1.2
KSPDev_Utils.0.28 v0.28.6465.41979 / v0.28 for KSP v1.3
KSPDev_Utils.0.30 v0.30.6557.40249 / v0.30 for KSP v1.3+
MiniAVC v1.0.3.0
NavUtilLib v0.7.1.0
NavUtilRPM v0.7.0.0
DockingPortAlignmentIndicator v1.0.0.0
DPAI_RPM v1.0.0.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2
ModuleDockingNodeNamed v1.0.0.0
ModuleManager.2.8.0 v2.8.0.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2
NE_Science v0.7.8.21 / v0.7.8 for KSP 1.3.1
PersistentRotation v1.0.0.0
PlanetarySurfaceStructures v1.5.9.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.0
PlanetShine v1.0.6121.34655
MiniAVC v1.0.3.3
DeepFreeze v0.23.7.0
ProgressiveCBMaps v0.1.25.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2
RoverScience v2.3.4.19613
SCANsat v1.8.4.0 / vv18.4
SCANsat.Unity v1.8.4.0
scatterer v1.0.6602.1156
Stock assembly: KSPSteamCtrlr v0.0.1.35
Stock assembly: Steamworks.NET v9.0.0.0 / v9.0.0
StageRecovery v1.7.2.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2
SEPScience v1.2.5.0 / v2.5
SEPScience.Unity v1.2.5.0
SurfaceExperimentPack v1.4.2.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2
SurfaceLights v1.6.6484.37549 / v1.6 for KSP v1.3
Trajectories v2.0.0.0
KerbalAlarmClock v3.8.5.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2
KSPTrackIR v1.0.0.0
VesselView v0.8.6.1 / v1.0.0.0
VesselViewPlugin v0.8.6.1 / v1.0.0.0
VesselViewRPM v0.8.6.1 / v1.0.0.0
VVDiscoDisplay v0.8.6.1 / v1.0.0.0
VVPartSelector v0.8.6.1 / v1.0.0.0

I suggest you cross-reference your mods against my list and any you have installed that I don't temporally remove them and see if you still get problems. If you don't then add them back in one mod at a time until you find the conflicting mod.

If you find you have problems running with any matching mods I have then all I can suggest is to reinstall your mods and by this I mean delete and then reinstall them.

I'm having a couple bugs with the latest version. Both are observed with FAR, and the former is new with this version, I believe the second one occurred previously

1. The projected impact point wanders back and forth along the flight path (on an equatorial orbit, it wanders longitudinally, but not laterally) until atmospheric entry, when it becomes accurate and the "wandering" disappears or is very small.
2. If a target is set, it moves to a different point on the target body during warp and has to be reset.

Let me know what tests I can do to help track these down, or what logs you need.

Ive got a problem setting a vessel as a target. After setting the vessel on the ground as my target, the expected green cross and nav guidance does not show because i cant press "set vessel as target" in the target tab.
Tried to get around this by setting a waypoint at exactly where the target is, but the resulting target is on the other side of the globe. 
I hope to see this fixed sooner than later.

Edited by Not Sure

18 hours ago, radio said:

Is the mod no longer compatible with kOS? Addons:tr:available returns false. Great work, by the way.

@radio Thanks :)

There where changes to the API that kOS uses to communicate with Trajectories. The kOS authors have been made aware of the changes, so until they update kOS it will not function unfortunately. See the GitHub issue on the matter here: https://github.com/neuoy/KSPTrajectories/issues/133  

I have a feature request..... Can you add the live trajectory (impact) calculations for non-atmospheric bodies like the Mun? It's be nice to have that same "X" marker on the Mun when I adjust my orbit so that I don't have to manually adjust for the rotation of the planet. 

Edited by Radboy16

1 hour ago, Radboy16 said:

I have a feature request..... Can you add the live trajectory (impact) calculations for non-atmospheric bodies like the Mun? It's be nice to have that same "X" marker on the Mun when I adjust my orbit so that I don't have to manually adjust for the rotation of the planet. 

That is already available. Open up the trajectories GUI and tick "complete".

There where changes to the API that kOS uses to communicate with Trajectories. The kOS authors have been made aware of the changes, so until they update kOS it will not function unfortunately. See the GitHub issue on the matter here: https://github.com/neuoy/KSPTrajectories/issues/133  

@PiezPiedPy

Fair enough. In the meantime 1.7.1 works just fine for those who code with kOS. At first I couldn't figure out why my landing algorithm was too unpredictable, but I soon noticed that "Trajectories" was changing its impact position without an apparent reason. I got rid of that problem by removing the stock "A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S". It's been discussed before. Some mods might have the same effect of breaking the prediction. That's for anyone who's wondering why their X winds up thousands of kilometers off the mark. Some part or a mod, or a combination is disrupting your original mark.

Edited by radio
Skipped a post.

On 3/1/2018 at 11:23 AM, PiezPiedPy said:

@radio Thanks :)

Sorry about that.  I've been sick the last 3 weeks and haven't worked on kOS at all.  I'm feeling better now and I opened up discussion with the other kOS devs about wanting to put out a release before the next KSP drops this month, specifically because of the Trajectories PR.  I can't promise anything about whether we'll be able to do it on time or not.  The timing is bad because one of the other devs is about to go on a vacation trip.

Edited by Steven Mading

I have Just read the new EULA from Take2 and unless they change it I will no longer be supporting this Mod.

(from new EULA): "USER CREATED CONTENT: (...) you hereby grant Licensor an exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, fully transferable, and sub-licensable worldwide right and license to use your contributions in any way and for any purpose in connection with the Software and related goods and services, including, but not limited to, the rights to reproduce, copy, adapt, modify, perform, display, publish, broadcast, transmit, or otherwise communicate to the public by any means whether now known or unknown and distribute your contributions without any further notice or compensation to you of any kind for the whole duration of protection granted to intellectual property rights by applicable laws and international conventions(...)"

I don't agree with Take2 robbing our code to use as they wish royalty free.

I wrote code for this mod for the community to use for free, not for Take2 to make money out of it if they decide to include it as one of their upates to KSP.

It was fun while it lasted guys :(

@linuxgurugamer I'm afraid your wrong, the EULA I'm referring to is for the Game.

For me to test Trajectories to be used on KSP1.4 I have to install KSP1.4 which means me agreeing to the 1.4 EULA which gives them full rights to use Trajectories how they wish regardless if it is on their servers or not.

I don't agree with the 1.4 EULA so I will not be able to test on 1.4 so I have updated The Trajectories license and copyright allowing other people the right to use my portions of the code, I have also removed any and all rights to commercial use of my contributions. So if Take2 want to make a DLC out of Trajectories they will only be able to do so by removing my contributions.

https://github.com/neuoy/KSPTrajectories/blob/master/License.txt

Edited by PiezPiedPy

A legal notice for Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.

Per the original agreement I entered into when I purchased the game, you do not have the right to make unilateral changes and/or to terminate the license for any reason other than my non-compliance. I do not consent to these changes now and/or at any other time regardless of any assumed acceptance of the new license, I will continue to operate under the original license.

Edited by PiezPiedPy