[1.12.x] Trajectories v2.4.5 (2023-08-22) : atmospheric predictions

Kobymaru

can someone point me to a tutorial on how to use this thing accurately? I have a stock space shuttle and put the "X" way back at the ksc mountains and im still overshooting the runway and as we all know deviating more then a few degrees from prograde marker will throw it into a weird spin. 

@Redneck Are you using the descent profiles? You will at least have to set them to Prograde for a space plane (shuttle). Also I suggest setting the slider types to Hori.

Hear is some info on the sliders. :wink:

AoA = Angle of Attack, angle relatively to the velocity vector.  Horiz = angle relatively to the horizon.

Top Slider = Spacecraft angle when entering the atmosphere (70000m @ Kerbin).

Next Slider = Spacecraft angle at 50% of atmosphere height (35000m @ Kerbin).

Next Slider = Spacecraft angle at 25% of atmosphere height (17500m @ Kerbin).

Bottom Slider = Spacecraft angle at 5% of atmosphere height / near the ground (3500m @ Kerbin).

Edited by PiezPiedPy

@Redneck Percentage of a planets Atmosphere height. Say you set the bottom slider to Hori and 10 degrees, you are basically telling Trajectories that when you get to a height of 5% of the atmosphere (which on Kerbin is 3500 meters because 5% of 70000meters is 3500 meters) you will be pointing the spacecraft at 10 degrees nose up.

First post on this thread has basic instructions.

Set a target point (nav ball guidance)

• Adjust your velocity so that the red cross is located where you want to go
  • Click "Set current impact as target" to enable the green cross
  • Alternatively, there is a button to set the target on the KSC (works on Kerbin only obviously), or you can enter longitude/latitude
  • Go back in flight view, and notice the two new indicators on the nav ball
  • The square indicator shows where you need to point your craft at if you were exactly following the predicted trajectory
  • The circle indicator is a hint about the direction you should go to adjust your actual trajectory to reach the target (this is not necessarily where you need to point, what's important is the direction between the square and the circle, and the distance between them indicates how far you are from the perfect trajectory)

Any reason why you not using the NewGUI? If your using an older version then I suggest updating to the newer version. v2.00 and up has slightly better performance by using an RK4 integrator.

Edited by PiezPiedPy

3 hours ago, PiezPiedPy said:

@Redneck Percentage of a planets Atmosphere height. Say you set the bottom slider to Hori and 10 degrees, you are basically telling Trajectories that when you get to a height of 5% of the atmosphere (which on Kerbin is 3500 meters because 5% of 70000meters is 3500 meters) you will be pointing the spacecraft at 10 degrees nose up.

First post on this thread has basic instructions.

Set a target point (nav ball guidance)

• Adjust your velocity so that the red cross is located where you want to go
  • Click "Set current impact as target" to enable the green cross
  • Alternatively, there is a button to set the target on the KSC (works on Kerbin only obviously), or you can enter longitude/latitude
  • Go back in flight view, and notice the two new indicators on the nav ball
  • The square indicator shows where you need to point your craft at if you were exactly following the predicted trajectory
  • The circle indicator is a hint about the direction you should go to adjust your actual trajectory to reach the target (this is not necessarily where you need to point, what's important is the direction between the square and the circle, and the distance between them indicates how far you are from the perfect trajectory)

Any reason why you not using the NewGUI? If your using an older version then I suggest updating to the newer version. v2.00 and up has slightly better performance by using an RK4 integrator.

thank you i will try again with that knowledge. I am using the newest version v2.2.0 but the old gui is easier on the eyes. but i will try the new gui

Edited by Redneck

IT WORKED!!!! That was the most perfect power off shuttle landing ever. Distance altitude and airspeed. I put red "X" right on top of the mountains in front of KSC. PERFECT!!!! 

Edited by Redneck

On 04/04/2018 at 9:43 AM, pbau5 said:

Last I checked (about a day ago) the kOS pull request integrating the new Trajectories version still hasn’t been merged. It’s working, but not merged. 

Hi! You say it's working ?

If I run ADDONS:TR:AVAILABLE  it still give me an error... :-(

13 minutes ago, bepsy3d said:

Hi! You say it's working ?

If I run ADDONS:TR:AVAILABLE  it still give me an error... :-(

The PR for fixing kOS's Trajectories support has been merged into the develop branch.

PR: https://github.com/KSP-KOS/KOS/pull/2220

kOS develop branch: https://github.com/KSP-KOS/KOS/commits/develop

If you're familiar with Git, you can clone the kOS repo, follow the kOS contribution readme, build the kOS mod locally, then copy/paste the output mod folder into KSP. Then voila. I've been building/filming my Falcon 9 recreation this way for a while now :)

48 minutes ago, pbau5 said:

The PR for fixing kOS's Trajectories support has been merged into the develop branch.

PR: https://github.com/KSP-KOS/KOS/pull/2220

kOS develop branch: https://github.com/KSP-KOS/KOS/commits/develop

If you're familiar with Git, you can clone the kOS repo, follow the kOS contribution readme, build the kOS mod locally, then copy/paste the output mod folder into KSP. Then voila. I've been building/filming my Falcon 9 recreation this way for a while now :)

Hey Thanks! 

I've downloaded the latest Kos_develop package.... found the Kos folder... copied in my GameData folder... but stil, if I type print addons:TR:available. I got false :-(

Am I doing something wrong? Or maybe I do also have to do something for the trajectories mod? 

Thanks in advance.

25 minutes ago, bepsy3d said:

Hey Thanks! 

I've downloaded the latest Kos_develop package.... found the Kos folder... copied in my GameData folder... but stil, if I type print addons:TR:available. I got false :-(

Am I doing something wrong? Or maybe I do also have to do something for the trajectories mod? 

Thanks in advance.

Well you still need to build the mod. You'll need Visual Studio. You'll want to follow steps 1-3 at the very end: https://github.com/KSP-KOS/KOS/blob/develop/CONTRIBUTING.md

So after you build, do step 1 again.

• 2 weeks later...

New release is up!

Version 2.2.1 for KSP v1.4.3.

Download from GitHub or Spacedock

KSP v1.3.1 release can be downloaded from GitHub  

Full Changelog:

Spoiler

v2.2.1 for KSP 1.4.3 and KSP 1.3.1

• 2018-04-28

Changes since the last release

• GUI window would reset to screen center on a game restart if it was hidden in the previous game, now fixed.
  • In-Flight trajectory ground target marker would sometimes appear on screen when behind the camera view, now fixed.

I've tried many suggestions, but I cannot get addons:tr:hasimpact or addons:tr:impactpos to work.  "addons:tr:available" also says false.  I have the latest versions of everything.

Edited by M3Man03

1 hour ago, M3Man03 said:

I've tried many suggestions, but I cannot get addons:tr:hasimpact or addons:tr:impactpos to work.  "addons:tr:available" also says false.  I have the latest versions of everything.

Have you tried my kOS development build in the post above yours ?

@PiezPiedPy @Sigma88 I tried a test career with Sigma Binary 1.7.0 and Sigma Dimensions 0.10.0 on top of OPM + ExtraSolar.

As soon as I reached space after launching, every attempt to get a circularization burn maneuver (MechJeb) spammed this to the log:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Orbit.PeApIntersects (.Orbit primary, .Orbit secondary, Double threshold) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SigmaBinaryPlugin.EncounterMathFixer.CheckEncounterButDontpoodleAboutIt (.Orbit p, .Orbit nextPatch, Double startEpoch, .OrbitDriver sec, .CelestialBody targetBody, .SolverParameters pars, Boolean logErrors) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PatchedConics._CalculatePatch (.Orbit p, .Orbit nextPatch, Double startEpoch, .SolverParameters pars, .CelestialBody targetBody) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) PatchedConics/CalculatePatchDelegate:invoke_bool__this___Orbit_Orbit_double_PatchedConics/SolverParameters_CelestialBody (Orbit,Orbit,double,PatchedConics/SolverParameters,CelestialBody)
  at Trajectories.Trajectory.CreateOrbitFromState (Trajectories.VesselState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Trajectories.Trajectory+<ComputeTrajectoryIncrement>d__42.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Trajectories.Trajectory.ComputeTrajectory (.Vessel vessel, Trajectories.DescentProfile profile) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Full log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4q2s0yqip6c4g7/2018-05-06_1 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 2:40 AM, Redneck said:

IT WORKED!!!! That was the most perfect power off shuttle landing ever. Distance altitude and airspeed. I put red "X" right on top of the mountains in front of KSC. PERFECT!!!! 

how do you enable inflight projections?