[1.12.x] Trajectories v2.4.5 (2023-08-22) : atmospheric predictions

Kobymaru

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:33 PM, sjbuggs said:

The predictions take into account rotation of the planetary body, which definitely does help on airless worlds.  Particularly say if you have a base and want to land there.

Ah, right. I forgot about that fact. Been taking that for granted as a given since it's part of the reason you would want to use Trajectories.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:19 AM, MoridinUK said:

AoA Angle of attitude ok...

I try to come in bottom first, so facing retrograde as that's where the heat shield is! 
I do find the inability to plan landings really irritating!  lol

Trajectories is awesome though, but even when set to retrograde I don't impact in the right place, it's like it ignores the braking from the atmosphere which it's supposed not to do..
So I burn for re-entry, point retrograde as I tell Trajectories I will and then watch the impact crosshair move as I tear through the atmosphere... :( 

I'm not sure what I'm missing... 

It's actually Angle of Attack. (Attack is relative to prograde. Attitude would be relative to horizon.)

If you're using this in a later version of KSP than the version it was built/tested against officially, something may have broke despite it still "working" superficially. If I recall, the orbit line system in KSP got revamped in 1.4.x while Trajectories is technically only 1.3.x compatible. (Assuming the thread title is accurate.) You can always take a look at the log file to see if Trajectories/KSP is complaining about anything.

I usually deal with SSTO spaceplane designs, so I just need to be "close enough" with the prediction and I'm usually Prograde anyway (AoA notwithstanding). The last time I seriously tried anything with KSP was back in 1.2.x apparently. (I dabbled a little with 1.3, but got sick of having to wait on and update mods.) I haven't touched Trajectories with 1.5.x yet due to how out of date it is.

(Side-note: SQUAD's idea of quarterly updates is, IMHO, a terrible idea. Though KSP development, in general, has been a cluster*bleep*. But I'll shut up now.)

2 hours ago, razark said:

Please explain in detail what problems you're having when using this with 1.5, so that we can help you.

it´s not stated as already compatible by the dev...... thats why i asked for a 1.5x update

ok tryed it out works on 1.5.1
------

Edited by mrvice

• 3 weeks later...

kOS seems to be having problems with trajectories.

It says that trajectories addon is unavailable while it is installed and functioning.

Is anyone else having this problem?

And does anyone have a solution?

(Also addons:tr:available doesn't return anything, could it be because I'm running on 1.5?)

48 minutes ago, Eugene Moreau said:

CKAN still shows the most recent version as 2.2.0.  Any idea when it might be updated?

Your right, its been that way for months, Probably something that needs to be mentioned in the CKAN thread so they can see why its not recognizing the update on SpaceDock.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2018 at 11:43 PM, BlackHat said:

Your right, its been that way for months, Probably something that needs to be mentioned in the CKAN thread so they can see why its not recognizing the update on SpaceDock. 

I think we might have made a mistake with the "backport" releases: we prepended the KSP version to the Trajectories version, and the CKAN robots might have gotten confused. I'll try to sort it out in the next release.

So Ive always wondered if trajectories could show me the reentry trajectory of my cm after the sm is jettisoned like you input the stage. Well just read that its not feasible, however I'm left wondering if it would be possible to load in a craft file of the cm as it would be on atmospheric reentry.

How exactly does trajectories know the dynamics of your vessel though, it sounds like something you could load by, quicksaving, jettisoning sm, copying the data that trajectories uses, hitting F9 and pasting into an input field.

13 minutes ago, Anders Kerman said:

How exactly does trajectories know the dynamics of your vessel though, it sounds like something you could load by, quicksaving, jettisoning sm, copying the data that trajectories uses, hitting F9 and pasting into an input field. 

The force calculation takes into account the temperature/density of the atmosphere, velocity, drag and lift on every part of the ship, every 2 seconds. The value for the drag depends on which other parts are attached, and the value for all of these depends on the position of the ship. The position of the ship depends on the values in the previous steps, and the values depends on the position in the previous steps, ...

There is no single value you can paste.

6 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

The force calculation takes into account the temperature/density of the atmosphere, velocity, drag and lift on every part of the ship, every 2 seconds. The value for the drag depends on which other parts are attached, and the value for all of these depends on the position of the ship. The position of the ship depends on the values in the previous steps, and the values depends on the position in the previous steps, ...

There is no single value you can paste.

What I meant was the following:

Say I have an Apollo craft and I want to see where it will land after deorbit and sm jettison. So I quicksave, deorbit, jettison sm, copy the detailes of the ship (simmilar to copying maneuver nodes where you copy a block of text containing the information only that it contains the craft file or whatever), hit F9, paste the data and instead of using the current vessel data (with sm attached), trajectories would use the copied data.

In short you tell trajectories that you're using a different craft, which is your craft in the future.

30 minutes ago, Anders Kerman said:

Say I have an Apollo craft and I want to see where it will land after deorbit and sm jettison. So I quicksave, deorbit, jettison sm, copy the detailes of the ship

No.

There used to be a mod, that would let you for example Launch a vessel into orbit. Jettisoning the first stage just before you reached orbit, continue your main craft into orbit, then the mod would save at that point and take you back in time to before the first stage was destroyed, and allow you to control it (IF you have a probe core) or watch it (if you did not) to landing or destruction, Then switch back to your save, keeping the status of the first stage (destroyed or landed) in your current save.  So you could do a Space-X type launch and land the boosters on the ground.

I have no idea what it was called, and suspect it was from back in KSP .90 (maybe as late as 1.0)

Someone else may recognize the mod and be able to name it.