[1.12.x] Trajectories v2.4.5 (2023-08-22) : atmospheric predictions

Kobymaru

Is this supposed to be compatible with the 1.6.1 version of realism overhaul and real solar system mod sets because when I use it the red cross hairs don't appear but everything else is fine but, I kind of need the red cross hairs.

Please help.

New release is up!

Version 2.2.3 for all versions of KSP from v1.3.1 to v1.7.x

Download from GitHub or Spacedock

This is simply a recompile, so no new features in this one.

About the Kopernicus issue:

We now have a mechanism for Bootstrapping the right version of Trajectories. However, I am not certain that this mechanism is needed or if we can maybe just use the same DLL for all versions. I'll discuss this with @PiezPiedPy , and we will push another featureless recompile if we decide to remove it.

Edited by Kobymaru

On 6/17/2019 at 9:57 PM, Gordon Dry said:

Above links are set to 2.2.2

Oops, sorry. Fixed now.

9 hours ago, Insanity_BK said:

So i am on the newest update "1.7.2" and i downloaded the latest version of Trajectories and it is lagging my game when launching a rocket. It will lag when the big X appears on my map. Please help!

Yes, I disabled the Cache by default. This means higher precision but worse performance. You can turn the cache back on in the settings.

On 6/20/2019 at 1:36 PM, Kobymaru said:

Oops, sorry. Fixed now.

Yes, I disabled the Cache by default. This means higher precision but worse performance. You can turn the cache back on in the settings.

Out of curiosity; What made you decide to disable the cache by default? I'm hesitant to just turn it back on since I'm guessing there's a reason you turned it off.

22 hours ago, Jognt said:

Out of curiosity; What made you decide to disable the cache by default? I'm hesitant to just turn it back on since I'm guessing there's a reason you turned it off.

The cache makes long trajectories (when you spend a lot of time in the first 10 km of the atmosphere) quite imprecise. I did some performance testing and it looked like disabling the Cache would not be too bad in terms of performance.

I didn't expect people to notice the difference too much, TBH. If using the Cache still gives you satisfactory precision, leave it on.

29 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

The cache makes long trajectories (when you spend a lot of time in the first 10 km of the atmosphere) quite imprecise. I did some performance testing and it looked like disabling the Cache would not be too bad in terms of performance.

I didn't expect people to notice the difference too much, TBH. If using the Cache still gives you satisfactory precision, leave it on.

Cheers :) 

I like precision so I’ll leave it off unless I _really_ need all the frames I can get ;) 

On 6/22/2019 at 2:36 PM, Kobymaru said:

I'm getting preformance drops from 60 fps to barely 10 fps with the cache off... Let's say it's easy to notice it. And my specs aren't bad. r5 2600 and gtx 1070.

10 hours ago, MAIPMC said:

I'm getting preformance drops from 60 fps to barely 10 fps with the cache off... Let's say it's easy to notice it. And my specs aren't bad. r5 2600 and gtx 1070.

Where were all of these performance reports when I implemented this ages ago and asked for feedback? ;)

If that's common for everybody, we'll disable it by default again. But this time I'd like to know some details first: how many parts does your craft have, how long is the trajectory?

On 6/24/2019 at 8:36 PM, Kobymaru said:

Where were all of these performance reports when I implemented this ages ago and asked for feedback? ;)

If that's common for everybody, we'll disable it by default again. But this time I'd like to know some details first: how many parts does your craft have, how long is the trajectory?

With a 200 parts craft i get as low as 8 fps on Kerbin ascent once i overpass 300 ms^2 (at not more than 5000 m) at any part of the athmosphere. Until i reach FULL orbit, this performance problem will persist no matter the lenght of the trajectory.

Keep in mind that i was doing a really vertical ascent to left the athmosfere as quickly as possible with a overpowered craft. It was not a big spaceplane making a long air breathing ascent.

Coudn't test the reentry because it took too long to orbit and didn't have time left.

Oh, and i didnt report performance problems when the changes were implemented... because i haven't played in a lot of time..

On 6/24/2019 at 8:36 PM, Kobymaru said:

Like many of us I spend more time in Notepad++ and on the forums than in game. So in my case: I haven’t played enough to know!

oooo interesting mod. I'm having some issues with the blue predictive line not keeping together with the red cross-hairs on the ground in-flight if i change direction a lot... but the actual red cross on the ground seems accurate. I especially like the change to the map view trajectory line to show where your path is within the atmosphere!

esrhgwea.png

thanks for the mod ^_^ 

ergwfe.png

If this is accurate^ then it's very handy for getting the most circularisation from my first stages while still having them low enough to de-orbit :) 

Edited by Guest

edbedrbv.png

^See what I mean about the blue line being inaccurate? is there a way to turn it off and just have the red crosshairs?

etdbhersd.png

^Can achieve super accurate landings now though! was aiming for close to the rover ^_^ 

The blue line isn't inaccurate. They both show a different thing:

The blue line show you the trajectory you will follow and where you will land relative to the current point in time ;
The red cross shows you where you will land. Meaning, by the time you've reached the end of the blue line, the planet will have rotated and you'll be on the red cross.

Try doing a deorbit burn from low kerbin orbit and set the red cross on KSC. The blue line will 'hit the water', but because the planet rotates while you're reentering, you'll land on KSC. :)

Edit: Note that vessels going through the atmosphere will only experience drag if they're actually within physics range. You can have a ship in the upper atmosphere that never reaches orbit, but as long as you don't actually load to it it will keep going in circles.
The exception is a certain pressure height that corresponds to 20km for Kerbin. Anything going below 20km without being loaded will be destroyed regardless.

Edited by Jognt

I will try the cache setting but the mod has been lagging my launches really really badly in 1.7.2.

It improves out of the atmosphere but still. Don't want to sound like a whiner. I appreciate mods and the developers that give their time

Edited by Dropbear67

Are the navball circle and square indicators supposed to be medium gray and black? 

They look more like a bugged or missing texture than a deliberate design to me, which is why I ask.

Qc8ll3L.png

Edited by tofof

Welcome to the forum @Kerbal87.

On the first post of this thread you should see download links. You can use either service:
Spacedock: https://spacedock.info/mod/396/Trajectories/download/2.2.3
Or the github link is here: https://github.com/neuoy/KSPTrajectories/releases/download/v2.2.3/Trajectories-v2.2.3.zip

Open the zip - you should see a folder called gamedata and merge that with your KSP gamedata folder and should see it in your game.

On 6/29/2019 at 10:37 AM, Dropbear67 said:

I will try the cache setting but the mod has been lagging my launches really really badly in 1.7.2.

It improves out of the atmosphere but still. Don't want to sound like a whiner. I appreciate mods and the developers that give their time

Just curious, but were you able to try with the cache setting change? If so, any difference?

I just did a quick test with a ~25 parts rocket.  Cahed mode capped out my FPS (75 due to V-sync being on), while without cached mode it dropped to 28. 

I'd say it's a HUGE performance impact, and I'm not sure there's a notable difference in accuracy.

For reference, I'm running on a Ryzen 5 2600  (no X), 16GB RAM and a GTX 970.  According to HWmonitor, both my CPU and GPU only reached ~27% utilization.  So... not working as intended?