Spoiler

v2.3.4 for all versions of KSP from 1.3.1 to 1.10.x

• 2020-07-12

Changes since the last release

• Fixed 'Invalid Cast' bug when using FAR

Edited by PiezPiedPy

On 4/6/2020 at 10:49 PM, CBase said:

Hi,

since my rocket builds that I land with Trajectories usually have some deployed control surfaces, I did stumble across some orientation issues with original lift calculation and added deploy angle for control surfaces. Cache precission and decent configuration was also something I wanted to change. Finally I extended the API to integrate with an altered MechJeb Landing autopilot.

Right now my personal build works for me, but since I do play on most recent KSP version only and actually the most important feature is v1.8+ I am not sure if a pull request is a good idea.

On 7/3/2020 at 8:22 AM, CBase said:

My additions to trajectories for this:

• include deploy angle for control surface calculations
  • fix orientation bug with up / down being wrong on retrograde entries, which affects tilted wings
  • changed reentry altitudes and sliders to allow better control between -10° AoA (low altitude) and -60° AoA (reentry)

Hi @CBase, I stalked you on GitHub and those cache changes look very interesting. Why do you think a pull request is not a good idea?

It would be really cool if we could have your stuff as pull requests (preferrably separate ones) that we can look at and review, and maybe get them fixed up so that they can be included in a release.

Edited by Kobymaru

On 7/12/2020 at 6:33 PM, PiezPiedPy said:

New release is up!

Version 2.3.4 for all versions of KSP from 1.3.1 to 1.10.x

Download from GitHub or Spacedock

Full Changelog:

Hide contents

v2.3.4 for all versions of KSP from 1.3.1 to 1.10.x

• 2020-07-12

Changes since the last release

• Fixed 'Invalid Cast' bug when using FAR

FYI, the link doesn't work. I can see this release on the release page though

Hi,

I think that your Trajectories Mod for KSP is wonderful and I thought I’d of some insights that may improve it even further.

I have designed a re-usable main stage launcher system that is mostly recoverable (some cheap drop tanks and boosters are ditched, but the main engine returns. 

The vehicle has airbrakes to control re-entry angle of attack and to slow down. The trajectory modelling. Does not seem to take deployed airbrakes into account. I have done some basic testing and the trajectory is good when airbrakes are not deployed, but the trajectory starts moving when I deploy the airbrakes.

Perhaps, airbrakes could be added to the Trajectories Mod?

Kind Regards,

Andrew Merlot

On 7/27/2020 at 4:24 PM, Nicky21 said:

Is there a way to asign a hotkey to show/hide trajectories ? The CPU load makes it that you don't always want this on.

Not at present, just the button in the Gui, put an issue on GitHub, someone might implement it one day.

Hey, first let me express my gratitude for this wonderful mod that I've been using for eons ago since the early ages of KSP.

Now it seems I have found of a weird issue, but let me explain the setup first. I've been messing with the KV (vostok alike pods from Making History), they have a custom drag cube by default, that makes them behave like aerobrakes during reentry, but in turn also make them near impossible during launches. So I removed their custom drag cube via patch, which in turn made them behave like a bullet during reentry, which wouldn't be too bad if they weren't dense like lead. So once again I fiddled a bit with them, but this time I tried out changing the drag model (which has spherical, cylindrical models apart from the default), however there is practically no documentation at all about these, apart from the fact that they exist, I just went on the assumption that they are actually working part of the revamped aero physics but just wasn't  added to virtually any part because of half baked polishing (which isn't unheard of considering this game). And fair enough the spherical model seems to have worked quite well, it tumbles around like a ball should only keeping direction because of the slight drag of the parachute cone (same as default model), but with a reasonable terminal velocity to get down safely (unlike the default model).

So here is what I wanted to ask, because I've been getting quite wild predictions with trajectories regarding this setup, because I did get a quite close prediction regarding the vessel with a blunt front (eg engine), but then it went pretty wild after eject just the pod, probably close to what would have been with the default drag model. So my first question is if the mod takes that model into consideration, and the second more general question, is if these drag models are known to work properly at all, if I should try to use them at all, or if you know if its been discussed or tested anywhere, because I literally couldn't find any info about these at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm having some trouble with this mod in 1.8.1 (installed through CKAN). The settings panel will show up on vessel load but it's not showing up on the mod panel once the vessel loads. also, the trajectory lines show up on atmosphere bodes and not atmosphere-less bodies. any fixes for these problems?

19 hours ago, TomfooleryYT said:

Hi, I'm having some trouble with this mod in 1.8.1 (installed through CKAN). The settings panel will show up on vessel load but it's not showing up on the mod panel once the vessel loads. also, the trajectory lines show up on atmosphere bodes and not atmosphere-less bodies. any fixes for these problems?

It would be helpful if you gave the version of Trajectories your using and also a link to your KSP.log file uploaded somewhere, also what do you mean by `mod panel` ? Trajectories only has an icon on the toolbar when in flight which when clicked opens the Trajectories Gui.

@TomfooleryYT Adjustable Mod Panel is showing IndexOutOfRangeException's I suggest you let them know and pass them a link to your log. I would assume this has something to do with the icon being missing.

Regarding the non-rendering of the lines on non-atmos bodies the issue is probably caused by another mod that modifies textures and/or shaders, you will have to remove mods until you find the offending mod. I suggest reading the 'CONTRIBUTING.md' file (located in the Trajectories directory) and specifically the section 'Removing Mods for Debugging'

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has already been answered but I have not been able to find the information.

When planning your reentry you can adjust the angle of attack for entry, high, low and final. What does that mean in terms of altitudes?

9 hours ago, lBoBl said:

Sorry if this has already been answered but I have not been able to find the information.

When planning your reentry you can adjust the angle of attack for entry, high, low and final. What does that mean in terms of altitudes?

Entry is from the start of the boundary of space and the atmosphere to 50% of the atmospheres depth.

High Altitude is from 50% to 25% of the atmospheres depth.

Low Altitude is from 25% to 5% of the atmospheres depth.

Final Approach is from 5% of the atmospheres depth to sea/ground level.

TBH we need a manual for Trajectories but no one has ever written one :mellow:

So I've tried using trajectories to land close to KSC but currently I am always coming up very short with the standard settings. I've tried prograde and retrograde. If I put the red X over KSC I undershoot by a lot. This last time I put it about 170km past and I ended up landing about 80km short. I am using a 2.7x system and the atmo is at 85k. Is there something I should be doing differently?

Edited by Nori

On 9/6/2020 at 3:48 AM, Sirius K said:

My game keeps getting Null Reference and Trajectories is gone from the apps bar, even after reinstalling Trajectories. version 1.10.1

Can't help without your log, upload it somewhere and pass the link.

On 9/2/2020 at 2:54 AM, Nori said:

So I've tried using trajectories to land close to KSC but currently I am always coming up very short with the standard settings. I've tried prograde and retrograde. If I put the red X over KSC I undershoot by a lot. This last time I put it about 170km past and I ended up landing about 80km short. I am using a 2.7x system and the atmo is at 85k. Is there something I should be doing differently?

Are you using any kind of braking during your descent, i.e. airbrakes, drogue chutes, retro engines ? 

As stated in the first post FAQ

• If the predicted trajectory seems inaccurate, check that you set the correct orientation in the Descent profile (or checked Prograde or Retrograde), and that you keep that orientation all the time
  • It's not possible to predict a trajectory for a future stage. We know this is a highly requested feature, but unless we duplicate big parts of the KSP-internal code, we are limited to simulating the current state of the vessel.

If not, I am going to assume it's because of your rescaled system, have you tried with a normal scaled system ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi when I enter map view, sometimes (most of the time) when im moving maneuver nodes around, the lag is absolutely unplayable.  When I checked the logs, this is whats repeated over and over:

[Trajectories] Warning: Infinite loop in map view renderer

I assume this is related to this mod.  Any ideas?