KSP Challenge: Under Pressure!

Darth Badie

2 hours ago, Physics Student said:

10^6 Points for the one that builds a giant crane to put something on there!

What about building a giant ramp to drive something up there ? :D

Might attempt it if I have time tonight :)

Okay ... here's my entry. First I measured the roof of the VAB. Then I decided I wanted to spread the mass over a large surface area. The VAB is roughly 80x80 meters. The wider and longer my contraption, the easier to control so it wasn't much smaller than that. The design didn't need to rely on reaction wheels, rocket engines and vernors was enough.
JWWltww.png

As you can see, the mass I landed is 1200t. Much more is possible.

fPWQa3l.png

Because @Physics Student wanted a crane to put something up there, I went for this:

D17CkhK.png

cic4iLA.png

7TzS16E.png

... a potted plant.

Hey, you didn't specify what you wanted :-P

All: no copying my design. You come up with your own solution :-P :-P

Edited by Azimech

OK, I think this one I'm going for pure eye-candy and landing my airship, the Annabel Lee, at night... just because it looks so cool!!!  

Oh, I'm using lots of mods for this, but indestructible is turned off.

ES0scUG.png

lybhzcW.png

aPS89Pj.png

gDwozCO.png

mjTpZo5.png

55QI4Wj.png

X5QCmd2.png

QL68yWp.png

kFFFYIn.png

3 minutes ago, The Space Dino said:

Is this with indestructible buildings? Because in my experiences 777tons kills the VAB.

I landed mine with destructible buildings, and 1200 tons does not kill the VAB. What is the medium you're using for landing? As you can see, I'm using 12 heavy landing gear.

6 hours ago, Azimech said:

I landed mine with destructible buildings, and 1200 tons does not kill the VAB. What is the medium you're using for landing? As you can see, I'm using 12 heavy landing gear.

Oh wow, I put my craft on a couple of mainsail engines, I guess I should spread out the weight (like you did) 

But with my horrid flying skills I don't have high hopes (for now)

7 hours ago, The Space Dino said:

Is this with indestructible buildings? Because in my experiences 777tons kills the VAB.

it was with destructible building (lastest KSP version), i get some fails , but because of your previous post i pay attention of my landing speed , seem to be OK with 1.8m/s.

6m/s or more is definitively not OK

you may got some issues with flabby rocket , this make some oscillation and because of the mass of our rocket => VAB in fire...

i use a lot of struct to get my rocket rigid

So far no success for me yet but I have a workable design, just that my flying skills aren't good enough. I also have another 1k ton design, but it has yet to reach the VAB...

Tip for heavy designs, landing gear is effective at protecting the VAB. Btw is there anything different from the VAB in 1.3 as I'm running on 1.0.5

14 minutes ago, The Space Dino said:

So far no success for me yet but I have a workable design, just that my flying skills aren't good enough. I also have another 1k ton design, but it has yet to reach the VAB...

Tip for heavy designs, landing gear is effective at protecting the VAB. Btw is there anything different from the VAB in 1.3 as I'm running on 1.0.5

Between 1.0.5 and 1.3 ... they've redecorated the bathrooms, installed new plumping and replaced the bathroom's plaster/cardboard roof with a steel one after too many engineers used the toilets as personal launch facilities. Other than that, I don't think so.

My first VTOL is a conversion of my most reliable aircraft. Landing this plane on the VAB is one of the most terrifying things I've ever done in KSP. Nearly ran out of monopropellant too.

Cockatoo%20II-V%20(3).png

(100% stock and destructible buildings)

* Forgot the weight photo *

Cockatoo%20II-V%20(0).png

Edited by Spoo Hunter
Added weight photo

1 hour ago, Spoo Hunter said:

My first VTOL is a conversion of my most reliable aircraft. Landing this plane on the VAB is one of the most terrifying things I've ever done in KSP. Nearly ran out of monopropellant too.

Cockatoo%20II-V%20(3).png

(100% stock and destructible buildings)

Making a 1000 ton craft that is controllable with my horrid flying skills land on top of the VAB without obliterating it is the hard part for me...

So I decided to go a slightly different route. I thought it might be worth a few extra points if I were to land a conventional plane on the VAB roof; in other words, one that is not a VTOL in any form. After several different design attempts, this was the largest traditional plane I was able to make that I could land on top of the VAB. It weighs 41.63 tonnes and took me a few tries to finally stick the landing. As you can see, I had to use up the whole pad, but she's on there!

DyfJ611.png

3m8L3Qx.png

xOXJnKw.png

cBoVdEv.png

Cheers!

Edited by Rezolution

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.