Fewest Solid Motors to the Mun

I was playing around with free-return trajectories for this challenge and it set me thinking: what's the lowest number of solid rocket motors needed to get to the Mun and back?

Not a Mun landing, mind you; cislunar space is enough. In theory, I think you could make it into a free-return trajectory with just two SRB burns: suborbital spaceflight for the first one, and circularization+lunar injection with the second one. It would take a lot of timing, design, and careful planning, but it could be done. 

And if that's possible, then in theory you could enter and leave Munar orbit with only one additional SRB burn.

So here's the challenge: get a Kerbal into cislunar space and return safely using only SRBs. No RCS, but reaction wheels are fine. Whoever can do it with the fewest SRBs wins!

• Basic mode: Munar flyby
  • Advanced mode: Munar free-return
  • Expert mode: Munar orbit
  • Ludicrous mode: Munar landing

Good luck!

25 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

I think because you can't prove you didn't use the RCS for propulsion.

So put a limit as to how much monoprop you carry.

And, it's possible to position RCS thrusters so they only go sideways.

And besides, most of these are on the honor system anyway

I'd rather carry monoprop than batteries, solar panels, etc

25 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I getcha, but RCS provides propulsion whether you want it to or not. Just by turning it on you can often watch your Ap/Pe change slightly; without even steering in any direction. Reaction wheels, on the other hand, provide control without propulsion. Which is why some people consider them OP. For this challenge, they make sense because SRB's provide propulsion without control. So the two are a perfect match. This challenge seems to be all about timing (setting thrust and fuel limits possibly on the SRB's) and navigation. It sounds pretty cool, but I'm not sure if I'll get to it right away. If I can, though, I'll accept the challenge and give it a shot. I think it'll be fun. And pretty tough, too.

It sounds like a fun challenge if I get some time I'll probably stop make an attempt. But, I think I'll create another challenge which will be the same thing only no reaction wheels only monoprop for control and see, but I'll hold off on that for a few days

Interesting challenge! I successfully completed "expert mode" with 6 SRBs. I may give it another go. I didn't try very hard to reduce mass and I missed the part about entering/leaving orbit in a single burn. I thought the craft actually had to complete an orbit.

Challenge accepted. This was only a test(I forgot the parachute :o:o:o:o:o and i didn't put the Kerbal in the External seat)

Anyway I made Basic and Advanced Mode with only 4 SRB. The same rocket can also do Expert mode

16 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:
17 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I getcha, but RCS provides propulsion whether you want it to or not. Just by turning it on you can often watch your Ap/Pe change slightly; without even steering in any direction. Reaction wheels, on the other hand, provide control without propulsion. Which is why some people consider them OP. For this challenge, they make sense because SRB's provide propulsion without control. So the two are a perfect match. This challenge seems to be all about timing (setting thrust and fuel limits possibly on the SRB's) and navigation. It sounds pretty cool, but I'm not sure if I'll get to it right away. If I can, though, I'll accept the challenge and give it a shot. I think it'll be fun. And pretty tough, too.

If you want, I'll allow infinite electricity for your reaction wheels. The Cap'n is right; this is about timing, design, and navigation; no reason to worry about adding batteries and solar panels.

11 minutes ago, CairoJack said:

Challenge accepted. This was only a test(I forgot the parachute :o:o:o:o:o and i didn't put the Kerbal in the External seat)

Anyway I made Basic and Advanced Mode with only 4 SRB. The same rocket can also do Expert mode

Fantastic entry! I'm close to being able to get Advanced Mode with 2 SRBs but I haven't gotten it perfect yet. Once you get the Kerbal safely back to Kerbin I'll put you on the leaderboard.

14 hours ago, foobar said:

Interesting challenge! I successfully completed "expert mode" with 6 SRBs. I may give it another go. I didn't try very hard to reduce mass and I missed the part about entering/leaving orbit in a single burn. I thought the craft actually had to complete an orbit.

Great job. And nice move burning radial. You don't have to enter and leave orbit on a single burn but it definitely can save you a whole SRB.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.