[1.12.x] Loading Screen Manager

linuxgurugamer

• 1 month later...

Hi,

it seems that this mod increased my loading time from a few minutes to about 90 minutes.

Is such a behaviour already known or worth a closer investigation by me?

Noticed it on a heavy modded game (100+ mods).

But also in nearly stock it takes about a second for every file (audio, model texture) to load with this mod installed instead of a few milliseconds without it.

KSPVersion was 1.3.1.

Edit: I just noticed that the version with only a few mods was 1.4.2. in fact (installed through ckan). But the one with many mods was 1.3.1.

Edited by BlueTiger12

On 4/9/2018 at 6:28 PM, BlueTiger12 said:

Hi,

it seems that this mod increased my loading time from a few minutes to about 90 minutes.

Is such a behaviour already known or worth a closer investigation by me?

Noticed it on a heavy modded game (100+ mods).

But also in nearly stock it takes about a second for every file (audio, model texture) to load with this mod installed instead of a few milliseconds without it.

KSPVersion was 1.3.1.

Edit: I just noticed that the version with only a few mods was 1.4.2. in fact (installed through ckan). But the one with many mods was 1.3.1.

Never saw this before.  My game, with 240 mods, including this one, takes about 5 minutes to load (max)

• 2 weeks later...

First, let me say thank you for all your hard work(I don't see how you do it myself...that is a LOT of mods to support).

Is there something I'm missing? I can't get this to mix and mingle with the default loading screens?

I just didn't see any other posts about it and was wondering if I was the only one having trouble with this aspect of it.

6 hours ago, Divstator said:

First, let me say thank you for all your hard work(I don't see how you do it myself...that is a LOT of mods to support).

Is there something I'm missing? I can't get this to mix and mingle with the default loading screens?

I just didn't see any other posts about it and was wondering if I was the only one having trouble with this aspect of it.

How did you install it?

a log file would help

Well, I wasn't really pursuing help just yet, which is why there wasn't a log file. I was just kinda tipping my toe in the water of 1.4.2, at least as far as a "modded" 1.4.2 version goes. I couldn't get it to behave on 1.3.1 either though, which is why I asked if it was me or not. I usually run quite a few mods, 100-150 and 1.4.2 was having a lot of issues with many of them. So I deleted that install and decided to just wait for it to mature a bit. Unfortunately, that deleted the log file as well. However I am having the issue on 1.3.1 as well.

All were installed via CKAN. I have many installations of KSP and none of them are in the default parent directory(can't cause Steam will overwrite it if I do that). 

I am running a new game with it installed now and will submit that log file after it loads up(with LSM reinstalled through CKAN). The only pictures I get during load up are those in  screenshots folder. I dunno if it has anything to do with it or not, it seems to me you take an educated guess at the length of load time / number of screenshots for display fade in and out to cure the last one from repeating. I have like 5 ss' that display for maybe a minute a piece. due to extensive addons my game takes roughly 5 -10 minutes to load.

Make no mistake, I have sliced and diced my install a LOT, so there are bound to be MANY issues with it. Hence why I asked if anyone else was having the problem before I got lost in the black hole that is my install.

I will send the link to log file in PM.

Also, the logo screen seems to be showing properly as well.

Edited by Divstator

11 hours ago, Divstator said:

I am running a new game with it installed now and will submit that log file after it loads up(with LSM reinstalled through CKAN). The only pictures I get during load up are those in  screenshots folder. I dunno if it has anything to do with it or not, it seems to me you take an educated guess at the length of load time / number of screenshots for display fade in and out to cure the last one from repeating. I have like 5 ss' that display for maybe a minute a piece. due to extensive addons my game takes roughly 5 -10 minutes to load.

If you haven't specified any folders to load images from, it uses the Screenshots folder as a source.

Regarding the loading time, there is an option "Adjust Display Time every game start", which, if enabled, forces LSM to adjust the timing after each game start.  The default display time is 5 seconds, I think

To specify Image folders, you need to open the mod, there should be a toolbar button in the upper right when you are at the Main Menu

8 hours ago, Divstator said:

That is the part I can't get to work. I checked the button, but the original loading screens arn't in the rotation as best as I can tell.

How many images do you have in your screenshots folder?  Maybe there are just too many

I have 5.

I was looking through my log file and came upon this line.

File 'E:/Games/Kerbal Space Program/KSPx64_1_3_1 - Aviation/GameData/LoadingScreenManager/Plugins/PluginData/LoadingScreenManager/LoadingScreenManager.cfg' does not exist

That path is incorrect for my install.

The path should be:

File 'E:/Games/Kerbal Space Program/KSPx64_1_3_1 - Aviation/GameData/LoadingScreenManager/PluginData/LoadingScreenManager/LoadingScreenManager.cfg' does not exist

I just don't know if that line is relevant or not.

Well, I tried copy the config file into the path listed above, but it didn't change anything.

Thanks anyways for trying to help. :)

Edited by Divstator

• 1 month later...

Hello @linuxgurugamer

1st: Thanks for this mod - as someone mentioned earlier, it makes taking all those screenshots worthwhile.

2nd: Thanks for all the modding you do - you are a god!

3rd: I do have a small problem:

Everytime I start KSP, this mod seems to recalculate the displayTime value in the LoadingScreenManager.cfg. I might set it to 20 and the next time I look it is at 10.3452 or 17.965065, or some other value. Sometimes it is so low that the pictures end up changing so quickly that the totalSlides figure is exceeded and I just see the same image flashing every 3 or 4 seconds for ages (it takes 11 minutes for KSP to load on my machine).

Is there an easy solution for this? Have I set something up incorrectly? Or is this a bug?
My current config looks like:

Spoiler

debugLogging = False
dumpScreens = False
dumpTips = False
totalSlides = 20
includeOriginalScreens = True
forceSlideshowWithNoImageFiles = False
displayTime = 17.965065
fadeInTime = 0.5
fadeOutTime = 0.5
tipTime = 10
tipsFile =
includeOriginalTips = True
neverShowAgain = False
adjustDisplayTime = True
logoScreen =
logoTip =
FOLDER
{
    path = Screenshots/
    fileMasks = *.png;*.jpg
    ignoreSubfolders = False
}

1 hour ago, Antipodes said:

Hello @linuxgurugamer

1st: Thanks for this mod - as someone mentioned earlier, it makes taking all those screenshots worthwhile.

2nd: Thanks for all the modding you do - you are a god!

3rd: I do have a small problem:

Everytime I start KSP, this mod seems to recalculate the displayTime value in the LoadingScreenManager.cfg. I might set it to 20 and the next time I look it is at 10.3452 or 17.965065, or some other value. Sometimes it is so low that the pictures end up changing so quickly that the totalSlides figure is exceeded and I just see the same image flashing every 3 or 4 seconds for ages (it takes 11 minutes for KSP to load on my machine).

Is there an easy solution for this? Have I set something up incorrectly? Or is this a bug?
My current config looks like:

Reveal hidden contents

debugLogging = False
dumpScreens = False
dumpTips = False
totalSlides = 20
includeOriginalScreens = True
forceSlideshowWithNoImageFiles = False
displayTime = 17.965065
fadeInTime = 0.5
fadeOutTime = 0.5
tipTime = 10
tipsFile =
includeOriginalTips = True
neverShowAgain = False
adjustDisplayTime = True
logoScreen =
logoTip =
FOLDER
{
    path = Screenshots/
    fileMasks = *.png;*.jpg
    ignoreSubfolders = False
}

It recalcs every time based on the last loading time.

But there are a couple of bugs which I need to fix.

The option to NOT do the autorecalc is not working.  It is in the settings, and is called "Adjust Display Time every game start"

I'll try to get this done this week

See below

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 6/3/2018 at 3:06 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

new release, 1.2.5

• Fixed option which disabled the auto-adjust
  • Fixed auto-adjust to properly change time

Woo-hoo!!! Thanks, I will try this out tonight.

edit:

Yep - It works

Edited by Antipodes

• 2 months later...

Is there any way to move the LSM icon on the start screen?  I ask because the S.A.V.E. mod also puts its command bar into the upper right corner of the screen and, although I can open LSM, I have to click on the rightmost S.A.V.E button and it clicks through.

There is currently no configuration option in S.A.V.E. to move it's command bar nor is it dragable.  I don't know if there are cfg files that might place either your icon or Nereid's UI.

Edited by Brigadier
Clarification

15 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Is there any way to move the LSM icon on the start screen?  I ask because the S.A.V.E. mod also puts its command bar into the upper right corner of the screen and, although I can open LSM, I have to click on the rightmost S.A.V.E button and it clicks through.

There is currently no configuration option in S.A.V.E. to move it's command bar nor is it dragable.  I don't know if there are cfg files that might place either your icon or Nereid's UI.

Not really, it's using the stock toolbar

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Trekkie148 said:

by any chance can this change the loading time for the game to load?

The game already runs through a list of images and tags to display, I seriously doubt it will have a significant impact.

It's easy to test, though.  With your install of choice, start the game and record the times to main menu several times, with and without LSM installed.  Don't include the time for the restart right after you change the configuration since MM will have to rebuild the cache.

Edited by Brigadier
Poor grammar

2 hours ago, Brigadier said:

The game already runs through a list of images and tags to display, I seriously doubt it will have a significant impact.

It's easy to test, though.  With your install of choice, start the game and record the times to main menu several time, with and without LSM installed.  Don't include the time for the restart right after you change the configuration since MM will have to rebuild the cache.

ok thanks. 

Edited by Trekkie148

3 hours ago, Brigadier said:

It's easy to test, though.  With your install of choice, start the game and record the times to main menu several time, with and without LSM installed.  Don't include the time for the restart right after you change the configuration since MM will have to rebuild the cache.

so if i run the game and then after the loading screens with the mod installed and then quit with no mods installed besides LSM, then if i were to install the realism overhaul mods then it would be the same loading time?

1 minute ago, Trekkie148 said:

so if i run the game and then after the loading screens with the mod installed and then quit with no mods installed besides LSM, then if i were to install the realism overhaul mods then it would be the same loading time?

If I understand you, you want to test with and without Realism Overhaul (RO) mods.  Adding RO will definitely add to the load time, which is not the same as asking (in the LSM thread) whether LSM increases KSP load time.  If you want to see the effect of LSM, make that the only mod you add or remove.

Then again, I may be misunderstanding what you're asking.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.