the steam summer sale is live

invision

I took the Bethesda bundle that was around $65.

i've also decided I'm going record myself playing the older games from that bundle with no preparation and see how far I get before I get a Game Over.

starting with the the FPS that made the genera, "Wolfenstien 3D".

Brief summer sale game review: Interplanetary

It's a "Scorched Earth" clone wearing a KSP skin. The playing field is a solar system in which each player controls a planet, and the goal is to bombard your enemies into oblivion. The orbital mechanics look superficially nice (and notably N-body instead of patched conics) but are extensively faked for gameplay reasons. E.g., if you fire a projectile at an enemy planet on a Hohmann transfer, it gets there within one turn, during which the planets move only a few tens of degrees in their orbits. Similarly, each turn appears to last a few weeks based on the orbital distances covered, but the attacks you can launch are controlled by your weapons' orientation at a single instant in time (waiting a few hours for the planet's rotation to align your other laser isn't an option). And while projections of future orbital paths are shown, they only consider the current positions of the planets. You can feel like a planetary defense force, but don't hope to experience how it would "really" work.

The non-orbital elements of the game are fun enough but not particularly novel. You build mines and power plants on your planet to generate resources. To see targets on enemy planets, you need to build telescopes, which they can counter by building anti-telescope buildings. There are several kinds of weapons with different pros and cons. A conventional tech tree unlocks access to buildings and building upgrades. Each player starts with 5 cities that act like your hit points, lose them all and it's game over.

Overall, the gameplay feels slightly incomplete. You can't build new cities, so you can circumvent the telescope arms race by getting one look at the enemy's cities and memorizing their locations. There are non-inhabited planetoids, but you can't build bases on them, so all they do is make aiming a bit more gravitationally complicated. There's no mechanic for diplomacy or alliances that I could find. The UI could use some polish. But it was still fun to try to hit planets with missiles while scrambling to build up an industrial base and balance offense against defense.

Edited by HebaruSan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.