135 members have voted

1. 1. How many do you have

• Stock
    • 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • 20+

I don't mod my KSP heavily because eventually having so many ruins the feel of the original game for me. I have a few parts packs: SpaceY and KPBS, but other than that I don't bother much with mods because they make the game feel blander than it really is. Besides that, all I have installed is KER (it should be stock, like people have said, OPM, which some people consider to be stock, and Scatterer.

None, unless you count the folder I made for my custom flag as a "mod."

A big part of the fun of KSP for me is to try to solve problems using a limited set of tools, and that's lost if I can just mod in extra tools whenever I need them. I might try a modded career eventually, but only after I feel like I've mastered the stock game.

My KSP gamedata folder contains:

Mandatory mods:

-GN Drive: replenishable propulsion unit for going anywhere

-Heat resistant parts: for when I'm doing something nuts about reentry

-Tweakscale: more possibility in design

Optional mods:

-OPT spaceplanes (including legacy pack) and SXT: more parts for aesthetics

-BD armory and North Kerbin Dynamic: when I'm bored and wants to blow things up (when 1500 ton rocket exploding is still not kerbal enough)

Edited by ARS

in my 1.3 install.. 58. 

They're there for a selection of reasons.

Stock system is too small, OPM adds a lot more places to go, and getting there takes a lot more planning since solar panels don't work that far out, and flight times are measured in decades. TAC lifesupport makes long duration kerballed missions much more interesting, since you need to figure out how to feed them. There's a few part packs to go along with this. Near future tech, DMagic orbital sciences, Scansat.

KIS/KAS for fixing up simple mistakes and expanding stations (I don't get a lot of use out of these tbh).

Visual and audio overhauls improve the look and sound of the game.

And lots of extra data, KER, Transfer window planner, precise node, they all add lots of information that's very useful as soon as you leave Kerbin SOI

Why? for challenge and realism mostly. I got bored with the stock game.

78 currently and that is after I removed a few I don't feel are needed in 1.3x.

Why? I believe it's already been said. KSP is good, but it misses a lot of features that I am really surprised weren't considered for stock. In some cases it's because I just want a bit more variety and options, I also like making planes so many packs are plane packs.

Currently only using a couple of 'must have's - KAC and MJ.

Why - because they take the tedium out of routine operations.  Why not more - because it's a pain keeping them all up to date when I'm not spending all my time in KSP at the moment.

Giving RO a try. RO+RSS along with the required plugins consists of 10-20 foldered mods (I am using CKAN) and another batch of recommended ones. Then come 30-40 part mods and at least 10 utility plugins (KER, MJ, etc...). 88 mod folders in GameData in total.

Loading takes 20-30 minutes and ingame loading times (VAB/SPH to Launch, Space Center to VAB/SPH or TS, Map View) are noticeably long (Editor to Launch worst at a minute or so, SC to Editor around 10s, the last one less). However, inflight performance is relatively good. Game is playable but requires patience.

Not very many compared to others as I like to stay close to the spirit of the game as published.

The mods I do have are mostly to supplement gameplay, rather than change it.  I use Kerbal Alarm Clock, Engineer Redux, Docking Port Alignment (this one because I find it more intuitive than using the navball when docking), and Kerbal Joint Reinforcement to cure the wet noodle rocket syndrome.

I also use Hyperedit to help with placing craft when testing a concept.

Mechjeb and (as of recently) Ven's Stock Revamp. That's it. I used to use a few visual mods and stuff like chatterer, but a few caused performance issues for me so I tend to run mod-light nowadays.

Now my Skyrim install, on the other hand, is more mod than game at this point. :D

Edited by moogoob
felt like it

On 23.06.2017 at 3:44 PM, 322997am said:

So I want to know why do you use certain mods.

SVE - Because I like the game to have some personality isntead of blank planets with no atmosphere effects. You'd think clouds would be a thing. Guess Squad thought it would be too revolutionary for our time.

Chatterer (+ extension pack) - Because a game without ambiance looses a lot and I quite like to hear things. Maybe Squad wanted to make the game more for those with hearing issues. So they chose to put as little sound in it as possible.

Transfer window planner - Yeah, because not even real space programs operate without something of this kind, so the fact that it is missing is rather poor.

Alarm smth smth I forgot the name - Because I like to have multiple ships in space and would not want to forget to adjust their orbits when I get to do other things.

Kerbal Engineer - Because having fuel units and weight displayed without more details about how a ship will perform is stupid. Either you go full science and math about it or you simplify your game. Making your game half math, half guesswork sucks, hopefully they can see that.

I miss one mod, called RCS Build, which allowed you to switch between COM full vs empty so that you didn't have to empty 20 tanks like a complete retard every time you added or tweaked your space plane. Why this isn't a default, I don't understand. Again, half math, half guesswork.

So to sum up why I use mods? Because the developers forget important details. And don't seem to be interested in implementing them either.

Also, Squad, please, can you please, fix your wings already? Create actual wings, with lift, don't go half math, half nonsense with everything. And allow them to be tweaked in size so that you don't need to add so many parts to make something useful.

Edited by mystik

24 minutes ago, mystik said:

I miss one mod, called RCS Build, which allowed you to switch between COM full vs empty so that you didn't have to empty 20 tanks like a complete retard every time you added or tweaked your space plane. Why this isn't a default, I don't understand. Again, half math, half guesswork.

You're in luck, there is a unofficial build for 1.3

Only a few.

dozen.

To tune the difficulty of going places to where I want it: Sigma Dimensions (with the GPP-bundled 3.2x rescale), Real Fuels-Stockalike, TAC LS, and FAR.

To make me think about how to power and communicate with my probes: RemoteTech2

To power my probes in the most distant reaches of the Ciro system: Near Future solar/electrical. Those reactors man.

To let my probes execute maneuvers without direct control: kOS. Still don't know how to use the actual RemoteTech flight computer. Besides, I'm not sure that flight computer knows how to do ullage properly.

For information during vehicle construction and as a second "can't bother to do this manually" tool: MechJeb and AmpYear.

For additional rocket parts: almost all of NecroBones's suite, KW Rocketry, others I may be forgetting.

For ISRU: a combination of Karbonite, SCANSat, Starwaster's Heat Pump mod*, KIS/KAS, and numerous MM configs of my own writing.

*Gotta keep all that freshly mined hydrolox from boiling off, ya know.

To make science more interesting: SCANsat (again), DMagic's Orbital Science, CactEye, and most recently, the Surface Experiment Pack.

Even the abridged list is a fair lot, most of which comes from having decided to play at > 1x scale, and then finding I needed things to run my missions with that and all the other realism/difficulty mods I've loaded myself down with.

Edited by Starman4308

20+ (currently 38) but no new parts or mechanism changes except for porkjet's revamped parts (which is a semi-official mod) and Persistent Rotation.

Most of my mods are instruments (KER, DPAI, Better Burn Time etc.) and effects (Chatterer, EVE, Distant Object Enhancement etc.). And I use Module Manager to remove those parts added by mods (like KER) to ensure my crafts are stock compatible (again, except for porkjet's semi-official parts).

I usually have three versions of KSP on hand, 

1. The RO experience. 

This is usually the super modded Realism Overhaul+RealSolarSystem build of KSP with all the works. 

2. "Stock"

Now when I say stock, I mean with a ton of mods like FAR, MJ2, PWings (b9 and crzyrndm), LS, tons of parts mods, pTanks (mostly because I don't like stacking ~2 tanks on the first stage when I can have one smooth tank. 

Basically a run-of-the-mill modded save. 

3. Bone stock

This is a stock version of KSP where I run for bug reports and testing, sometimes I'll add a mod in as to double check a problem I'm having. This is usually when Experimentals are running though. 

1 hour ago, TheKosmonaut said:

I usually have three versions of KSP on hand, 

I have three as well, but for slightly different reasons.

1) Completely stock... mostly this is a backup, but I've used it for "stock-only" challenges on occasion.

2) Modded... self-explanatory. I have around 20-25 right now.

3) Emiko Station. Because it's gotten to be such a big thing, and I've run into.... complications.... with upgrades and such in the past, I now keep one additional copy specifically modded for playing and writing Emiko Station only.

@Just Jim oh, yeah I have .zip files for stock only builds of KSP all the way back to .14, I think. Keep them tucked nice and safe in my archives. I also have the modded versions of those saves on hand too. It's kind of heart-warming to see my earliest builds (they were so bad). Either way, those all make for great back-ups too. 

12 minutes ago, TheKosmonaut said:

@Just Jim oh, yeah I have .zip files for stock only builds of KSP all the way back to .14, I think. Keep them tucked nice and safe in my archives. I also have the modded versions of those saves on hand too. It's kind of heart-warming to see my earliest builds (they were so bad). Either way, those all make for great back-ups too. 

Oh, neat! I didn't start playing until around version 0.90 or so... but I've seen video of the earliest builds, and they do look rather amusing.  :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.