[1.12.x] Smartstage, intelligent VAB reset button

linuxgurugamer

With @xytovl's approval, I'm adopting this mod.  Original thread is here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/74782-

The new version for KSP 1.4.1 has new dependencies

New Dependencies

CKAN has been updated to install the dependencies, if needed.

Have you ever tried to build a massive asparagus rocket and messed up the staging ?

Here is SmartStage, just put many tanks, decouplers, fuel lines and engines, click the magic "Smartstage" button and optimal staging is done.

The plugin only rearranges stages, no part is added or removed..

Downloads

Source code:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/SmartStage

Spacedock: https://spacedock.info/mod/1423/SmartStage

License: GPLv3

Example of staging with default reset button:

8GPM8rv.jpg

Example of Smart stage staging:

qjo1XYf.png

Sources are available at https://github.com/xytovl/SmartStage under GPLv3, feel free to submit improvements.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

6 hours ago, KerbMav said:

I meant, what is being simulated? A launch straight up? With atmosphere?

I don't think the code is really accurate now (post-1.0), it simulates a gravity turn as per default mechjeb settings, with atmospheric settings of the selected planet. There is no circularization, it keeps pushing prograde after the end of the gravity turn.

The rationale for it was that initially the atmosphere could change fuel consumption and affect the staging decision. Don't rely on it too much, it used to have several percent differences in delta-v compared to the actual game.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer I just tested this on 1.4.2, and all seems good to me. I was going to fork and send a pull request updating the version number for CKAN, but before I do - there's not much to operating this mod, are there any specific tests I should be performing?

13 minutes ago, Rohaq said:

@linuxgurugamer I just tested this on 1.4.2, and all seems good to me. I was going to fork and send a pull request updating the version number for CKAN, but before I do - there's not much to operating this mod, are there any specific tests I should be performing?

Don’t bother with the PR, while it may work well , there are some internal changes I need to make, but its nice to know it works.

17 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Don’t bother with the PR, while it may work well , there are some internal changes I need to make, but its nice to know it works.

Fair enough, looking forward to it!

Ah yep, looks like I found one of those tweaks: It properly stages the asparagus section at the bottom, then just stages everything above the first stack decoupler in the last stage; nuclear engine, parachutes, all the decouplers, everything. Rapid planned disassembly! :)

Unless I'm missing something in my construction, of course?

In the meantime, I'll patiently wait for any incoming updates!

7 hours ago, Rohaq said:

Ah yep, looks like I found one of those tweaks: It properly stages the asparagus section at the bottom, then just stages everything above the first stack decoupler in the last stage; nuclear engine, parachutes, all the decouplers, everything. Rapid planned disassembly! :)

Unless I'm missing something in my construction, of course?

In the meantime, I'll patiently wait for any incoming updates!

This was updated a few days ago.

If you are having problems, post a link to the craft file, a picture of a craft is useless

4 hours ago, Rohaq said:

I'm definitely on the latest version, I'll try and put together a test craft tonight.

Ok, but keep in mind that this tool makes a best guess, and it is fairly easy to confuse it.  

You should always double-check the staging

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, but keep in mind that this tool makes a best guess, and it is fairly easy to confuse it.  

You should always double-check the staging

Oh I do :) 

Here's a couple of craft I made with stock parts only, with and without a fairing for the sake of testing. It correctly stages the asparagus bottom stages, then throws everything above the first stack decoupler into the top stage:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FtnS5WW6vDkhfJK3LNwwkjXqDsdJt6dm/view?usp=sharing

On 4/9/2018 at 4:12 PM, Rohaq said:

Oh I do :) 

Here's a couple of craft I made with stock parts only, with and without a fairing for the sake of testing. It correctly stages the asparagus bottom stages, then throws everything above the first stack decoupler into the top stage:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FtnS5WW6vDkhfJK3LNwwkjXqDsdJt6dm/view?usp=sharing

According to KerbalX, these craft contain parts from the following mods:

• B9 Aerospace Parts Pack
  • B9.Engine.T2.SRBS from B9 Aerospace Parts Pack x 12
  • Fuel Tanks Plus
  • TPdecoupler1m from Fuel Tanks Plus x 1
  • TPtank1mL01875-Nuke from Fuel Tanks Plus x 1
  • TPtank2mL05625 from Fuel Tanks Plus x 1
  • KW Rocketry
  • KW1mNoseCone from KW Rocketry x 6
  • KW1mtankL4 from KW Rocketry x 6

Please redo them with only stock parts.  If it turns out to be a specific mod, then let me know which one it is, but I'm not going to spend time on this until you've done this, I don't have a lot of time right now

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

According to KerbalX, these craft contain parts from the following mods:

• B9 Aerospace Parts Pack
  • B9.Engine.T2.SRBS from B9 Aerospace Parts Pack x 12
  • Fuel Tanks Plus
  • TPdecoupler1m from Fuel Tanks Plus x 1
  • TPtank1mL01875-Nuke from Fuel Tanks Plus x 1
  • TPtank2mL05625 from Fuel Tanks Plus x 1
  • KW Rocketry
  • KW1mNoseCone from KW Rocketry x 6
  • KW1mtankL4 from KW Rocketry x 6

Please redo them with only stock parts.  If it turns out to be a specific mod, then let me know which one it is, but I'm not going to spend time on this until you've done this, I don't have a lot of time right now

Dang, I thought I got them all. This is what I get for not playing for months and only playing after a big update!

I'll build another with stock parts and post it if it has the same issues. If it doesn't, I'll try and track down the culprit and let you know. I appreciate you look after a ton of mods, and I'd rather not waste your time either!

Edited by Rohaq

I found the offending part - I swapped out each non-Squad part one by one for stock. It was the KW Rocketry SA-4 LFT fuel tank (KW1mtankL4 in your list). Oddly, in one of the stages that SmartStage calculated correctly.

Confirmed working craft files here - one stock, one with the same parts as before, but with the offending fuel tank swapped out for stock - SmartStage handles both correctly (although it would be nice if it separated out drogue chutes from main chutes, but that's unrelated :wink: ): https://drive.google.com/file/d/12V6hj8jOwpDixs-WXNKU70HaDZKGVQa5/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Rohaq

1 minute ago, Rohaq said:

I found the offending part - I swapped out each non-Squad part one by one for stock. It was the KW Rocketry SA-4 LFT fuel tank (KW1mtankL4 in your list). Oddly, in one of the stages that SmartStage calculated correctly.

Confirmed working craft files here - one stock, one with the same parts as before, but with the offending fuel tank swapped out for stock: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12V6hj8jOwpDixs-WXNKU70HaDZKGVQa5/view?usp=sharing

Ok, so I'll look at that tank to see what's different