What do you think KSC recovery team looks like?

ARS

In real life, space agencies have recovery team that handles capsules, spacecraft or rockets that returned back to earth, such as the recovery ships and helicopters owned by NASA (that recovers jettisoned space shuttle's SRBs, or picking up crew from returned space capsules in the middle of the ocean) or those ground units and helicopters that's owned by Russian that handles crew recovery whenever soyuz capsule or their probes/ rocket parts returned (mostly) in the middle of desert. In your imagination, what KSC recovery team looks like? I mean, in real life, they only handle small capsules, probes, rocket stages and crew that can simply transported by a vehicle ranging from pickup truck to a cargo ship, but in KSP, we're talking about a recovery team that must handle a recovery operation when the player decided to land a gigantic 500 ton space station monstrosity in the middle of north poles. Sure, we can just click "recover vessel" on top the screen, but imagine what their recovery looks like. Obviously, it's not gonna be a small chopper and some dudes on pickup trucks, it's like I'm thinking they have a much more advanced technology to handle their recovery than the one they use to send stuff into space

What about you? What do you think?

14 minutes ago, ARS said:

I'm thinking they have a much more advanced technology to handle their recovery

The entire planet of Kerbin is covered in doors. When a ship lands, a section of these doors open and the ship drops down onto a giant trampoline, which pivots down onto a conveyor belt. These conveyor belts take the rocket to one of several hyperloops (positioned at every single latitude and longitude line) and then the landed pieces are transported at speeds of up to 1km/s back to the KSC.

Either that or they have teleporters. Why don't they use them to get into space? I have no idea.

23 minutes ago, Snark said:

A giant worm-like creature comes burrowing up from below and swallows it.  I'm picturing Dune sandworms, here, or something like the arrival of a Nydus Worm from Starcraft.  :)

Damn, that thing is HUGE! Is that from a game? Bcs I know about the nydus worm from starcraft

5 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Either that or they have teleporters. Why don't they use them to get into space? I have no idea.

Maybe the teleported requires a beacon that connects to KSC, which is delivered by conventional means

You see, if its manned, the whole crew walks back to the KSC. When the 500t space station needs to be recovered, the KSP sells it on Kbay, where the buyer then deals with it themselves. This is also why you only get money for recovered parts.

I don't like to imagine any more - my current game rules are that I have to go get the crew myself. It's fun, and it pushes me to design in enough extra dV to land the crew at a place of my choosing. Also I've learned a lot about seaplanes. And stable planes that can fly hands-off at high warp. And when SSTO techs open up, the economics and time savings are substantial. 

A team of kerbals lifts up the ship and carries it home.  This is rather tiring so they attempt to eat the thing as a snack.  The further they have to bring it back to KSC, the more "snack damage" occurs.  This is why landing far away from KSC returns less kredits/roots than landing on KSC.

It might be that they just take an orbital laser and zap the stuff out of existence before quietly cloning the Kerbals and the parts that were "recovered".

Someone's missing an opportunity for a land train.

The recovery equipment consists of 5 miles of 'Area 51' tape, welding equipment and (initially) 15 truck-loads of snacks.  The actual crew consists of three Kerbals - one welder to dismantle the vehicle, one driver/stacker to load the components onto the return transport and a heavily armed snack-guard.

Kerbals invent things in reverse order.  They invent rockets, then planes, then wheels, then ladders.  But the first thing they invented was the matter to energy transporter.

Upon returning home, Jebediah has been known to yell the phrase "Beam me up Skotty" over the radio, but nobody really knows what that means.  The transporter operator's name is Frank.

Edited by Alshain

I think Ultimate Steve  solution is pretty good. It explains why there are no house and cities on Kerbin. I have always imagined it was a bit more like K'n-yan in H. P. Lovecraft's "The Mound",

From Wikipedia:

K'n-yan is a blue-lit cavern beneath Oklahoma. It is inhabited by a human-like race that resemble the Native Americans of the area, though they are actually extraterrestrials who arrived in prehistoric times. They are immortal and have powerful psionic abilities, including telepathy and the ability to dematerialize at will. They are also technologically advanced, using machines that employ principles of atomic energy.

Although, I rather like Snark's suggestion. 

35411461502_e5f54694dc_o.png

Well you've seen the crew that wanders about in the VAB and SPH, all those vehicles racing around running over Kerbals and such. So, it's easy to imagine their recovery team, much of the same... Kerbals numbering in the dozens, milling about willy-nilly, with service vehicles doing the death race all over the place running over the recovery crew.

It's truly amazing that any science gets done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.